Fuel shut off valve placement tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, my original plan was to put in a fuel shut off valve on my rear auxillary tank when I pulled it out to clean and line it.... based on a tip I built a few from www.mcmaster.com recently. Since I was buying, and they were cheap, I also bought one for the front.

So, the question is placement. It seems pretty logical, but when under the truck I see a lot of locations for placement, but there is more than just shutting of the fuel to consider.....

valve.jpg

REAR AUXILLARY:
my original plan was to put it right inline after it comes out of the tank between the outlet and the rear fuel pump. this way, if the line ever gets cut, I can shut it off real close to the 22 gallon tank. but, the more I look at it, these valves are a bit longer and heavier than expected when built (maybe 4") and the amount of fuel line right out of the outlet before it curves to level out and travels to the fuel pump is short. it 'could' fit though. but, once the bend is over and it levels out, there is a good level fuel line along the frame rail to the rear pump. Now I am thinking about placing it on the frame rail in the more level piece of fuel line (and supportive frame rail), but that seems to defeat the purpose as that leaves 1' of line back to the tank outlet where it could get cut?

FRONT:
similar scenario as above. could place on a more curved piece of fuel line right out of the tank or on a more flat and level section of line right along the framme rail, but that would mean about 1' of fuel line back to the tank outlet rather than right at the tank.

advice?

If it were me, I'd try and place is someplace that's easy to access, yet out of the way and not too noticable and not worry about that 1' section in between the tank and the valve. What are the chances of that short section of line getting cut? If you're worried about leaking fuel, you'd probably want something that you don't have to crawl under the car to get to.

BTW, in case anyone interested.. if you have

5/16 fuel line use parts: 4912k47 valve + 5346k16 fittings

1/4 fuel line use parts: 4912k47 valve + 5346k14 fittings

petcock it is.

you know, it has a security bonus feature for sure if I wanted to shut them both down BUT that was not my initial intention. it spawned more from recently taking out my rear tank and realizing ... WTF would I do if that fuel line got cut back near the 22 gallon aux tank as it is a bit exposed and a long ass fuel line to the front? spill all the fuel? I know chances are slim, but I also noticed that changing fuel filters (as I have one for the rear tank as well naturally) would be enhanced if I could shut fuel lines down. easier than putting a clamp on each line in either case.... not to mention the inherent safety aspect also. so I figured, it seemed smart to just add one inline... and hell, might as add one to the front as they were cheap.

I know it is not rocket science placing these, but I wanted to see what people thought as I only want to cut my fuel lines 1 time to add these inline so maybe I was missing something obvious someone else would see before cutting.

on my 55 i ran the fuel line into the cab to a "t" fitting, then to two ball type brass valves, then back out under the pasenger seat. one of my tanks is in the stock location behiind the rear axle and the other is between the frame rails in front of the rear axle. the valves are easy to reach, even while driving, on the side of the t-case hump, just in front of the seat rail.
only problem i have had is pluging a pickup screen on my front tank.
stock chev mechanical pump.
hth, carl

installed them the other day.

rear - in frame rail between pump and auxillary tank.
valve_rr.jpg

front - on frame rail between tank and fuel pump
valve_fr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom