Pitman arm removal (already searched) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy-

I am knee deep in getting my PS conversion today and I have run into the snag of getting the pitman arm off. I have read all the related posts here and have a better game plan in place to get after it now.

However, I had a question, I have a gear box out of an 84 minitruck. The mini's pitman arm has a considerable curve inboard in comparison to the LC pitman. Is is necessary to get the LC pitman onto the Mini gear box or will either one do the job?

I figured if it doesn't HAVE to be replaced I might be good to go.

Thanks agian.

Rezarf <><

You need to use the Land Cruiser pitman arm....

You need a Snap-On style puller or equivalent... everything else sucks for trying to remove those damn things.

LIKE THIS

I have two CJ119B.....they are the s***, hands down for this job.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks Steve, I always appreciate your advice.

That was what I was afraid of. I will try all the tricks first and slap down for the good puller if all else fails.

Thanks again Steve.

Rezarf <><

I second that, I used one from Sears.....a craftman. I tore the hell of it. I took down to Sears I got a replacement. When it popped off it flew like a rubberband. So Be careful......I was being careful but it happened. I used PB Blaster prior to removal several time during the week and during removal.

While you're looking for that pitman arm puller, load the pitman arm shaft up with Kroil and let it sit, refreshing daily. Once the puller is in place and tensioned, I found that tapping (somewhat solid hits) the arm with a ballpeen helps get the arm moving as you tighten the puller. The vibes from the taps seem to do the trick.

I got the SST from OTC. It's quite massive.

wherever you get the puller, make sure they'll take it back...I had my good one on "loan" and bought a cheapie for a spare...broke it, returned it, broke the next one, gave up and tracked down my nice one.

Tighten it down, little PB or whatever to loosen stuff, WHACK the arm with a hammer and it outta just "fall" off...may need to tighten/whack a few times to get it to drop.

screw the ballpeen...I use a maul...just don't miss ;)

My ballpeen is 24oz. and yeah, I probably did whack it after a few shots, now that I think about it. :D

I beat mine to death.......it evantually came off. It's easier said then done in some cases.:)

Heat

Had to heat mine, beat it with the hammer and waa laa it came off.

1/2" or 3/4" drive impact wrench has worked well for me...

Had one that needed a little heat...but it was removed also.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks everyone for helping out.

Actually after reading this:

"hit both sides at the same time with a 5 lb. sledge in each hand. it will take maybe 2 hits but it will pop right off . like it does not make sense to hit it on the sides , like it would pinch it or something , but it works . old school flathead engine guy showed me this. He's the same guy that sells the Stromberg coffee cups if ya seen em."

by Peesalot.

It came off first hit. Cool trick worked like a charm.

Rezarf <><

Good deal!

:beer:

I was just reading your thread and thinking ,"try the two hammer trick" :)
I had to place mine on an anvil and hit it with a good sized hammer. It took 8 minutes, I timed it. Glad to see it came off for you!

Another trick I have used several times is an air chisel/hammer. Get your puller on good and tight then place a blunt straight chisel in the tool. Place it against the arm on the back side on top of the splines and give it a couple of blasts. Repeat till it comes off, it usually only takes one or two trys.

REZARF , cool huh ? , I seen this ole fellar do it and was like , " ah hell this aint gonna go ." . Then bang , 1 shot and the arm flies onto floor.
This ole timer holds the land speed record for a flathead , guess he knows a thing or two.

Good to know:)....will try that next time.

Just a note on the older manual steering box. On my 2/71 an inner axle seal is the exact same seal as the steering box outer seal. The one behind the pitman arm. That's what I'm running in it now and no leaks so far.

peesalot said:
REZARF , cool huh ? , I seen this ole fellar do it and was like , " ah hell this aint gonna go ." . Then bang , 1 shot and the arm flies onto floor.
This ole timer holds the land speed record for a flathead , guess he knows a thing or two.

Peesalot-

That was a SWEET tip. After reading up on your post I thought, yeah, just ne more thing to do to make it work, like everything works for everyone else. But seriously, first swing when they both connected at the same time and boing! Off she went...

...made me jump when it finally let go!

Thanks again man!

Rezarf <><

Word , To all the hats in Texas , " see I am worth something "......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom