Intake manifold porting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
The 1FZ has nice loooking intake manifold... but it could use some work! Match porting and cleaning up inside the runners is not as bad as one may think. The manifold is a 2 piece design, unbolt the upper from the lower and about 75% of the interior can be reached for porting. Here's a bad picture of a partially match ported lower intake.

P1010480_0.JPG

That leaves the upper unreachable 25% however, along with the plenum, which are probably in need of the most porting work. That equals fun time for me... time to cut! The manifold has temporarily become a 3 piecer.... The only way to reach.

P1010477_1.JPG

Although all of the intake bells need some attention paid, the #6 runner, which is at the left of the above picture, needs the most attention. It, along with the adjacent #3, are very close to the throttle body. The air travels through the t-body and is then forced to make an extreme right or left turn to enter these runners. The inside turn in the manifold here is stepped in, too, this dosn't help. The following pic shows it a little better.

P1010478_0.JPG

One can also see how the #6 inlet bell is oval in shape. Exterior throttle cable levers require a little clearance, so the #6 runner makes room. There is also a small bump down the runner a bit further due to a mounting boss for the EGR valve.

Speaking of the EGR... ever notice how the tube runs a good portion of the #6 runner before the exhaust is injected. Go with me on this... Cylinder 6 is where the gasket blows, I've seen several, they blow the fire ring in the same spot every time. So not only is cylinder 6 last in line to get coolant, it has a nice hot EGR cooler right behind it, not to mention a slightly restricted runner feeding it, with an extra dose of heat from the built in EGR tube. Is it really any wonder cylinder 6 slowly detonates until the fire ring goes bye bye in the same spot everytime?

More pictures as it progresses....

Last edited:
I am really enjoying following your buildup hi performance motor and tranny. Is this motor from your 93?

Are you going to keep it naturally aspirated, turbo, super charger or what?

I've heard about an abrasive gel that can be pumped through heads, intakes, etc. like a jell hone, but I can't remember the name of the process. Would this type porting help or is it really to expensive or not ideal?

Keep the cool pictures and story line coming. Thanks for clueing us in.

This engine is from a 93 I purchased for parts, my stock engine had a mysterious knock I was not comfortable with...

This engine is normally aspirated.

Extrude Hone though very trick and effective, is expensive. $775 for a 2 piece 6 cylinder manifold. It also can't ad material, which can be required when playing with manifolds.

I hope my clues are not wrong. :D

more intresting work Brian.

the only problem with this is you are making so many changes at once that we won't know what to attribute your new oomph to...

Though it does seem like the engine is receiving many many mods, they are all fairly standard improvements to a production engine. You correct that we won't know if one item is the big gain, but if the 1FZ responds as do most engines, all the little things will ad up to the total gain.

As time permits, I could produce another manifold such as this for someone to try out.

It would definitely be interesting to have the ported manifold bench tested compared to stock, but without a ported head won't the benefits of increased airflow be limited by corrections to the MAF?

well I am displaying my ignorance of these matters again. on reflection i am pretty sure I don't know what I am talking about but fwiw here is what i was thinking...

if porting increases the efficiency of uncompressed airflow into the engine wouldn't the ECU detect this and think the engine is running lean and limit the airflow getting to the throttle body?

I think the MAF sensor would pick up the air intake before the ported intake, therefore the airflow in the ported intake would be "freer flowing" and not affected by the MAF sensor.

Brian,

did you have the manifolds bench flowed before doing all of this work in order to come up with a baseline? If so, let us know when you get the next set of numbers.

Ali

concretejungle said:
I think the MAF sensor would pick up the air intake before the ported intake, therefore the airflow in the ported intake would be "freer flowing" and not affected by the MAF sensor.

but wouldn't the o2 sensor detect a lean condition and the ECU adjust airflow accordingly?

The short answer, the airflow sensor detects an increase in airflow, so the ECU see's more fuel is needed... more air and fuel = more power.

The O2 sensor can allow the ECU to richen and lean the engine to a certain degree.

I do not have a baseline yet.

I realize I'm reviving a 6 y.o. thread, but I was wondering whatever became of this project - I'm getting ready to install my supercharger this summer & having some minor tune-up work on the intake manifold seems like a winner for this.....

My experience from 3 years of drag racing is that you can do a bunch of modifications and never make any difference unless you find what the bottleneck is for making more power. In addition, a lot of things don't make much difference until you get into greater than 6,000 RPM, which is fine for drag racing, but may not be much use for a street car. It is much more liable to go to a guy that builds these engines for racing and rely on their experience than guessing.

Speaking of the EGR... ever notice how the tube runs a good portion of the #6 runner before the exhaust is injected. Go with me on this... Cylinder 6 is where the gasket blows, I've seen several, they blow the fire ring in the same spot every time. So not only is cylinder 6 last in line to get coolant, it has a nice hot EGR cooler right behind it, not to mention a slightly restricted runner feeding it, with an extra dose of heat from the built in EGR tube. Is it really any wonder cylinder 6 slowly detonates until the fire ring goes bye bye in the same spot everytime?

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head with this. Many other people have had the same thing happen. A good reason to get rid of the EGR. Would it be easy to re-route the EGR so that it feeds exhaust gas to ALL the cylinders (if you must have EGR)?

Very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom