Adjustable caster modification final picture (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Here is the first installment of how to build an adjustatable caster system for your FJ80 radius arm front axle. Toyota has graciously supplied us with most of the required parts to perform this mod from the cam bolts to the metal brackets they ride in.

The weld on brackets could be fabbed up and the cam bolts purchased from Toyota. However, purchasing the the lower front frame chunk from an 86 - 95 Toyota IFS mini truck or 4-Runner 4x4 will give you all the required parts and run about $10 - $20 from a salvage yard.

Picture of the mini frame section.

P1010027_0.JPG

Picture of the lower bracket sections which were cut from the lower frame section and new cam bolts (the old bolts were a bit crusty).

P1010028_0.JPG

Part #'s for cam bolts (2 of each)
Cam assy, camber 48190 35020
Cam, camber adjuster 48198 35010
Nut 90179 16005

More to come later today or tomorrow.

More... well, a little bit.... The weather was just soooo nice today, I decided to take off on a mountain bike ride with my father. I did manage to slot the stock brackets for increased caster. OOooooooo, ahhhhhhhh..... try to pick your axle up like that with a stock track bar connected, note angle of joint. :flipoff2:

P1010030_1.JPG

Despite the offer for another bike ride, I chose to stay in the garage this afternoon. In the picture below, you can see the mini brackets installed with all gusseting and such. They are rather easy to place on the existing bracket with a few tacks. The top of the slot on the mini bracket aligns with the bottom of the stock hole, if it was still there... lmk if that is not clear. Large gussets are run rearward and forward. I decided to sort of 'box' the front to help the bracket resist the twist that articulation induces, this should help prevent tearing or cracking of the welds. More later.

P1010031_0.JPG

Here is the completed mod... I'm sure a few things were left out, I will ad them as I remember. Another bonus to the mod is the ability to change the pinion angle, although it obviously will change caster at the same time, a happy balance could be reached. Ask any questions if you have them. :cheers:

P1010029_0.JPG

Last edited:
Adjustable caster modification

Thanks Brian,

I'll be awaiting more updates :cheers:

Re:Adjustable caster modification (teeny update!)

You have any more pics of your trackbar setup? Or even a writeup on it? I was just thinking how much that would probably help flexing and such. So curious what joint you put on the end of that trackbar.

Thanks,
Mark Brodis

Looks great. That kind of adjustability coupled with the ease of install of Christo's phantom plates and it would be the ideal solution giving the owner the ability to adjust his height as he builds and always being able to keep the caster in spec.

Really nice job :cheers:

swanky...

NICE JOB...hey, how did you do that drop for your front spring bump stop?

K

Thanks for the comps! :beer:

The bumpstops are dropped 2.25" with some simple sections of 2.5" tubing. The stock 'cup' that the bump stop compresses into is a snug fit into the tubing, it was then welded to the upper part. A 3.5" bolt was then used to bolt the bumpstop back in, it reaches up to the stock welded in nut. I did a similar drop to the rear bumpers. The inner bumps also need to be dropped, pics available if you want to see them.

Nice job on adj caster install,Now I see how it works I was thinkin sdrawkcab (backwards) if you saw my first post. Bill

[quote author=fjjunkie link=board=2;threadid=14959;start=msg141992#msg141992 date=1082434789]
...When the adjuster rotates the center to center distance of the bushing holes where the bolts go through gets longer and shorter. That creates excessive pressure on the rubber in the bushing. This might make the rubber fail or come loose...
[/quote]

Solution = add same eccentric cam bolt setup to back side of axle. Would also provide greater caster adjusment range.

Brian,

Have you done the math or have any guess as to the range of adjustability?

-B-

Rich, the rear caster bolt is not workable due to the design of the stock radius arm. Having just the front bolts in place will allow the the axle to be rotated far enough that the tie rod will rest on the radius arms. That is bad, during articulation, the arms twist and will bend the rod, so it needs to be backed away from the arms.

Beowulf, I do not have any caster angle measurements. My guess, from just right to more than enough. :D I first did this mod to my 4-runner a while back, it had 4 - 5" of lift, and this cured the death wobble it had w/o having to adjust it more than about 1/2 way. As soon as I can get it on an alignment rack, I should have some numbers.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=14959;start=msg141855#msg141855 date=1082421957]
Looks great. That kind of adjustability coupled with the ease of install of Christo's phantom plates and it would be the ideal solution giving the owner the ability to adjust his height as he builds and always being able to keep the caster in spec.

Really nice job :cheers:
[/quote]

Hey, I said before they are lying on my toolbox. We will fit them after Cruise Moab. However I can not see how the plates would work with Brian's setup. His is really a trick idea for those with the fab skills.

Hey Brian where do you live? Would you like to help me with my caster? :D

As I recall those plates haven't moved from that tool box in at least a month, maybe 4. They probably need to be dusted :D

Ohhhh neat. So when is Cruise Moab over? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom