Drag link Contacting Shock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi fellow cruiser heads,

I am at the point of frustration with my steering. I am starting to feel like I am the only guy that has had this happen to his 40, but I am hoping there is some one amoung you that can help or know the fix for this.

The issue is my drag link is contacting my drivers side shock as it swings through its arch. This has been happening since the HFS 4" lift was put in with the 2.5" shackles. I was told by ccot that the lift is too much (Not recommended:confused: ) so to speak. I require this much lift for my tires 33X12.5 not to rub with flexing.
My thoughs so far:
Does any one make a longer drop pitman arm?
A thinner bodied shock?
An upper shock mount that tilts the upper shock out & away from the drag link?

Anybody had this problem???? What is the best fix????

Thanks 2007.jpg
2007.jpg

you could more your shock out more I think that would fix it. Had the same problem on my soa so I went ps. :D

Eric

Thanks what i did, doesnt look very good, but it works for now till the ps goes in.

When you guys say PS, are you goinig to do Saginaw? Thanks for that quick response.

BTW I am not sure I want to go with the ford shock mounts. Not that i think it is a bad option, it is that the battery I have tray uses the stock mount (MAF)

Has anyone heard of a drop pitman arm for this?

Howdy! I would make custom lower shock mounts to move the bottom out far enough. You could adjust for shock length for lift. John

I would not go ford .I think you well be stuff in the same spot. as for ps, yes power steering. I like a the moving the lower shock mount better still

This is what happen to my shock :D

Eric
IMG_7956.JPG
IMG_7959.JPG

When you guys say PS, are you goinig to do Saginaw?

Have not decided what im gonna do. But saginaw seems to be the way to go. Good luck on the shock mount, im curious as to what your gonna do, making my mount was what i came up with, works for me. Goodluck

Have not decided what im gonna do. But saginaw seems to be the way to go. Good luck on the shock mount, im curious as to what your gonna do, making my mount was what i came up with, works for me. Goodluck

I like your option the best. I post pictures after the welding is done. Thanks Guys.

I did basically the same thing as 1974FJ, but without as long of an extension from the housing. Consider this. The shock moved into the line of fire of the drag link as a result of the lift. So, even if the shock bracket on the axle move straight up, it would also be moving away from the drag link.

Now if the bracket moved outwards towards the knuckle, it would also be moving away from the drag link. Sooooooo, rather than fabbing up a whole new mount, why not make a diagonal cut into the existing one, but not all the way thru, then bend the upper half of the bracket outwards towards the knuckle. Measure for clearance. If satisfactory, just fill in your pie-wedge shaped gap between the two halves of the stock bracket.

If not satisfactory, finish the cut thru the stock bracket and add a spacer of desired length between the two pieces of the stock bracket.

Best

Mark A.

think this happens for 3" or more lift with SUA.. and as others have mentioned, with SOA too..

i have approx 3-4" SUA lift with the diff moved about 2.5" forward..

this is before
DSC02706.JPG

DSC02684.JPG

DSC02664.JPG

and this is after
i make a bracket to space it out (not a completed yet, requires additional holes in this pic)
DSC04259.JPG

DSC04260.JPG

P3110086.JPG

you can see how its damaged the shock..
P3110005.JPG

sorry dont have a pic of the braket setup in place..

Rubbed on my SOA before the Cut and Turn went Saginaw after C&T and thus didn't have issue.

IMG_2523.JPG

It was a little concerning when wheeling cause it would cause the steering to bind. After a couple of wheeling trips it put a nice little dent in the shock. Never really was an issue after that. Though it didn't look pretty it never affected the performace of the crappy shock.

You are not alone. There are plenty of us out there. Aren't Bilstiens smaller?

What I did b/f I went Saginaw was to install a 3/4" scab plate b/w the steering pivot and the driver's side frame. This moved the draglink closer to the frame, but it did cost me a little on turning radius b/c the draglink t.r.e. hit the frame before I reached the maximum turning angle.

Is that clear as mud?

I'll see if I have any pics left on my computer when I get home tonight.

You guys are working too hard. Flip the shock upside down and then dent the shock body to clear the drag link. Works great!

:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom