Cruise Moab 2007 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I had a great time on Friday and in talking to many folks it looks like many are planning on attending.

I know this is pretty early for a May event (first Wed. in May?), but I kinda need to try an plan ahead. Job permitting, the CEO has given the thumbs up for us. I don't know how many from my tribe would attend (school, infant, etc), but it may be all of them.

There was also an informal discussion on abit of a 'pre-run' enroute to Moab. There is lots of cools stuff to see and do along the way. Hard to say if I can do that myself, but would love to.

Show of hands, who from the CSC is planning on going?

:cheers:

Ross

I already alerted work and have planned first 2 weeks of may for vacation for pre and post event exploration.

I may be able to do Fri - Sun. Depends on if I have a copilot/caravan to go with Thur night.
I only have one vacation day left, so I can't do much more than that.

I hadn't planned to go with CSC (this is the first I've heard of it), but I may be up there wheeling as my friends and I have tentatively planned a trip there in the beginning of May or late April. Hope to see you guys there. :)

Sean

I would like to go...When and where should I start making reservations for camping if they are needed?

I would like to go...When and where should I start making reservations for camping if they are needed?

Registration starts in January, that's also the time to reserve lodging. Moab has a ton of lodging choices, remote camping, reserved camp grounds with tent spaces, cabins, RV spaces and tons of hotels.

For info on Cruise Moab check the Trails - Events - Expeditions Forum. There are two threads going now.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=120168

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=109438

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/cmregister07.asp

I have no clue what trails to sign up for, but one has to be scenic and OK for a 6 mo as per the CEO's directions. :D

I am waiting on my TLCA sign up.

Any trail suggestions for me from those who know my rig and driving level?

I am 90% sure I can make it and I am also trying to convince Alvin to come. The family and I would be camping.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/cmregister07.asp

I have no clue what trails to sign up for, but one has to be scenic and OK for a 6 mo as per the CEO's directions. :D

I am waiting on my TLCA sign up.

Any trail suggestions for me from those who know my rig and driving level?

I am 90% sure I can make it and I am also trying to convince Alvin to come. The family and I would be camping.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

On the trails; Most trails have a higher rating than we would rate them, by probably a half a point. Most of them are all day, with some being very long, as in the sun will be long gone by the time you make it back to town.:D Some of them require a long highway run to the trail head making for a longer day.

Are you thinking about a locker? If so tossing an Aussie in the rear before you go would make some trails much easer and open up more trail possibilities.

One of the cool things about CM is meeting and wheeling with new people, but it would be fun to run together at least one day?

Some of us are planning to leave early and tour on the way up. If anyone wants to get in on that, post up and we can start planning trails and lodging.

I would like to go up with a group and possibly stay in the same area as you guys. I am looking at having 3-4 days for wheeling.

Thanks

An Aussie for the rear is not at the top of my mod list right now, though I can be convinced to alter the order a little. At some point I will need a front bumper and sliders, which were at the top of my list.

My thinking on adding any locker was to first learn to drive without them for the experience since I am greener than a green bean. :grinpimp:

I have seen first hand how well the Aussie works in an 80 (Alvin). In the end though I think I would prefer selectable at some point. What do I know, I'm a noob.

I agree that it would me fun to do one run as a group and then spread out like viruses. :bounce:

The earliest we could leave from Tucson is 3-4pm on Tuesday 5/1 (kids in school) and try to get to Flagstaff or Mexican Hat if possible on Tuesday and roll in to Moab on Wed morning.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

On the trails; Most trails have a higher rating than we would rate them, by probably a half a point. Most of them are all day, with some being very long, as in the sun will be long gone by the time you make it back to town.:D Some of them require a long highway run to the trail head making for a longer day.

Are you thinking about a locker? If so tossing an Aussie in the rear before you go would make some trails much easer and open up more trail possibilities.

One of the cool things about CM is meeting and wheeling with new people, but it would be fun to run together at least one day?

Some of us are planning to leave early and tour on the way up. If anyone wants to get in on that, post up and we can start planning trails and lodging.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Some of us are planning to leave early and tour on the way up. If anyone wants to get in on that, post up and we can start planning trails and lodging.

Well, I'm in 4 sure. I will sign up soon. I also plan on the Weekend departure to enjoy the sights during a leisurely cruise to Moab. So, I'm posted up and in the convoy:cheers: .

OK,

I'm thinking Porcupine Rim for the scenic run with the wife, girls and baby. If there is a run with better scenery that is low key, let me know. Probably Thursday as first choice of day.

I'm thinking that my rig can handle any of the 3+ trails without issues. I am thinking of Fins & Things for sure. That is either Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

I need another trail, and a back up as well. Maybe one of the 4's?

I am seriously considering calling up Aussie, but would like to hold off. :bounce:

I am not worried about bumper damage. I should have the rear taken care of by then (ALVIN!). My front bumper, meh. I should have the little piece bolted back on by tomorrow, very :hillbilly:. I just want it to be mostly serviceable until I see some of the new designs coming out.

Your truck would handle Hell's Revenge without issue, don't know about the driver, how is your fear of heights?:eek: :D

Moab rock has great grip and most of the time you don't need the locker, until you start lifting tires. My favorite trails are up on the rims, getting there includes lots of steps and some of them you cant drive straight on, so you windup with two "light" tires, being unlocked you will have spinning tires and be stopped. I wouldn't recommend any of the rim trails that they are offering other than Porcupine and maybe Gold Bar for your rig unlocked.

Heights? No problem when on foot. :hillbilly: As long as I am not first, no problem. I drove a big Dodge 15 passenger van up the Schaeffer trail a few years ago. I messed up my pants a couple of times when passing on coming traffic on the down hill side. :eek:

Hypothetically speaking :D, if an Aussie landed on my door step, which trails could I then consider? I agree, the rim trail would be much more fun for the scenery.

Your truck would handle Hell's Revenge without issue, don't know about the driver, how is your fear of heights?:eek: :D

Moab rock has great grip and most of the time you don't need the locker, until you start lifting tires. My favorite trails are up on the rims, getting there includes lots of steps and some of them you cant drive straight on, so you windup with two "light" tires, being unlocked you will have spinning tires and be stopped. I wouldn't recommend any of the rim trails that they are offering other than Porcupine and maybe Gold Bar for your rig unlocked.

Golden Spike is my favorite among the offered trails that I have run. But I wouldn't recommend it unlocked, even then you would probably be better off running it with someone you know to give good advice? It's a long day, you start by running Poison Spider, Golden Spike then Gold Bar all in one trail!

If we want to run a trail together we need to decide on a trail and day then we can all request that trail and note that we want to be together. Last year Claudia, Michael, Rob and I went up early and ran Hells on Wednesday. That worked well allowed us time to reset the oh-$hit meter, mess around and figure out that the truck really will stick to the rock at that angle:eek:, before being on the trail with 15 other trucks.:D

I am seriously considering calling up Aussie, but would like to hold off. :bounce:

I am not worried about bumper damage. I should have the rear taken care of by then (ALVIN!). My front bumper, meh. I should have the little piece bolted back on by tomorrow, very :hillbilly:. I just want it to be mostly serviceable until I see some of the new designs coming out.

I see the locker as a protection device, without it you need momentum in some situations, that and the tire spinning, bouncing can cause breakage and/or body damage. When locked you can be a much more controlled, smooth driver, reducing damage to the truck and trail.

Alvin has good things to say about the Aussie in the 80, he would be a better person to comment. But my take is that it's relatively inexpensive, easy to install and if you wanted to move to a selectable in the future, the Aussie could be sold recovering most of your investment?

On the front bumper, have you seen the trimmed stockers that some are running, Ammo is one? They remove the ends (your pretty good at that!) and trim the ends of the steel bar at and angle. Maybe get Alvin to bring home a heavy piece of that pipe he sells and weld it inside of the bumper between the mounts to give you a "hard point" to bump into rocks with without mangling it too bad?:hillbilly:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1148953909015116471RZwaKl

An Aussie for the rear is not at the top of my mod list right now, though I can be convinced to alter the order a little. At some point I will need a front bumper and sliders, which were at the top of my list.

My thinking on adding any locker was to first learn to drive without them for the experience since I am greener than a green bean. :grinpimp:

I have seen first hand how well the Aussie works in an 80 (Alvin). In the end though I think I would prefer selectable at some point. What do I know, I'm a noob.

difficult to decide priorities here - what I DO know, though, is:

the ONE thing I definitely noticed as a difference (out of all the technical things I got bored having to listen to before I got my own truck :rolleyes: ;)) was the locker in the rear of Michael's truck. That made a DIFFERENCE :beer:

as to whether sliders or locker come first - tough choice (personally, I'd rate the bumper as lesser priority compared to a locker)..........actually, I think I rate the locker highest no matter what :D

whether you need to learn to drive without one? you can try each way on every obstacle you encounter, if you wish, but I bet, soon enough, you'll have it figured out :flipoff2:

as far as constant versus selectable - pocketbook decides :frown: but IF you go for selectable, get the ARB :bounce: the one in the rear of my truck has been in there for at least 15 years and looked brand new last year when we looked ;)

you likely can do Hell's Revenge and Gold Bar Rim unlocked; at Blazer Bash (the K5/GMC event Michael goes to :hillbilly: ;p), there have been several unlocked stock vehicles on both trails over the years ;) like Kevin says, pucker factor is better on Hell's - and views are great, too - if the wife had any questions about wheeling, that trail is going to convince her one way or another :flipoff2: did it for me when I was still a passenger ;) ;p :flipoff2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom