Slider Steps - Now for something completely different! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You'll have to ignore the paint - I'm going to Herculine once I get the passenger side done. There are pins that hold them in the up possition. I have air cylinders that will be plumbed eventually to power them up and down. In the down possition they are a little lower than stock running boards. In the up possition they are as high up as any slider. Shape is custom made from 8", 3" and 2" x 3/16" steel. Shape obviously protects the whole rocker, and does not have any catch points. Outriggers are 2x2x1/4" square tube. Pivots are 3/8" grade 8 bolts. I have room to bore out to 1/2 if need be. I showed the frame mounts in a previous post.

Well, here's the pictures.....
Slider One.JPG
Slider Two.JPG
Slider Three.JPG

more....
Slider Four.JPG
Slider Five.JPG
Slider Six.JPG

link to previous post ? please.

they look good you may be on to something with the transformer style. I like the look.

I dig em, a lot. Only problem I could see would be shearing a pin or two and smashing that metal up into the doors. However, I feel that I am probably severely underestimating the strength of grade 8 bolts. No matter, though, I like them a lot. Let us know how they work! :beer: :beer: :beer:

now that I'm looking at them more, I really really like the looks of them up, and its a killer idea.

instead of plumbing what about a spring and hook that locks if they get pushed in to the up position. an "auto lock up" system?

as for bolts shearing go 1/2 grade 12.9 and call it a day.

76BigheadFJ40 said:
I dig em, a lot. Only problem I could see would be shearing a pin or two and smashing that metal up into the doors. However, I feel that I am probably severely underestimating the strength of grade 8 bolts. No matter, though, I like them a lot. Let us know how they work! :beer: :beer: :beer:

The pins that hold them only hold them up. What really keeps them from going into the body is they have stops into the outrigger. If it stops raining, I'll snap a shot of what I"m talking about. Or maybe this will help...
slider swing action.jpg

Nice!

Nice job, impressive design and execution. Definitely one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" things. I am anxious to hear how they work on the trail.

Looks really nice, great idea!

How much do those weigh? They look very robust.

That is slick. Now, all you need to do is hook hydraulics up to them, and have them go down when the vehicle is in park, and go up when in gear. ;)

Best Slider award...
Totally utilitarian as most 80 owners would keep them down 99.9% of the time. The percentage is the reason I built mine to be able to use as a step.

Great design imho. I've been looking at sliders from several vendors but none of them have this unique ability to retract. Best of both worlds. Wife and kids will be happy with the steps in the down position, and provides clearance and body protection in the up position. Only question will be how it holds up under trail use/abuse.

Just let us know if you ever decide to fab them for sale?

Nice job; out of the box thinking. Great!!!

I'd recommend having a backup to the shear pins. A more positive travel stop of some kind so that there's no way the sliders can be forced into the rocker panel.

Great Design. Can you leave them in the up position and still open the doors? It looks like it in the pictures, but not in the drawings. Also, if you leave them in the down position for the little lady, are they noisy (clank and clatter)?

notyourmomslx450 said:
Can you leave them in the up position and still open the doors? It looks like it in the pictures, but not in the drawings.

He shows in the drawings where the door opens right above the slider in the up position...

alia176 said:
I'd recommend having a backup to the shear pins. A more positive travel stop of some kind so that there's no way the sliders can be forced into the rocker panel.

Look at the lower drawing, there is one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom