What is safer a 2000 LC or 97 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If only I still had my 1988 911 hardtop...

There is a fun one in the snow, rain, and dry. I had my stepsister's 89 911 Cab (they thought I would buy it if I drove it, and I would have if it was a hardtop) for a while, and that thing suffered from terminal oversteer and terminal understeer depending on how hot you came into the corner. I did like when it pushed under throttle that you could drop throttle it to get the rear to come around.

Tech Content: Try doing that in a 100 with VSC.

doctah, sounds like you had lots of fun this morning! That is a lot where i go all out when theres some snow down, unless county police are there.
Lat 40*58'2"N
long 73*40'32"W

that thing suffered from terminal oversteer and terminal understeer depending on how hot you came into the corner. I did like when it pushed under throttle that you could drop throttle it to get the rear to come around.

All older 911s need you to have even more throttle control then wheel control in the turns.

Tech content: VSC nearly prevents any and all loss of control of a 5500lb+ truck...great feature.

how about starting a 911 thread in chat or OT, eh...? :)

how about starting a 911 thread in chat or OT, eh...? :)

Because:

1) Jamisobe will then tell us how the 911 doesn't really exist, the corvette is the only real car;

2) Eric will ask us why we hate pit bulls;

3) Junk will tell us we are a bunch of cockeyed mother f****rs;

4) Lunyou will feel compelled to write something that makes everyone question how he survived childhood;

5) Mickey Rubicon will complain that 911's are to small to lug jug wine;

6) Shahram will chime with a story about his experience with a 911 that will make me pee in my pants; and

7) Shotz won't be able to jump back in at some point and tell us how a 100 is the best vehicle in the world and would run circles around the 911 on the track.

This 100 vs 911 thread is interesting. I never had a hankering for a 911 or a Corvette, but it is satisfying to know that the 100 out performs both hot dog cars in the snow. Instead, I grew up liking the early Mustangs and had a few of them (65-67), they were terrible in snow.

Actually, my 911 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, 205s in the front and 215s(maybe 225s i forget) was on par with my LX in the snow. It could accelerate and handle just as well, just braking took longer in the porsche due to less weight. FYI, i run Michelin LTX M/S tires year round, stock 275/70/16s.

Actually, my 911 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, 205s in the front and 215s(maybe 225s i forget) was on par with my LX in the snow. It could accelerate and handle just as well, just braking took longer in the porsche due to less weight. FYI, i run Michelin LTX M/S tires year round, stock 275/70/16s.

I had a 84 911C, lived in KCMO at the time. Your post doesn't make any sense to me???

Side and side curtain airbags were an option beginning in 2003. As far as I know they're are still only optional. They were standard on the LX, but not sure from what year.

I think it was from '02 on.

I have both a 1997 Lexus LX-450 and a 2006 Toyota LC. The ASC saved my butt big time in a 2001 LC I had previous. I drive the 80 series and my lady drives the 100 series. There is no doubt it is the safer of the two (2) vehicles in my opinion.

Rich

I have both a 1997 Lexus LX-450 and a 2006 Toyota LC. The ASC saved my butt big time in a 2001 LC I had previous. I drive the 80 series and my lady drives the 100 series. There is no doubt it is the safer of the two (2) vehicles in my opinion.

Rich

Yesterday, Becky and I had our first TRUE TO LIFE experience regarding this issue.

We had finished our trail run and reached the main dirt road (one that I had not been on before). We were running late so I was moving. Bad boy.....at about 50MPH. Ahead in the road I noticed a slight dip followed by a big rise. I hit the brakes to slow, the 100 tracked stright UNTIL we were launched airborn by the dip. The danger factor was that the dip was "cross cut" so we were airborn in a "twisted" direction......we landed at about 30* heading for the ditch on the other side of the road. We knew one of two things would happen:

1. In my 80 we would have went off the road into the ditch at an angle then launched up the hillside at 40MPH and probably rolled due to the terrain, the angle and the speed.

2. In the 100 yesterday, the second we landed at that angle, VSC kicked in and straightened the thing out in an instant. We entered the ditch straight, coasted in it until we slowed and I could re-enter the road.

So, I was in error because I missed the dip and was going to fast. Other than that my driving was spot on. I don't see ever driving out of that airborn landing without the VSC...80 or 100 Hail to the 100! I thought we were going to wipe out. We didn't.

And by the way....if we were in the 80 I'd a never been going 50MPH in the first place. Maybe it's safer after all. :D

Yesterday, Becky and I had our first TRUE TO LIFE experience regarding this issue.

We had finished our trail run and reached the main dirt road (one that I had not been on before). We were running late so I was moving. Bad boy.....at about 50MPH. Ahead in the road I noticed a slight dip followed by a big rise. I hit the brakes to slow, the 100 tracked stright UNTIL we were launched airborn by the dip. The danger factor was that the dip was "cross cut" so we were airborn in a "twisted" direction......we landed at about 30* heading for the ditch on the other side of the road. We knew one of two things would happen:

1. In my 80 we would have went off the road into the ditch at an angle then launched up the hillside at 40MPH and probably rolled due to the terrain, the angle and the speed.

2. In the 100 yesterday, the second we landed at that angle, VSC kicked in and straightened the thing out in an instant. We entered the ditch straight, coasted in it until we slowed and I could re-enter the road.

So, I was in error because I missed the dip and was going to fast. Other than that my driving was spot on. I don't see ever driving out of that airborn landing without the VSC...80 or 100 Hail to the 100! I thought we were going to wipe out. We didn't.

And by the way....if we were in the 80 I'd a never been going 50MPH in the first place. Maybe it's safer after all. :D

Did Becky let you drive home? I bet she spanked your little butt or at least gave you a time out. :)

Did Becky let you drive home? I bet she spanked your little butt or at least gave you a time out. :)

We BOTH thought we were going to crash. It happened so fast and ended so fast I think we just changed the subject.

OK....I'll come clean. I did it on purpose just so she'd spank me. :D

An 80 owners perspective on something that has been overlooked. In an 80, the middle row seats do NOT have seat anchors to attach a car seat. Car seats are attached via seat belt. Having moved the car seat (and when younger the infant carrier) between my wifes vehicle (she has anchors) and mine, I find the anchors do a better job of securing the seat or seat base. The 100 series I have seen (please note I don't own a 100 and can't comment as to what year the anchors became standard) had them and looked well done.

Could side curtains be dangerous for children in car seats?

Just so you know, I come here quite a bit as we (wife and I) are talking about a used 100 or a Sienna mini van for her.

Buck Buchanan

An 80 owners perspective on something that has been overlooked. In an 80, the middle row seats do NOT have seat anchors to attach a car seat. Car seats are attached via seat belt. Having moved the car seat (and when younger the infant carrier) between my wifes vehicle (she has anchors) and mine, I find the anchors do a better job of securing the seat or seat base. The 100 series I have seen (please note I don't own a 100 and can't comment as to what year the anchors became standard) had them and looked well done.

Just so you know, I come here quite a bit as we (wife and I) are talking about a used 100 or a Sienna mini van for her.

Buck Buchanan

I'm not a huge fan of the child seat anchors. They're semi-convenient, but the anchor belts are significantly narrower and thinner compared to the regular seat belts. I'm sure the child seat anchor belts are adequate by DOT standards and what not, but, a regular seat belt is designed to restrain adult occupants... many times the weight of a child in a car seat. I prefer to use beefier regular seat belts to secure my kids' car seats into our vehicles for my own peace of mind.

I'm not a huge fan of the child seat anchors. They're semi-convenient, but the anchor belts are significantly narrower and thinner compared to the regular seat belts. I'm sure the child seat anchor belts are adequate by DOT standards and what not, but, a regular seat belt is designed to restrain adult occupants... many times the weight of a child in a car seat. I prefer to use beefier regular seat belts to secure my kids' car seats into our vehicles for my own peace of mind.

My '98 doesn't have child seat anchors, unfortunately. I find them to be WAY more secure than regular seat belts. In both our Benz and LC, securing with seat belt still leaves the child seats a bit loose. With the anchors, the child seat becomes much more solid and less prone to shifting.

Are you guys talking about LATCH anchors? Or top tether anchors? For LATCH, I think their real value is that they make it easier and more convenient to mount the seat correctly and safely, whereas seat belts require a bit more attention. So the advantage is that more people will use them correctly, versus regular seat belts where more people will probably mount them incorrectly.

I think under a certain weight, LATCH anchors are fine (but I'm not an automotive engineer). But it is telling that the manufacturers recommend that you stop using the LATCH anchors and switch to regular a seatbelt when the child reaches a certain weight (I think 40 or 48 pounds for our truck).

In all of the vehicles we have owned where we have had cause to mount a car seat, I have found the seat belts more secure than LATCH. You just have to really get on it to mount it (literally - put your knee in the seat, apply all your weight, take up the slack in the seat belt, bounce a few times and repeat). This includes the 100, a SAAB, and two Mercedes.

Buck Buchanan

If so, the Land Cruisers and LX470s equipped with them has a button near the mirror adjustments that actually disables the "Roll Sensing Curtain Airbags"

If the children are in child seats (or even full height boosters), this should not be a problem. Their head will never be near the window, which is where the curtain airbag deploys. If not (say they're older and in a booster with no head restraint), then yes, it can be an issue. But as Roverrad95 points out, they can be manually disabled.

Nope it does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom