What is safer a 2000 LC or 97 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lock the center diff and get back to me next time it snows...it can do it.

So does that mean the VSC can be shut off, or that you have just managed to exceed it's limits?

So does that mean the VSC can be shut off, or that you have just managed to exceed it's limits?

VSC is automatically disabled when the CDL is locked. I didn't figure that out until after playing in the snow. It's too @#$% cold to snow here right now, but I'll be out playing next time it does. :D

I wish it would snow here. every winter I go drifting when we have the big one....I don't think were getting it here this year. should have gone to colorado for a few months.

Ok, on my very fun exit off the interstate that I always attack as hard as possible, i always cut across the white line and get close to the cement devider on the right side. Well today, at about 65 i came off the highway and was apexing the turn. There was a 6foot 2x4 laying directly across the shoulder with nails sticking out of it. I swirved, tapped the brakes and corrected. TRAC/VSC kicked in and totally straightened my truck out with me not having to do much but steer. Was awesome. Truck just replanted itself after i made the evasive manuver. Now, that type of manuver i did would be something you would do on the highway when someone slams on the brakes when your not expecting it. I smiled and said to myself, ill have to post this on 'mud later in that which is safer thread.

Put em in the 2000+ and dont look back.

Oh my god....if I would have wrote this the 100/Shotts-haters would have posted up a storm. They be pointing out what expert drivers they were and would say that electronic stuff is for wusses and has no place in their vehicles. :D

Oh my god....if I would have wrote this the 100/Shotts-haters would have posted up a storm. They be pointing out what expert drivers they were and would say that electronic stuff is for wusses and has no place in their vehicles. :D

Well, not from this "gang member." I have no problem with all the traction aids possible for those conditions, and have said so on many occassions, including post #11 in this very thread! In fact, I've never said electronics were the reason I would not take an IFS 100 Series on a round-the-world expedition. I actually trust Toyota electronics.

Of course, what I would say in this case is that it's not a damn Porsche, drive it like the 2+ ton, high CoG vehicle that it is. To do otherwise on public roads is simply irresponsible, no matter how many electronic aids you have or how many Bob Bondurant classes you have taken.

At least when I was 19 and drove like this, I was in a car better suited to this type of driving. :flipoff2:

My $0.02,

Of course, what I would say in this case is that it's not a damn Porsche, drive it like the 2+ ton, high CoG vehicle that it is.

I used to drive a '91 911, no traction control or stability systems. Only very basic ABS. Ive had to correct that on some hairy turns, takes much more finesse and driver control over the LX to keep planted at the outer limits of its performance capibilities.

Im only here to share experiences with the technology related to the 100, and I just felt like sharing how well the 100s TRAC/VSC keeps a driver safe. I didnt need the trac/vsc to kick in, I could have corrected myself, however some people might freak out in such a situation and with Toyotas electronic systems, it keeps those people from harming themselves, or others.

My wife does not like to practice with the vehicles in the snow, gravel, etc. so the 100 is the safest vehicle I know for her. She loves its visibility, control, comfort, and safety. I am glad she does not have to be an expert in vehicle control and maneuvers to be a confident and safe driver in a wide variety of conditions. I am very impressed with the TRAC/VSC. The 100 is by far the best for the family.

Now, having a 97 LX for the second vehicle is a great option for someone who enjoys "practicing" in a variety of conditions, etc.

Wife took the LX to work today, I took "her" car... :crybaby:

here is my .02 worth i smashed my 99 b/c it had no trac cont (heavy rain bimmer clipped my front bumper coming into my lane spun out hit guard rail) i miss the quality on te old one but the peace of mind with all the extras is worth it besides that the newer ones have side air bags but i think they came 05 or newer.

here is my .02 worth i smashed my 99 b/c it had no trac cont (heavy rain bimmer clipped my front bumper coming into my lane spun out hit guard rail) i miss the quality on te old one but the peace of mind with all the extras is worth it besides that the newer ones have side air bags but i think they came 05 or newer.

my 2004 has side air bags and side curtain air bags.

I used to drive a '91 911, no traction control or stability systems. Only very basic ABS. Ive had to correct that on some hairy turns, takes much more finesse and driver control over the LX to keep planted at the outer limits of its performance capibilities.

And I applaud you, I hear those old 911's are twitchy beasts. I've only got experience in a newer Turbo (996), which of course has all-wheel drive and stability control to help tame that goofy rear engine weight bias.

But I still stand by what I said. On a public road, I see absolutely NO reason to be driving ANY vehicle at the limit, whether a 911 or a 100 Series. Deserted snowy parking lots or closed-circuit tracks are another matter, of course.

BTW, I join you in drinking from the 911 Kool-Aid! :cheers:

my 2004 has side air bags and side curtain air bags.

Side and side curtain airbags were an option beginning in 2003. As far as I know they're are still only optional. They were standard on the LX, but not sure from what year.

BTW, I join you in drinking from the 911 Kool-Aid! :cheers:

My name is Cary, and I have a Porsche problem. :D :D It seems to be a common disease. I have a 964 C2 on the shopping list.

VSC is automatically disabled when the CDL is locked. I didn't figure that out until after playing in the snow. It's too @#$% cold to snow here right now, but I'll be out playing next time it does. :D

Good to know. Is there a way to disable the traction control also so it doesn't hammer as it tries to switch power side to side?

My name is Cary, and I have a Porsche problem. :D :D It seems to be a common disease. I have a 964 C2 on the shopping list.

yup i had a 964 C4 cabriolet, black on white interior. My porsche problem has reached my email address, AIM login, every poster on my wall, over 50% of my scale model collection, and even buying 100$+ wall emblems from the dealer. Just picked up a 1:43rd scale #8 of 300 hand crafted 911 Turbo Targa 3.3 models, to the tune of about 240 dollars.

930S Turbo Slant Nose is on my short list. AFAIC they still haven't topped that one.

Cruiser content: the 100 Series' brakes are so good, they slow it from 60-0 faster than a Porsche 911 Turbo! :flipoff2:

993 C4S for me...one day!

Cruiser content: I want another 100 :flipoff2:

Performance cars?

I sold my 2005 300hp Subaru STI to buy the LC. The STI was an amazing vehicle and I hope to someday get another.

Mike.

:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

3" of the white stuff last night. Visited my friendly local Unitarian Church parking lot on the way to work. Locked the CDL and got in 5 minutes of power slides on the way to work. I love trying to slide the length of the lot (about 100 yds) without spinning out or straightening out. Perfect way to start the day!

Tech content: the VSC does indeed shut off when the CDL is locked.

If only I still had my 1988 911 hardtop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom