Is there a hood lock for a FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if there is any way of locking the FJ40 hood? I have seen hood locks on the net for jeeps, but will they fit on a FJ40. I have also seen where a guy welded a plate on the bottom of his hood, and another on the top of his grille support and drilled a hole throught it and put a padlock in it, but it looked kind of ugly. Any ideas?

see this
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=19409

bushwacker said:
I was wondering if there is any way of locking the FJ40 hood? I have seen hood locks on the net for jeeps, but will they fit on a FJ40. I have also seen where a guy welded a plate on the bottom of his hood, and another on the top of his grille support and drilled a hole throught it and put a padlock in it, but it looked kind of ugly. Any ideas?

Locking hood

When I bought my Cruiser the PO had a hood lock rigged up. It consisted of a cable wrapped around the drivers-side front corner support for the hood, that dropped straight down to the frame when the hood was closed. An eye-bolt was installed into an existing hole on top of the frame, and the llop in the end of the cable was padlocked to the eye bolt. These parts were visible if you were looking for them, and could be reached easily enough to use, but weren't as obvious as some other contraptions I have seen or heard of.

I ended up removing it because I wasn't as paranoid as the PO was and I use the vehicle mostly off-road and for weekend errands, and I've not had anything taken from under the hood, although I did have the interior robbed many years ago before I was able to garage it overnight.

HTH

I have a pair of Mr. Gasket hood locks, can get them from Jegs, Summit, etc. Under the hood I bolted a 'L' shaped piece of steel to the radiator supports and the hoodlock bolt to the top of the 'L'. Then mounted the lock parts through the hood. Just remember to unlock them while off road since the hood flexing will snap off the bolts. Real simple to do.

Joseph

These are all good ideas for keeping people out of your engine compartment you don't want in there, I might try the one described by Desertdave, I think I could rig that up for free, as I have all of the parts already...Thanks

Desertdave said:
When I bought my Cruiser the PO had a hood lock rigged up. It consisted of a cable wrapped around the drivers-side front corner support for the hood, that dropped straight down to the frame when the hood was closed. An eye-bolt was installed into an existing hole on top of the frame, and the llop in the end of the cable was padlocked to the eye bolt. These parts were visible if you were looking for them, and could be reached easily enough to use, but weren't as obvious as some other contraptions I have seen or heard of.

I ended up removing it because I wasn't as paranoid as the PO was and I use the vehicle mostly off-road and for weekend errands, and I've not had anything taken from under the hood, although I did have the interior robbed many years ago before I was able to garage it overnight.

HTH

Couldn't someone just un-bolt the eyebolt from the frame?

fj-40 hood lock

Has anyone tryied one of these?

HOOD LOCK & STARTER CUT-OUT SYSTEM : JC Whitney, Parts and Accessories

Mike El Paso TLCA 8009

1977 FJ-40
1985 FJ-60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom