Transgo kit / Valve body gaskets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lol, not today. Got the VB all back in and buttoned up. Parts store gave me the wrong filter kit so had to order that. Back at it tomm. Will be awhile until I have results as I am doing a ton of work on the 80 right now including HG.

Way to stay with it. We are itching to hear how it works.

So where did this end up? Have you had it off road?

I like the hold in low first gear option and this prevents me from having to go lockup switch. Hill descent is now handled. Very tempted to buy this.

Did you notice any wheel spin off road with the crisper shifts? I'm worried that a firm shift means spin and loss of traction on a slippery climb

Offroad in tricky situations you will have it locked down to 1st anyways so you won't have to worry about the shift. If you need extra wheel speed and you shift up to 2nd or drive more than likely it is because you want to spin, like, mud, snow, wet rocks, etc. If you are on dirt and just cruising in L, you can just put it in 2nd and use 2nd start and skip the harsh L to 2nd shift. I am not really sure I see a situation where I would be climbing a very steep, precarious rock face and have it in D. But your mileage will vary of course.

Last edited:
When I was chatting with Rodney at Wholesale, this was the response: "Heavy throttle on a loose surface in low range could spin the wheels on gear change with the extreme valve bodies, Nomad is more common to use off road and is what I use as well."

So for the transgo would you select truck or hot rod? Was hoping to hear impressions of the truck mode

Scott - which version did you do?

Cool! I'm assuming you've not seen any problems like the one I've described above?

No like I said I think it comes down to knowing how to operate the vehicle. If I was in loose soil, or gravel and low range and just put it in D and was mashing the throttle, than yes I know I could get the tires to break loose on the 1-2 up shift as it is rather harsh even stock. But if I am in that situation, I put it in 2nd and use the 2nd gear start button. If I need first for some really sketchy situations I put it in L and it won't shift and break traction. Really it doesn't take much to think ahead and plan accordingly. You can drive this transmission just like a manual if you want.

1st - L
2nd - 2 with 2nd start button pushed
3rd - D with OD off button pushed
4th - D

The only really harsh shift that would break traction in slow speed situations were I would be worried about losing traction is the 1-2 shift. The others are not as bad and look like I said earlier, if you're in low range and 3 or 4 gear, you're probably looking for wheel speed and breaking traction is the last of your worries.

Not really looking for a operation/driving lesson, more of a answer as to has this happened based on having the kit in the tranny. For me its about building it the right way for my use. Without knowing first hand what the vehicle's response is to either hot rod or truck it would be nice to know before starting.

There are lots or reasons to have reasonable momentum in 2nd gear and 3rd off road - especially towing. Rodney' extreme would not suit me and is geared towards street - having enough oomph to spin on a gear change defeats off road use. It doesn't sound like the hot rod version of the Transgo has this problem.

But that's still a guess, as no one has really mentioned/answered my question. Lack of a answer may mean its not an issue.

Thanks Scott,

I think I did get my answer. Heading to the tranny shop this Friday to order up.

still working on the truck guys, nothing to report, the machine shop has been taking forevor with the head, 3+ weeks but am picking it up tomm......

Thanks Scott,

I think I did get my answer. Heading to the tranny shop this Friday to order up.

Get a chance to complete the install? Wondering what your impressions are on and off road...

I did order the kit and set up a day for install. When the day came and I arrived for the appointment the shop hadn't ordered it in. This was just before heading out for a 3 day trip where I got to use my new t-case reduction gears . I figured the new gears solved my concerns so never did go back in and have the kit installed.

Finished the transgo along with the engine work awhile back, very happy with the results. Much quicker shifting and complements the sc nicely. Make sure you adjust your kickdown cable per the fsm, makes a huge difference

Finished the transgo along with the engine work awhile back, very happy with the results. Much quicker shifting and complements the sc nicely. Make sure you adjust your kickdown cable per the fsm, makes a huge difference

Good to know, did you end up going with the truck or hot rod setting? *edit* nevermind, I see you went with the truck setting...

I also have the supercharger, currently running the 2.8" pulley :D (at least while the weather is nice and cool) The power is great, just want a little bit firmer/quicker shifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom