Sudden loss of power while accelerating (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I found one of the alternator bolts loose. This would explain the occasional serpentine belt noise I was hearing. It was easily spun by hand. The alternator was definitely able to move. Could this cause my issue?

I also double checked all of the wiring at the front of the engine and everything looked good and routed properly, with the exception of the oil pressure sending unit wire. When I unplugged it the plug easily separated from the wire, so I’ll need to fix that. I also cleaned up some random wiring under the dash from the previous owner, including some old brake controller wiring and other miscellaneous wiring that was laying around and even spliced in to the fuse box at the drivers side kick panel. A yellow box unit has been installed so I traced that wiring as well and inspected the wiring.

I then took it for a spin down and up my usual test route, and the issue did not occur! I’m skeptical anything I did would have fixed it, but crossing my fingers.

Anyone have a part # for the oil pressure sending wire pigtail/plug?

BTW: To fix that one wire, with a few cooper strand cut. Toyota sell the pig tail. You remove the one pin w/wire from the wire housing block. Slip in a new pin w/wire and splice.

I like the
Wire splice.JPG

With my home made heat gun attachment to direct heat.

BTW: To fix that one wire, with a few cooper strand cut. Toyota sell the pig tail. You remove the one pin w/wire from the wire housing block. Slip in a new pin w/wire and splice.

I like the
View attachment 2974637

With my home made heat gun attachment to direct heat.

I need to do this for both camshaft position sensor and oil pressure sending unit. Does Toyota sell pigtail/plug for both?

oil pressure sender connector is 90980-11363 repair wire with terminal is 82998-12440

cam sensor connector is 90980-11016 repair wire(s) with terminal are 82998-12440 same as above. Both 2.3 terminals

I have those terminals but only for 18-24 gauge wire not sealed.

Trick when wire smaller than butt splice. Place a shrink wrap on smaller wire sheathing, to increase OD. I think is was @flintknapper tough me that one.

One alternator bolt loose of 3, would not allow alternator to shift (03-07 have 3 bolts 98-02 have 2). The other 2 would hold it in. But if wire held by nut or the others plugged in, are loose. That may be another contributor, to your issue.

Last edited:
Thanks @2001LC and @jerryb! You guys are the best. Still poking around as I find time. I’ll you all updated.

Also would like to know if the issue was ultimately resolved. Having a nightmare of a time trying to diagnose what sounds like the same issue on my 2006 LX470.

I have had this exact problem for almost 10 years! My 1994 has been in to a Land Cruiser shop for weeks and they couldn't figure it out. I will be following this thread. Thank you!

This is the exact same issue I am having, and it is getting worse.

Started with just pulling away from a stop. Would only do it once per trip. Now it is starting to do it while I am on the freeway and accelerating to pass. I have no CEL / codes and nothing in the diagnostics in TechStream. It is incredibly intermittent, and is driving me nuts.

Any resolution for this issue?

This is the exact same issue I am having, and it is getting worse.

Started with just pulling away from a stop. Would only do it once per trip. Now it is starting to do it while I am on the freeway and accelerating to pass. I have no CEL / codes and nothing in the diagnostics in TechStream. It is incredibly intermittent, and is driving me nuts.

Any resolution for this issue?
I ended up solving this with a replaced throttle body. Replaced the fuel pump and MAF on my journey. So far, so good. I have about 200 miles on the new part. I will be making a bigger trip (400 miles/2 days) this week.

I ended up solving this with a replaced throttle body. Replaced the fuel pump and MAF on my journey. So far, so good. I have about 200 miles on the new part. I will be making a bigger trip (400 miles/2 days) this week.
Sadly, not solved. I'm at a loss at this point. 🤷🏼

Sadly, not solved. I'm at a loss at this point. 🤷🏼
I think we have the same problem. Happens once, at the same exact stop light after leaving my house and is getting slightly worse but not terrible. Then doesn’t happen again till the car sits for at least 8 hours. How quickly did yours get worse?

I think we have the same problem. Happens once, at the same exact stop light after leaving my house and is getting slightly worse but not terrible. Then doesn’t happen again till the car sits for at least 8 hours. How quickly did yours get worse?
I don't even know anyone. Replaced the gas pedal (sensor) and 4 days of commuting and I think it may be happened a tiny bit once maybe, not sure. So far it's been good but not enough time to put some real mileage under it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom