Hidden winch mount plate? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone here tinkered with this winch plate? It is advertised as being able to fit inside of the stock bumper - just have to create a cutout for the fairlead. Looks like it is mostly used in Europe. This one on eBay ships out of Poland but I have seen the same setup on a couple of British sites.

1696594371603.png

1696594583205.png

Have not seen that one specifically but it is basically just a mounting plate, maybe it could be your first fab project on the 80. I would imagine even with the increase cost of steel you could get the materials and fab (minus your personal time) for less than the cost of that mount with shipping.

I like the look of the stock bumper and having a hidden winch is a plus. As you said previously you don't plan to rock crawl so this may be an economical option until you decide to go another route.

Does Trail Taylor still make the hidden winch mounts?

I just used a flat plate of 1/4" A52 steel. Puts the fairlead lower that I'd like but was never an issue when winching. I like how this one mounts to the top of the frame and positions the winch better.

IMG_20200509_132956.jpg

IMG_20200509_153119.jpg

jwbc84
Ended up following your lead. Picked up a universal winch mount plate, cut it to fit, bolted my WARN 8000s onto it, and re-installed the Bumper. I notched the bumper at the bottom to accommodate the hawse and mounted the controller under my hood. Easy job and only ran me $40 in the end. Thanks for the idea!

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

jwbc84
Ended up following your lead. Picked up a universal winch mount plate, cut it to fit, bolted my WARN 8000s onto it, and re-installed the Bumper. I notched the bumper at the bottom to accommodate the hawse and mounted the controller under my hood. Easy job and only ran me $40 in the end. Thanks for the idea!

View attachment 3458833

View attachment 3458834
Nice job on this. Do you happen to have pictures of how and where you mounted the controller under the hood?

It is still attached to the winch. The Smittybuilt has it offset to the passenger side.

It is still attached to the winch. The Smittybuilt has it offset to the passenger side.
Ah, I misinterpreted your original post. I thought you had moved it up into the engine bay. Makes sense now, thanks.

Nice job on this. Do you happen to have pictures of how and where you mounted the controller under the hood?
sorry for the long delay - I have been off of the forum pages for a bit. I made a bracket and mounted it on the DS fender where there used to be a bunch of vacc ine tubing garbage that I pulled out when I de-smogged her.

IMG_3522.jpg

For those wondering what a finished hidden roller fairlead setup would look like if they didn't use a Hawse fairlead
1708060773824.jpeg
1708060822754.jpeg

1708060690262.jpeg

So clean. What did you use for the fairlead cover? Also, how did you wire up your controls?
The front hidden fairlead cover came with the winch when i bought it, sorry to say Ramsey no longer offers it for sale, As for the controls, i didn't like the plastic solenoid box that came with the winch, it was just to big so i made a more compact one out of aluminum sheet metal to house the solenoids

I used to sell a hidden winch plate a few guys on here run them but shipping costs are high. If you find a fab shop close to where you live I still have the laser file as long as they can cut and bend it I’d be happy to share that file with anyone interested. 🤙🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom