CV Boot's Throwing Grease - Reboot/Replace with OEM? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

7 years ago I installed an Oetiker style clamp on a leaking boot. $1.50, 5 minutes of work and problem solved. Has been fine since.

I've used that same clamp, picked up from NAPA. Works great, and can be install without removing front drive shaft from the rig.

I redid mine using Toyota boots. Nice quality, grease and bands included. I would use them again but I would add a set of Pfrans band clamps. without the big $$$ tool, they are hard to get the OEM ones tight.

I use these while working on clamps.

Nice for lite squeezing/pinch just to hold in place.
008 (2).JPG

Crimps clamp in place with less effort than the above tool. Works very well for the lighter NAPA clamp shown IN VIDEO a few post back. Lacks laverage to fully crimp OEM clamp to spec. gap.
K-D no 424 (1).JPG

This is the one needed to really crimp to FSM gap spec of 0.8mm, the very heavy OEM clamp. Very useful for OEM clamps re boot job, or where boot is weeping grease from under clamp due to loose clamp. @abuck99 pointed out this inexpensive tool
002.JPG

Boot clamp gap, frt dr shaft.JPG

@PabloCruise
Whenever I swap sides or replace front drive shafts. I also replace inner snap ring & both differential side seals.

If you axle teeth look goodI also order: snap ring inner, differential seal, new hub flange and new cone washers for each side. Then do a knuckle & wheel hub recondition with wheel bearing packing setting bearings tight. Final is new hub flange snap ring, set as tight as possible with less than 0.20MM (love gap at <0.003mm, which is tighter than I can measure). This along with good tight steering rack & TRE, front differential mounts and good ball joint and it will drive like new for years to come!

Do you have part number for the differential side seals, inner snap ring, hub flange and cone washers?

Ive got Mcmaster clamps on the way. No need for the kits when my boots are still in good shape tho.

I just need ro replace the clamps that have failed ans pump new gease in
Is there a way to pump new grease in without taking off the boot? Newb question but I noticed my cv throwing grease from one of the clamp ends

Is there a way to pump new grease in without taking off the boot? Newb question but I noticed my cv throwing grease from one of the clamp ends
Looking for recommendations here as well for my sons ‘99 Going to reclamp CV’swith hose style stainless steel clamps, but a decent amount of gooey grey/brown grease has been spun out. I’ll try to clean out what I can from the boots, then replace with the recommended Redline CV-2 grease…. Anyone know how much I should put in? Is it bad if there’s a bit of old grease left in the boots? Based on the Toyota replacement kit that comes with grease it looks like not really all that much is needed per boot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom