Jerry cans for fuel question. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a rear bumper with a basket for duel jerry cans (Dobinsons rear bumper), and I was just wanting to get a consensus on what jerry cans to buy. So basically metal vs. plastic. On Amazon they're wanting $180 for two 5.3 gal. metal cans, and the plastic "water" cans of basically the same size are about $100. Cost is not really an issue here, I'm just wondering about metal vs. plastic with regards to metal rusting from the inside with condensation. Has anyone had issues with the metal cans and if so, what issues could I expect? For that matter, what about issues with plastic cans?

I had 2 black metal Wavian 20litre cans for gas and a black plastic one for water. Used them for years with no issues. I don't recal that they were overly expensive but that was a few years back. I remember they rattled like mad against the carrier but a few strips of black pool noodles sorted that out.

I run Scepter plastic cans for water and fuel. I mix and match depending on the trip. I haven't had any problems with them.

IMHO the Scepter plastic mil-spec are the best. You will want either the Scepter "wrench" to open/close them, or make some sort of sp[anner. Closed tight they DO NOT LEAK. But after the Kalifornia can fiasco, I have not checked to see if they are easily available in the US any more (I acquired all of mine years ago through non-standard channels)

I have not noticed any other plastic gas cans that I would use except for lawn mowers and the like. Might be some out there. I just have not encountered them.

The old US GI cans work great if you don't neglect them and let them rust through after 20 years or more. The can be problematic about leaking around the top, but if you keep good gaskets on them then it will basically be just some fumes venting. Inside the rig they suck, but outside they are perfectly acceptable
"NATO cans are good and seal better than the GI can but be aware that the chinese copies will not accept the actual NATO ventd spouts The chp non vnted chinese spots will fit either can, but the non-vented spouts are SLOW to pour. a Scepter or GI can with the appropriate old school unleaded spout will dump into your tank in about 30 seconds. Don't use the right spout and it can take 3 minutes to drain any of the aforementioned cans. :( Of course an '80 will not accept the old school spoutanyway unless you rip out the restrictor.

In the end... Scepter are the best. GI and (actual) NATO cans are plenty good if you take care of them. Use the right accessories for the cans that you have.

Mark...

Spectre fuel cans. I bought the pair for $50. I love them and regularly use them for refueling my lawn mower and yard equipment.

I took them with me on a road trip to Grand Canyon in the event we couldn't find gas.
1707624683826.png

If you do get Sceptre cans, check out this site for accessories. The fuel wrench is awesome, the water siphon works great, and you can spend all kinds of money on other great accessories like spouts, upgraded seals, etc. JAGMTE - Just a Guy Making Things Easier - https://jagmte.com/

I have a Dissent jerry can holder, but same idea, I use a Rollercam 1" loop end strap to hold the cans down tight but keep them easily removable.

IMG_3023.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 3 Scepter mil spec 5L fuel cans and 2 Scepter 5L water cans. They weigh less than metal cans, they are extremely well built and do not leak (as long as the cap seal is in good shape).
A few notes from actually using the fuel cans on several trips.
1. when full, they are heavy and cumbersome and difficult to keep from spilling while filling the tank. I bought a length of fuel rated hose with a "jiggle siphon". This allows me to simply leave the cans on the carrier and run the hose to the tank for hands free operation. Store the hose outside the vehicle after use.

2. changes in altitude or temperature will cause the tanks to shrink/swell and you WILL NOT be able to open the caps by hand. Purchase a cap wrench from online suppliers. You will need it. If you notice them swelling, vent them occasionally.

3. depending on where you live and are travelling, the fuel cans have to be clearly marked. I purchased a small roll of DOT fuel carrier stickers.

4. in all my travels within the continental US, Canada, New Finland, etc. I have only needed them once (Chic Choc mountains on the Gaspe peninsula). However, I always take them with me (empty) and fill them when I'm close to my destination.

Last edited:
1. when full, they are heavy and cumbersome and difficult to keep from spilling while filling the tank. I bought a length of fuel rated hose with a "jiggle siphon". This allows me to simply leave the cans on the carrier and run the hose to the tank for hands free operation. Store the hose outside the vehicle after use.

2. changes in altitude or temperature will cause the tanks to shrink/swell and you WILL NOT be able to open the caps by hand. Purchase a cap wrench from online suppliers. You will need it. If you notice them swelling, vent them occasionally.

4. in all my travels within the continental US, Canada, New Finland, etc. I have only needed them once (Chic Choc mountains on the Gaspe peninsula). However, I always take them with me (empty) and fill them when I'm close to my destination.
I also prefer to siphon from my fuel cans when I can. On my trail '40 I carry 4 15 gallon cans on the rear rack now (had 8 5 gallon scepters for a while), so siphoning is almost a requirement.

When the cans swell they will also be very very very tight in your fuel can rack and you will have to vent them to get them out.

I use my fuel cans primarily on the trail. Some of our trails are long. But I carry them whenever I am on any long road trip. Made for much more comfortable day a couple of times. Only one trip through Canada did I not carry them. And of course that was the trip when I needed them. :(

Mark...

I use my fuel cans primarily on the trail. Some of our trails are long. But I carry them whenever I am on any long road trip. Made for much more comfortable day a couple of times. Only one trip through Canada did I not carry them. And of course that was the trip when I needed them. :(
Your use case is MUCH more extreme than most. There's a fuel station on every corner around here, and my wife's idea of "camping" is a 3 star hotel.

Only trip the fuel jerry was absolutely necessary for me was one in Canada with no gas for multiple days. I used a full tank, 12.5 gal aux and a full 20 liter jerry. The water cans have come in very handy on multi week trips out west, and camping with the family.

@Mark W comments about pressure are spot on. That wrench is a must have when pressure or vacuum impact the tank. There have been times where we couldn't budge the caps. Also, sometimes you need extra leverage to tighten and avoid small quantities of fuel from coming out the cap. The wrench makes that easy.

I run a combination of Scepters water cans and pre-ban Wedco fuel cans. The Scepter wrench is nice for when the can is sealed tight but I just use a strap wrench. Cheaper and multi-use.

Another idea is to go to you're local Army surplus store and buy some used Nato fuel cans, They are the same can as the Wavian metal fuel can, but WAY LESS money, My local surplus shop sells them for 35 bucks a piece, Below are 2 photos of the swing out carrier i made that mount 2 surplus Nato cans, The nice thing about having the cans mounted on the drivers side of my truck, i can siphon gas from the Nato cans into my gas tank without having to remove them from the carrier
1707675876873.jpeg

1707675747040.jpeg

Last edited:
If you do get Sceptre cans, check out this site for accessories. The fuel wrench is awesome, the water siphon works great, and you can spend all kinds of money on other great accessories like spouts, upgraded seals, etc. JAGMTE - Just a Guy Making Things Easier - https://jagmte.com/

I have a Dissent jerry can holder, but same idea, I use a Rollercam 1" loop end strap to hold the cans down tight but keep them easily removable.

View attachment 3555565
I've got the wrench and the aluminum inserts for the caps. The wrench is necessary to make sure they don't leak and the aluminum inserts address a common issue with the plastic insert cracking and leaking fuel.

View attachment 3555565
off topic but are those KO3 tyres?

View attachment 3555565
I wonder if there's any difference in the plastic between the fuel and water cans? I can only find the water cans on Amazon.

I wonder if there's any difference in the plastic between the fuel and water cans? I can only find the water cans on Amazon.
Virtually positive there is no difference in the material/construction of the cans. When the Kalifornia gas can restrictions convinced all the US makers that is was not worth trying to make Ca and non-CA cans, Scepter also decided to not sell their gs cans in the US anymore. You can still get them in Canada (where they are made), so you could have a Canuck buddy ship you some. Or pick some up on the way up or down the highway if you have a trip planned in the future.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom