Let me introduce Phred, my 1973 FJ40. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two options for your bumper come to mind.
And
Or a 4pus front bumper

I went with the CCOT Hell for Stout bumper when I did mine, the 8274 is the bomb

70057294817__748575CF-F8D5-4CBF-8376-64B04E6A6AD7.jpeg

If you already have the 8274, then you definitely need to install it. I am also researching how to install and options.
When looking I found this schematic on the current Toyota parts website. Was unaware of this reinforcement part for the stock bumper.
Is this a unicorn part? Did the dealer installed winch stock bumpers come with the hole already cut out and this reinforcement? On a side note, @OPMACHINE manufactures and sells stock looking bumpers ready for an 8274 that I was considering.

8BF85FA6-C7E3-4F45-82DA-AEDBF8683624.png

@tornadoalleycruiser That bumper by @OPMACHINE looks freakin' AWESOME. Now I just gotta decide between a factory map light or a new bumper. 😁

All I can say is ouch! To think of a stupid light that I would just throw in with a bunch of parts at a junk yard would give it to me for free. Just be thankful you have a reverse light already. I have one loosely bolted not wired on my 73 I should remove so it doesn't get damaged. Not thinking need to move it to a safe along with my spare.

While it looks stock the front bumper that on this one actually is lined on the inside with 1/4" plate.
IMG_0657.jpg

Back he has ugly angle iron replacing the bumperettes. Original owner still has the rear step and bumperettes he took off when it was new. He also installed locking hubs but kept the original solid hub caps.

Still think this is the classic look for front of a FJ40.
001029.jpg

If you already have the 8274, then you definitely need to install it. I am also researching how to install and options.
When looking I found this schematic on the current Toyota parts website. Was unaware of this reinforcement part for the stock bumper.
Is this a unicorn part? Did the dealer installed winch stock bumpers come with the hole already cut out and this reinforcement? On a side note, @OPMACHINE manufactures and sells stock looking bumpers ready for an 8274 that I was considering.

View attachment 3285346

The 7910 above the box is for 10/79. Date it was first available. Those are worse than any of the unicorn parts to find in the US. I've never seen one.

@Living in the Past There you go again with the good news. 😁 If you want me to hang onto that spare map light let me know.

What the heck is that thing on the front of the red cruiser in your picture? I probably don't want to know.....

@tornadoalleycruiser That bumper by @OPMACHINE looks freakin' AWESOME. Now I just gotta decide between a factory map light or a new bumper. 😁
You had mentioned stock look, those 2 fit the stock look / width category. If you want more tire clearance, lots of other options out there. But a stockish truck looks great with a full width bumper.

The original owner told me "the top comes off, but I've never had it off". The problem is I'm going to have to remove the fiberglass top to redo the headliner since he added another dome light (because the original didn't make enough light) and that caused the original to fall. I hate having to remove the top but its really about the last thing I have to do. I need to redo the gelcoat also and that will be much easier with the top off so I'll kill two birds with one stone.

All of the seals are still available from Toyota. They probably won't survive disassembly.

I'm super jealous of how clean your 40 is. Nice find

If you can weld/have a welder, you can make that stock bumper capable of handling a winch. If no welding, those other bumper options are nice.

@Living in the Past There you go again with the good news. 😁 If you want me to hang onto that spare map light let me know.

What the heck is that thing on the front of the red cruiser in your picture? I probably don't want to know.....
Toyota PTO winch. You really don’t want to know, the more you research it, the more you want one. 8274 is a better winch but PTO is super cool

That is the original bumper from the my 68. I bend the end when I got to close to a Ponderosa Pine. It had some extra support from the bumper ends back to the frame otherwise would have bent the fender as well. Welded tabs for a tow bar if that what your referring to? In January 1975 had a friend buy one of the first 75s to hit the country. He quickly added a Warn winch with aftermarket bumper. I picked up his OEM bumper cheap. If your asking about what's on the bumper that the Toyota OEM PTO winch. The 68 was rode hard put up wet cruiser when I bought it in 1974. Had no options including the rear heater. Everything was found later including the soft top.

If you look closer at that factory brochure it has almost the identical mount that @powthief19 offers. It’s slips right in and is really well made. I added one to my 55 and like you don’t plan on doing any extensive wheeling but it is def on there for the what if verse the I don’t have option.

Did you get a toolkit? Pics? Here is mine for my 73’

E5068309-630E-412D-BD4B-7CF6E88F05C9.jpeg

80341E92-A08B-4051-B4F6-90E41C351BAF.jpeg

I bought my 1973 FJ40 last fall from the original owner. It sat for the last 15+ years but is in AMAZING original condition. Original paint (no rust). Original interior (perfect). The PO gave me all the documentation (even the original purchase receipt) and boxes of NOS parts. After spending the winter going through all the usual stuff (fluids, hoses, brakes, etc) she is back on the road and running excellent. So now I have a dilemma. I love the way a Warn 8274 looks on the front of an FJ40. It's like Warn built that winch for the FJ40. Well, I just so happen to have an 8274 sitting in my shop and I'm torn as to what I should do. I love the look, but honestly my FJ40 is in such good original condition it will never see an offroad trail again. That being said, I obviously don't NEED a winch on the front. If I didn't have an 8274 sitting 10 feet from it I wouldn't have an issue (seeing that they are so expensive now) but since I have one....should I install it? I would probably find another stock bumper so I didn't have to cut my original and I would route the cables without drilling any holes but what's the general thought? Should I bolt it in or just leave her the way she came from the PO? Just curious what you fellow FJ40 owners think.
Thanks

View attachment 3284667

I've not even bothered to read your full text or the three pages of comments... I assume they all say "YES!"

Every other answer is wrong.

EDIT: Now I've read the thread. Beautiful truck!

Last edited:
@Blastservices I DO have the tool kit....and quite a few of the tools are still wrapped in the original plastic. If I get a chance tonight I'll take a couple pictures. Yours looks really nice too.
For the benefit of the rest of us: please don’t.

Sorry @Skreddy I said I'd post pics and I'm a man of my word. Just don't scroll down if it's too much to look at....😆

@Blastservices Here are a couple pics. I hadn't actually pulled any of the tools out until tonight so I didn't realize they are all stamped "TOYOTA MOTOR".....pretty dang cool! That is DEFINITELY the coolest crescent wrench I own. 🤣 I was worried that the grease gun hose was missing buy realized the hard line is still taped to the inside of the handle. The gun has never had grease in it. The wrench set and screwdrivers are still sealed in plastic.

20230329_195113.jpg

20230329_195247.jpg

20230329_195309.jpg

20230329_195317.jpg

That is awesome! Your find just keeps getting better!
I just bought a 60 series and the tool roll was on there complete with….. a few harbor freight wrenches and a stick.

Off topic, if you tell me next that you found this one in Rockford, I don’t think I can look at your posts anymore…

So I'm taking measurements on the bumper for the winch and I notice these holes. Definitely not symmetrical....I assume they are NOT factory? They'll be easy to fill when I do the winch but if they are factory I'll leave them....but what were they for??

20230329_200116.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom