PS Fluid leaking from adjustment screw, tightened back up but still have whine and hard steering.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But wait! There's more!

In additions to my recent starting issues just last night I appear to have lost power steering. Raining today so hard to pinpoint but is that what I'm leaking here?

A91C04A4-D371-468C-ACBB-B870A4EE339D.jpeg

Abs maybe for the plugs??? Just a guess....

I mean. It’s directly under steering box which is somewhat under PS reservoir …….

But did ya taste it 😂

My vote is PS fluid. With a backup guess of auto trans fluid as lines run in that side of motor to the radiator but usually fail further forward from abrasion at crossmember.

If that is just from last night, betting its the pressure hose.
Ahhh yes you win half a banana! ABS has been deleted so that covers that, thank you.

Now the leak for the bonus round....
PS res low or empty?? If so, fill it and start it up- have someone work the wheel. Mine sprung a leak where it is spiral wrapped and goes thru the core support to the cooler.

time to get a flashlight and crawl underneath, Its kind of a PITA, but follow the trans lines to the bottom of the radiator. You can see them under the shroud, should be able to tell which one is leaking if its that quick. Check the trans fluid too.

time to get a flashlight and crawl underneath, Its kind of a PITA, but follow the trans lines to the bottom of the radiator. You can see them under the shroud, should be able to tell which one is leaking if its that quick. Check the trans fluid too.

She wasn't leaking just sitting there, I started here up and turned the wheel a few times and then it started leaking pretty good. Tranny fluid is full so I guess it's official that it's power steering, also have a really loud whine and vibration when turning the wheel.

Now I suppose I get the fun of tracking down the leaky hose......odd that the reservoir is full though

Not that bad of a job. Might as well do both while youre in it.....

Alright....found where it's dripping from. If I'm not mistaken that's where the steering box adjustment screw is which I just recently toyed with, but how the hell is that leaking fluid?? Let me get the battery box out again....oof
IMG_9072.jpg

Alright....got the lock nut tightened down but I still have the horrible whine and rubbing whenever I turn the wheel. Could it be that the adjustment is way too tight now?

Maybe wash that area off very well (soap and water) from above, the side, and from below, let dry, then restart engine turn wheel once side to side, shut off engine, take a bunch of photos of the PS hoses, pump, gear, etc, examine photos on a PC (larger screen) looking for the leak.

Maybe wash that area off very well (soap and water) from above, the side, and from below, let dry, then restart engine turn wheel once side to side, shut off engine, take a bunch of photos of the PS hoses, pump, gear, etc, examine photos on a PC (larger screen) looking for the leak.

Updating again for the next idiot, lock nut tightened down, I have a new washer on the way just in case, topped off the PS fluid.....no more leak and steering is good to go!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom