anyone used a uhaul car carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i towed my landcruiser back on a uhaul car trailer, didnt notice it had a bad bearing on the rearmost axel and i dragged a siezed tire for like 800 km :eek:
I noticed halfway there when people would pass me staring at the trailer, i just aired that one down and sent it

I disagree, most likely you did not have enough tongue weight.
Strapping the axles or tires down is the right way to do it.
I have towed my 80 more then 25k miles that way with out issue.
I had plenty of tongue weight. And yes, not bothering to compress the suspension is fine until you end up in an emergency situation. In my case, the coupler broke off, and so having to two suspensions cycling at the same time increased the difficulty of recovering the combo.

I honestly do not agree with strap to the frame and compress the suspension. This is how straps or worse chains come loose.

I ALWAYS strap to axle housings, two front and two rear, triangulation. Straps that go over tires are good too.

I NEVER tow a Cruiser with chains and binders. These are for machinery in my opinion not vehicles.

Cheers

I'm not saying that the straps to the tires and axles are bad or wasted, I just don't like things bouncing around back there in an emergency. And thisi s how I've always done it with heavy equipment and military vehicles, so my best guess is that the concepts are sound down to the passenger car level.

I'll dig up an embark manual and post a few illustrations.

Used a front wheel hauler once, the 80 fell off due to poor tie-down and would have lost it if I hadn't slung the winch around the toe-hook as a last minute precaution.

I had plenty of tongue weight. And yes, not bothering to compress the suspension is fine until you end up in an emergency situation. In my case, the coupler broke off, and so having to two suspensions cycling at the same time increased the difficulty of recovering the combo.

I'm not saying that the straps to the tires and axles are bad or wasted, I just don't like things bouncing around back there in an emergency. And thisi s how I've always done it with heavy equipment and military vehicles, so my best guess is that the concepts are sound down to the passenger car level.

I'll dig up an embark manual and post a few illustrations.

I hear ya. Loading correctly, weight distribution, a proper tow vehicle, trailer brakes and safety chains always been my go to as well.

Never had to do much emergency stuff when towing, I take it easy in the slow lane. Always use a full sized truck and trailer brake controller. Had a few deer encounters but I just plowed them over with the trailer vs wrecking.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom