Importing options for a used 1FZ-FE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
I wanted to get some peoples opinion on importing a 1FZ and some info. Looking at different options right now and I wanted to know how would you import one? Can you still find a 1FZ to import? Who would you go through or shop with? TIA

I am confused on the question you are asking. The 1FZ-FE engine or an entire vehicle? Right hand drive or left hand drive? 80 series or some other venerable ones like a 70 series? The 1FZ 80 series is already in the states and if that is your question then I am not sure I can help you in any way. Thanks for clarifying your question.

I am confused on the question you are asking. The 1FZ-FE engine or an entire vehicle? Right hand drive or left hand drive? 80 series or some other venerable ones like a 70 series? The 1FZ 80 series is already in the states and if that is your question then I am not sure I can help you in any way. Thanks for clarifying your question.
Just the engine. Not the entire car. Didn't realize the 70 came with one, I want a 80 series engine, 95-97. Just trying to see if it would be worth importing a 1FZ from Japan or somewhere else. I want an engine that has not been opened, low miles.

Last edited:
Me being “none too smart”, I than you for the clarification. Ah, classified section on MUD. There are always individuals putting a v8 in and ruining a great set up (Haha). The engine is slated for overhaul every 300,000 miles and the head is thick enough to be decked three times, hence the million mile engine mantra touted all over MUD. The 95-97 is an antique now and I would imagine that a lot would still have to be done to a low mileage engine in the form of anything rubber. I have never looked but I remember individuals ordering a new short block (no accessories attached) from Toyota but that ship may have sailed if there’s no more left. It’s worth a look. Lots of internet parts warehouse ordering sites will say in-stock only to cancel out on you later.

Read up on your initial purchase while I waited on your response. I like the resourcefulness you showed with both the initial water leaks and your shelf in the back. Good luck and give the classifieds a search.

Paging @Fj80oregon with no affiliation, just a lot of reading about your exploits with the venerable 1FZ-FE

What are you trying to accomplish? Buying a 25 year old low mile motor is probable not gonna happen and it would be more cost affective to rebuild one that you get used than to import something that might end up Being trash and you rebuild that one.

And a new lifelong friendship has been made. You are welcome!!!

Me being “none too smart”, I than you for the clarification. Ah, classified section on MUD. There are always individuals putting a v8 in and ruining a great set up (Haha). The engine is slated for overhaul every 300,000 miles and the head is thick enough to be decked three times, hence the million mile engine mantra touted all over MUD. The 95-97 is an antique now and I would imagine that a lot would still have to be done to a low mileage engine in the form of anything rubber. I have never looked but I remember individuals ordering a new short block (no accessories attached) from Toyota but that ship may have sailed if there’s no more left. It’s worth a look. Lots of internet parts warehouse ordering sites will say in-stock only to cancel out on you later.

Read up on your initial purchase while I waited on your response. I like the resourcefulness you showed with both the initial water leaks and your shelf in the back. Good luck and give the classifieds a search.
I'm not looking to buy from someone on Mud as there is a risk to them selling me a motor that does not run, then its my problem. Whether as if I buy from an importer or a company reputable, if I get a bad motor then I can come back to them for selling me a bad motor. Once again just looking at all my options for my upcoming project. Better to have multiple routes in case something doesn't go to plan.
@StaticTorque you are local awesome! I’m out in forest grove.
Hahah I've talked to you about the HG on my cruiser a few months ago. I could easily have a "new" motor in over the weekend then spending a few weeks doing a HG and waiting on parts etc. Just seeing all my options out there.

Thank you! Much appreciated! People have provided me with so much info on this Forum so I want to try and do my best as well. Probably need to redo my parts list for the Weatherstripping seals.

I'm not looking to buy from someone on Mud as there is a risk to them selling me a motor that does not run, then its my problem. Whether as if I buy from an importer or a company reputable, if I get a bad motor then I can come back to them for selling me a bad motor. Once again just looking at all my options for my upcoming project. Better to have multiple routes in case something doesn't go to plan.

Hahah I've talked to you about the HG on my cruiser a few months ago. I could easily have a "new" motor in over the weekend then spending a few weeks doing a HG and waiting on parts etc. Just seeing all my options out there.
Oh yah, I talk with lots of guys about engines my wife says I should charge for it! I consider it paying it forward for all the help I have got on the forum.
Back to your initial question I don’t know of any companies selling imported engines. I remember your other thread. Sounds like you’re just weighing your options.

I wanted to get some peoples opinion on importing a 1FZ and some info. Looking at different options right now and I wanted to know how would you import one? Can you still find a 1FZ to import? Who would you go through or shop with? TIA
Chiming in from down the Columbia... I know people who, for a work car, would run a Honda Civic straight into the ground doing little to no maintenance and then grab a cheap import engine and do a quick swap over a weekend... wash, rinse, repeat. I don't really think that's a thing for the 1FZ-FE. It's too big and heavy for cheap shipping and they didn't churn them out by the millions like a civic. I had a bit of "mud induced head gasket paranoia" recently and looked around at options and the bargain deals just aren't there. Actually, one of the better deals I've seen on an engine was from @Fj80oregon, if I remember right...

Oh yah, I talk with lots of guys about engines my wife says I should charge for it! I consider it paying it forward for all the help I have got on the forum.
Back to your initial question I don’t know of any companies selling imported engines. I remember your other thread. Sounds like you’re just weighing your options.
THERE WE GO! Weighing my options! I could not think of that term for the life of me! 😂
Chiming in from down the Columbia... I know people who, for a work car, would run a Honda Civic straight into the ground doing little to no maintenance and then grab a cheap import engine and do a quick swap over a weekend... wash, rinse, repeat. I don't really think that's a thing for the 1FZ-FE. It's too big and heavy for cheap shipping and they didn't churn them out by the millions like a civic. I had a bit of "mud induced head gasket paranoia" recently and looked around at options and the bargain deals just aren't there. Actually, one of the better deals I've seen on an engine was from @Fj80oregon, if I remember right...
And maybe that is an option as well. Who knows. That is just a "last resort" option as "if" I got a bad head or engine from someone locally, well I can't go back to them as there isn't a "warranty." Now that is no shot at anyone's workmanship or their work.

My daughter has a first-generation CRV, and with the B series motor in so many things, I have at LEAST three people a week come to my door and ask if it is for sale. I have finally made a sign for the back glass that says "NOT FOR SALE", but even that hasn't stopped people asking. You can swap a B20 in that thing in a few hours.

Buying a used engine from anyone, an individual or a "business" is a crap shoot. I will not sell a used engine unless it is to someone who understands that it is USED with unknown history and no promises can made. I usually try to dissuade anyone from continuing down this path unless they are planning on going into the engine before they install it. If they don't have the ability to do this, then they are better off having me rebuild their existing powerplant, or go ahead and rebuild the one that they want to buy from me.

Buying a used engine from overseas does not change this. The fact that it is a commercial operation does not somehow make them more reputable than an individual. Regardless of the character of the seller, a used engine that is at least 27 years old is not gonna be brand new or even close to it.

Rebuild your engine.

Mark...

Last edited:
What are you trying to accomplish? Buying a 25 year old low mile motor is probable not gonna happen and it would be more cost affective to rebuild one that you get used than to import something that might end up Being trash and you rebuild that one.
Agree with the above.
Even a zero mile 27+ year old motor would need a teardown to replace all the seals and other nonmetallic bits. Certainly heat cycles degrade those things, so does time.
Need proof? Just look closely at old "new" spare tires; they'll look good at a distance, but close up...
Doing a quality rebuild on a solid candidate motor: cheaper and better, what's not to like about that?
I'd be shocked if anyone would warranty a used 27 year old motor. No way I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom