top three most critical parts to replace (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just curious what would be the most import parts to replace (other than the standard maintenance/wear stuff like the brake pads, plugs, and etc.) to ensure reliability so you don't get stranded middle of nowhere in an untimely fashion? I know we can all agree heater T hose is a top priority for preemptive replacement if the rig has seen some good mileage put on.

Maybe one more qualifier to add is that based on collective knowledge of 100 series owners that any parts which are prone/known to break down due to age that will put an immediate and sudden stop to your trip...

"Busted ignition" is one that will sneak up on you and cause havoc. Here's a 500+ post thread on the subject:

^This. Can't imagine anything more critical than a total failure of your brakes at speed.

Ignition coils..although I have not had that problem yet..but can cripple your car..

Drive flanges for sure as this actually happened to me. Could only drive on CDL which is not fun.

Lower/Upper Control Arms. They may not be as bad as the older 4 runner case where the whole front wheel assembly gets broken...but it might still not be a good thing to fix at the side of the road.

I did'nt know about the Brake Booster.. when should I be looking at replacing that..currently have 185k on my 2000 LC?....

I did'nt know about the Brake Booster.. when should I be looking at replacing that..currently have 185k on my 2000 LC?....
Before it starts screaming at you.

^This. Can't imagine anything more critical than a total failure of your brakes at speed.
It will not fail all at once. There will be lights on dash and an alarm... you have about 5 to 10 brake strokes to bring it to a stop.

Ignition coils..although I have not had that problem yet..but can cripple your car..

Drive flanges for sure as this actually happened to me. Could only drive on CDL which is not fun.

Lower/Upper Control Arms. They may not be as bad as the older 4 runner case where the whole front wheel assembly gets broken...but it might still not be a good thing to fix at the side of the road.

I have a 2000 with 245K miles. Brake booter worked 100%. Truck is in west TX so not much stop and go traffic so less usage on brakes.

Check how long the booster motor runs on initial start of the day. Typically 30 seconds +/_ 2 seconds, but surely no more than 40 seconds.

I went ahead and replaced the entire assembly just to be on the safe side. I did the complete installation and was piece of cake... Now the pump runs just 23 seconds at the first startup.

It will not fail all at once. There will be lights on dash and an alarm... you have about 5 to 10 brake strokes to bring it to a stop.

I get that.

You probably don't see this much in west Texas, but if you're coming down a steep pass trailering heavy, those 5-10 pumps may not stop you safely. Yes, an extreme example but it is totally plausible and one person being injured due to this 'flaw' is one too many. Marginalizing the potential hazard doesn't do anyone favors.

I get that.

You probably don't see this much in west Texas, but if you're coming down a steep pass trailering heavy, those 5-10 pumps may not stop you safely. Yes, an extreme example but it is totally plausible and one person being injured due to this 'flaw' is one too many. Marginalizing the potential hazard doesn't do anyone favors.
Make sense. So it's best to replace it if you think it's time.

The worry is many toyota LCs, LX, GX, Tacoma TRD O/R, Tacoma TRD pro, all new Armada's are equiped with this brake systems and you can imagine the disaster in the future, if not properly addressed

If you replace your _____ every_____, you will greatly reduce your chances of getting stranded. Obviously, sometimes these parts fail sooner. YMMV.

Heater T's90k
Alternator
Fan Bracket Pulley
Starter
Brake Booster assembly
Radiator
Drive FlangesEvery CV change
Ignition/Key RodNow (Improved design, keep old as spare)
Ignition CoilKeep one in vehicle as spare

That's a great list, aren't we looking at almost $2k in total cost...

For sure the ignition rod will fail, now that i know about it.

Is the current PN the "updated"? Anyone happen to have that?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom