Replacing Steering Rack. Critical to Replace PS Pump, PS Reservoir, etc.? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My steering rack has been weeping since before I got the vehicle 5 years ago from the driver side boot. Everything else is seemingly fine in the system. Would I regret not replacing the pump, reservoir, and associated lines? It nearly triples the cost of parts when you include the high pressure lines (around $500 for the rack to a little under $1500 for everything). 240k miles.

The fluid on the PS system does not have much of a filter that I'm aware of. If everything is working fine, I'd suggest replacing the reservoir and adding a Magnefine filter on the low-pressure return hose. This will help capture debris and any metal shavings that may be in the old fluid.

I have a 120, but there were quite a few metal flakes in the PS fluid when I replaced the rack at around 150k. Two years later and zero issues with a new reservoir and Magnefine filter (plus new fluid of course).

My steering rack has been weeping since before I got the vehicle 5 years ago from the driver side boot. Everything else is seemingly fine in the system. Would I regret not replacing the pump, reservoir, and associated lines? It nearly triples the cost of parts when you include the high pressure lines (around $500 for the rack to a little under $1500 for everything). 240k miles.
No need to do that, but do use fresh fluid.

If there’s no leak in the hose/reservoir, cleaning the hose lines and reservoir free from any dirt/debris will do you just fine. Check for any micro cracks on the hose ends as well, if there is - I would replace it while in there. An ultrasonic cleaner can be really helpful cleaning the reservoir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom