Fuel, premium vs regular (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 2003 used to knock or ping when I bought gas from the cheap gas stations, I had to use the name brand stuff. People in the business swear up and down it is the same gas with different additives, but my wife and I both noticed the pinging.

The 2021 has so far gotten premium. The kids have moved out, I have no time for expensive vices, got to have something irrational to believe in.

All this talk about fuel octane choices reminds me that most Land Cruiser owners in the world run whatever gasoline they can actually get. Ive run plenty of dodgy rural developing world unleaded, filtered through a coffee filter first, in all 3 of my LCs and they ran just fine. That is what they are made for.

All this talk about fuel octane choices reminds me that most Land Cruiser owners in the world run whatever gasoline they can actually get. Ive run plenty of dodgy rural developing world unleaded, filtered through a coffee filter first, in all 3 of my LCs and they ran just fine. That is what they are made for.

It's a different world. With modern EFIs, it's possibly to tailor engine tunes to fuels. An LC may be an LC, but in this case, an LX may not be an LC. Many bring up mechanical equivalence in static compression, part numbers, etc. That's missing the point because electronic controls, i.e. software, can very much modify dynamic compression and octane requirements.

91 typically in the cruisers. I have run 87 in my Tundra for years and I feel and hear a difference when I run 91, it just runs better.

It's a different world. With modern EFIs, it's possibly to tailor engine tunes to fuels. An LC may be an LC, but in this case, an LX may not be an LC. Many bring up mechanical equivalence in static compression, part numbers, etc. That's missing the point because electronic controls, i.e. software, can very much modify dynamic compression and octane requirements.
It is a different world, and I agree we almost certainly got different spark and fuel tables here in the states than they would have in Central America with the same engine (though how many 5.7s were sold in that market?)

But, and I’m sure you know this so I’m saying it mostly for others, the same robust self-protection systems that keep a LX from s***ting the bed in 30k miles if the owner puts RUG into it are present to keep the LC from doing the same if it gets a tank or two of truly poor quality fuel here in the states. From conservative spark tables to specific output.

I’d personally avoid consistently using a dodgy station with cobwebs on the pumps to save a few cents on fuel if I wanted to get 400k out of my rig, but with how solid these vehicles are both in physical form and development philosophy, I’m personally of the opinion no one will be truly hurting a US 5.7 LC from mass market fuel choices alone. Even driving it down toward the equator, our biggest problem would likely be no fuel filter. But I believe outside of that the ECU will adapt without issue.

A supercharger with no real spark tune? Different story.

Last edited:
But, and I’m sure you know this so I’m saying it mostly for others, the same robust self-protection systems that keep a LX from s***ting the bed in 30k miles if the owner puts RUG into it are present to keep the LC from doing the same if it gets a tank or two of truly poor quality fuel here in the states. From conservative spark tables to specific output.

It's only fair to say this for others as well. As someone that's actually tuned motors and has technical basis in the arena, popular opinion based on conjecture is not what this forum is about.

It's one thing for knock sensors to be used as a strategy to protect a motor. It's another to ride the knock sensor for tuning.

The difference is frequency and magnitude of knock. An ECU can only pull timing when there is knock, and any knock is never good. The first strategy rarely experiences knock. The second strategy regularly experience knock.

LC owners are mixing LXs in this discussion. One requires regular. The other requires premium. This is fact stated in a manual. Anything else is conjecture.

A better question for LC owners is would you fill with 85 octane? Or 83 octane? Because 91 is 4 pts higher than 87 which is not a small thing.

It's only fair to say this for others as well. As someone that's actually tuned motors and has technical basis in the arena, popular opinion based on conjecture is not what this forum is about.
LOL…that’s funny. Remember the time that you said Lexus LX is a Porsche on rails? Or that LC200 transmission has some sort of “unexplained deep capability”… :D
LC owners are mixing LXs in this discussion. One requires regular. The other requires premium. This is fact stated in a manual. Anything else is conjecture.
The Owner’s Manual also clearly states towing limits and payload. You go way overboard these limits with your pimped-out LX with balloon tires for gravel roads (and then criticizes LX for not riding like Rivian and bad MPGs)…yet you’re criticizing others about not following OM’s recommendations?? Odd thinking indeed.

For the record, i follow Owner’s Manual recommendation(s). I don’t lecture others one thing and then turn around do something else. My mamma raised me right.

Last edited:
Anytime these two energy's collide things get spicy lol.

It's one thing for knock sensors to be used as a strategy to protect a motor. It's another to ride the knock sensor for tuning.

The difference is frequency and magnitude of knock. An ECU can only pull timing when there is knock, and any knock is never good. The first strategy rarely experiences knock. The second strategy regularly experience knock.

A better question for LC owners is would you fill with 85 octane? Or 83 octane? Because 91 is 4 pts higher than 87 which is not a small thing.

More conjecture: stating RUG will hurt a LX without seeing the timing tables, or any evidence, anywhere, of failure from that scenario.

Anytime these two energy's collide things get spicy lol.
Sorry. I am out of this discussion. I use 87 all day and everyday of the week, even on Sunday. And when i am not using it, i plug it in. :)

More conjecture: stating RUG will hurt a LX without seeing the timing tables, or any evidence, anywhere, of failure from that scenario.

So the threshold for passing is failure?

Are we building a Dodge?

I'm praying the subject of regular v. premium and/or with ethanol or no ethanol will die, but that may be too much to ask.

Per the owner's manual:

Fuel typeUnleaded gasoline only
Octane rating87 (Research octane number 91) or higher
Fuel tank capacity (Reference)24.5 gal. (93 L, 20.4 Imp.gal)

That number on the big yellow sticker on the pump (the "87" above) is an average of the Motor Octane Number and the Research Octane Number.

My 2003 used to knock or ping when I bought gas from the cheap gas stations, I had to use the name brand stuff. People in the business swear up and down it is the same gas with different additives, but my wife and I both noticed the pinging.

The 2021 has so far gotten premium. The kids have moved out, I have no time for expensive vices, got to have something irrational to believe in.
Interesting. You may drive a bit harder than I do but I have, as an option of very last resort. driven my 1998 100 on white gas, AV gas, and mixed gas from an outboard motor (not at the same time). White and AV gas caused no noticeable issues (only a few gallons) but the mixed gas, which may have also been old, drove okay at reasonable levels but smoked wickedly. But both got me to real unleaded with no long term issues.

So I have been doing some research about using premium fuel vs regular fuel in my 2018 LC 200. Im not convinced I need go spend the extra $ fot premium. Will someone, please, explain why I need burn 91+ Obtain vs 87. Thanks

Whatever your manual says is what you need. If you added a Supercharger or something, then the manual for that will tell you what you need.

@chefbige09 if you'd like to do some reading on the strategies our vehicles use to protect against octane-related damage this thread has some great info, and shockingly, is supported by actual data.

Interesting. You may drive a bit harder than I do but I have, as an option of very last resort. driven my 1998 100 on white gas, AV gas, and mixed gas from an outboard motor (not at the same time). White and AV gas caused no noticeable issues (only a few gallons) but the mixed gas, which may have also been old, drove okay at reasonable levels but smoked wickedly. But both got me to real unleaded with no long term issues.
I love this pragmatic answer, mostly because many places in the world they don't have the luxury of special high grade contaminant free fuel, so they run whatever they can get in whatever they drive.

Here in Colorado regular is 85, mid 87 and premium 91 because of the altitude (less octane is needed) Even the EPA says no one but carbureted cars should be using 85 (Select the right octane fuel for your vehicle! - https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml) I hope no one is putting 85 in the LC/LX

I have an LX, same engine, different requirement. I prefer Ethanol free gas 87 or 91. I def. notice a difference in mileage.

I think ethanol will cause more long term damage than using regular vs. premium gas.
From Texas and two months ago I did this not realizing that regular in Colorado was 85 and my 2009 LC ran like complete trash! I had just filled up my 40gal LRA tank and topped off the main tank. I ended up going to true value and bought a few bottles of octane booster and that really helped. Yea stay away from 85 LOL otherwise I run 87 in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom