Builds The Magnificent Seven: Build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No it wouldn’t. If they put the sniffer in the exhaust pipe it would fail but that is also because I no longer have cats. If you keep the cats NOX should still pass but any visual probably wouldn’t.
That's what I thought. Thanks and I'll keep looking for your next trip post.

Gauging interest:

After the turbo install, I spent entirely too much time thinking and trying different gauge locations and set ups. I did not feel that there was a very good option. I like the clean look of gauges installed on the shift console below the HVAC controls but I really did not want to have to look down to see my gauges. And I look at them a lot. But that may be because I am still watching the turbo closely.

So what I landed on is an Acura pillar dual gauge pod painted to match the interior color. Matching blue face gauges. I am happy with it:

Turbo gauge 1.jpg

At night:

turbo gauge 2.jpg

Oh, and yea... I changed all the interior bulbs to blue. I like it. So now on to the next thing.....

Return to the traverse:

It had been since last fall that I had started the trek down the infamous Georgia Traverse. Although it can be done in 3 days if rushed, I wanted to take my time. Last October we got about half way through; taking time to explore off-shoots and enjoy mountains. Ever since I have been itching to continue on.

I have clocked about 1000 miles since the turbo install and it was time to go off road and see how things hold up. The interstate drive up to where we had left off was a blast, easily speeding past vehicles on the grades, but finally getting onto dirt was the best of all warranting a stop for a celebratory beverage:
IMG_0053.JPG

We only had a day and a half this go around so we decided to do the “big loop” which reaches into Tennessee on long winding forestry roads.
IMG_E0059.JPG

Wish we would have planned for 2-3 days. The loop was epic. And on a Sunday and Monday we had the roads to ourselves. Our first camp spot just across the state line was on stream, providing the perfect back drop and noise for a relaxing evening. After a great dinner of fajitas, beers, several rounds of free range bocce ball and finally a dip in the chilling waters we crashed out for the night.

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

The next day ushered in dirt trails that were sketchy at times but provided beauty and breath taking views. We got to see two bears and a wild mother pig and her two babies crossing the road. We only passed two other vehicles on the trail. I marked many spots on the map for future camp sites, knowing that I would need to return as the day passed too quickly creating a rushed feeling. The Tennessee side of the loop took about 4 hours. We were running out of time so we began skipping off shoots and picking up the pace instead of the leisure drive we had settled into previously.

Nice water crossing:

IMG_0022.JPG

Random waterfall along the trail:

IMG_0023.JPG

One lane bridge in the middle of nowhere:

IMG_0024.JPG

We finished the big loop at the time we needed to and got back onto the highway to head home. And although I enjoyed every minute, I felt a little robbed by time and responsibilities. I will do this loop again. It is worth it.

IMG_0021.JPG

Absolutely frightening:

On my way back home, while on the interstate, a semi pull onto the freeway abruptly cutting off several cars in front of me who all slammed on their brakes to avoid a collision. Although I had a good distance between me and the next car in front, I hit the brakes fairly hard as well but not even close to locking them up. This is the hardest I think I have ever hit the brakes in this cruiser. This made her violently jerk to the left well into the next lane where another large semi was traveling. Fortunately he was paying attention and did not have anyone to the left of him so her was able to veer left as well just barely missing my smack. I let off the brakes and corrected into my lane with my heart pounding.

How could all of my chosen mods made my cruiser such a liability during a hard stop situation. I pride myself on being prepared and keeping the cruiser safe. And here I was putting other lives at risk because I had overlooked something.

So now to solve. I think there are three possible issues to blame: Air in the brake lines, wheel bearing load and alignment. Brakes components are completely new so I disregard them as a culprit.

Alignment: I have had a caster correction kit sitting for some time. Finally installed it today. Still an issue veering to the left during hard braking.
Wheel bearing load: TBD
Bleed brakes: TBD

Drop my drawers?

I have been going back and fourth over the years whether I wanted rear storage drawers. I have built a couple of different sets in different configurations and nothing really stuck, I ended dropping them for a wheeled storage box. I liked having the ability to quickly remove a storage box in the back and have room to haul stuff. But I also like the idea of an organized drawer and being able to fold down the 2nd row and have a nice sleeping platform. I also like to have a folding table while out camping but those take so much real estate. Also wanting a pull out drawer for the camping stove and easy access to the cooler, I came up with this:

IMG_0285.JPG

The left side pulls out for the stove. The top of the right side comes off and has legs that fold out to make a table. The right side drawer also pulls out to grab stuff. Makes a nice little camp galley:

IMG_0284.JPG

Now I am cooler:

Since building that drawer set up, I have added a 12 volt fridge in anticipation of a "bucket list" trip across the country:

12 volt fridge.jpg

All that is left now is to go.....

to do.jpg

Trip report to come. And it is bound to be epic...

June 2022: Colorado Trip

Early in 2022 my good friend and long time Land Cruiser enthusiast Nikolai ( @NorthWA ) decided that we need to meet up for an off roading trip with our 80’s. With us being on opposites of the country, it seemed Colorado was close to being half way between us. Completing the alpine loop and Imogene Pass had been on my bucket it for some time. It was time to make it happen. We decided late June after school was out for the little ones would be the best time to go. We set the dates and a rough plan, all we had to do now was get our trucks ready. Nik had fairly recently purchased Ruby so he had lots of baselining and trip necessities to add. I had recently installed the turbo and wanted to make sure everything was in top shape and added a 12 volt fridge, replaced door seals and a couple of other odds and ends.

Time, as it always does, flew by. The trip was upon us before we knew it. My wife has family in Colorado Springs so I decided I would travel with the whole family in tow, drop them off and then continue into the mountains to meet up with Nik.

Early in the morning we set out, leaving Atlanta behind only stopping for the essentials:

Buc-ee's.jpg

IMG_0439.JPG

The drive took us 2 ½ days and was without issues. We had good audio books that kept my me, wife and our 6 year old twins entertained… Even through Kansas.

Day 1 on the trail:

After one night in Colorado Springs, I left early in the morning to meet Nik at Antero Junction. After a quick inspection of each other’s 80’s we got back on the road headed to Ouray. We were getting conflicting reports on whether roads to Imogene were open so we decided to do the loop first.

As soon as pulled off the highway at the Alpine Loop trailhead the rain started to come down. We got strange looks from people parked and standing around the trailhead. I’m not sure if they were in awe of our Land Cruisers or thinking we were idiots for driving up the trail in the rain. After a ¼ mile in we stopped to air down and agreed that we should find a camp site as soon as possible in case conditions got worse.

It took us a while to find a camp site but neither of us minded, the drive and views were indescribable:

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

Once we did finally find a good spot to camp, I hopped in Nik’s 80 to catch up while enjoying a beer and waiting for the rain to stop. While chatting we see a lady walking with a radio that has an antenna two feet long. She looks as if she just walked out of REI wearing the latest overlanding fashions but now she was lost. She walks up to us and asked if we know of any campsites. Nik points her to a nice site up the hill 100 yards. After she walks away chatting on her radio, I turn to Nik and say, “I bet she drives up in a brand new Jeep Gladiator.” “Oh yea, it is decked out with a roof top tent and swing outs with gas tanks and a high lift hanging off”, Nik retorts. Minutes later as if we had summed the beast with our mere words, a brand new Jeep Gladiator, decked to the hilt bounces up the hill. We have a good laugh and agree that this was going to be an epic trip.

Day 2 On the trail:

The next morning, we fill up with a hardy breakfast and coffee and get back on the trail. The plan for the day is to get up Engineer pass. We took our time, enjoying the sites and exploring ruins of mining operations.

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

After coming down the pass we start looking for a camp site. The sites we find are right off the road but also along the river. When we do finally find a spot that is a little farther off the road we quickly set up to cook some food. We are then visited by the wild life.
IMG_0486.JPG

Three deer walk right up to us. One is pregnant. Nik and I keep looking at one another not sure how to react. We both grew up in the mountains with Deer but neither of us had them walk right up to us and eat 5 feet from us. It was bizarre but really cool at the same time. They ate with us for at least a half an hour before setting off into the woods. Day 2 ends on a great note. Cant wait to see what the next day has in store.

Day 3 on the trail:

The next morning, we pack up and head into Lake City for gas, some provisions and calls to the loved ones to confirm we were still alive. Plan for the day is to make it up Cinnamon Pass and camp on the other side. We did not however realize how awesome it would be.
IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

Dam.jpg

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

Once down the other side we hit Animas Forks. Cool looking mining town but packed with people, so we decide to move to the outskirts and check out a mill in the distance. Unfortunately, it was private land so we look at the maps to figure out where the road leads us. There were a couple of markers form iOverland that showed good camp sites and it appeared to loop back into THE Loop so we decided to take a slight detour to avoid the crowds. Man, I am glad we did. We found one of my favorite places of the entire trip. This beautiful valley and bowl full of remnants of mining operations and mines scattered across the mountains. We spend the rest of the day and the next morning exploring and had it all to ourselves:

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

High up, we see what looks like a mine so we decided to attempt the hike. It was tough. We ended having to stop regularly but finally at 13,124 feet we come to the mine shaft covered in steel grate. Looking down at the black endless tunnel beneath my feet, my stomach churns and I shuffle off of the grate

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

Find the Land Cruisers:
IMG_0536.JPG

After getting back on the road we drive through Silverton and then back up on the mountain and over Corkscrew pass to red mountain. There we find a nice camp spot tucked into the trees. We reminisce about the day, have a meal and turn in.

Day 4 on the trail:

After getting back on the road it was not long before we were on pavement. Sadly the Alpine Loop had ended. However, after talking to the local forest service office we find out that only the Telluride side of Imogene is closed. We can still go up the Ouray side. So we head back to Ouray to begin the next leg of our adventure.

The drive was beautiful but it had been raining and the trail was slick. We decided to slowly go up the mountain with the thought that we may need to turn back at some point.
IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

We kept going. The rain stopped and we found ourselves at the base of the switch backs. Nik comes on the radio and says “Are you thinking what I am thinking?” I reply “Yes, lets do it!”.

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom