blue lake & independence trail ride Saturday & Sunday July 16-17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
backcountryadventuretime.com
Ill volunteer to take the lead on this one since i've been there a couple times

This place is top three fav destinations in Montana that ive been to. second only to Cooke city area and north meadows
All club requirements apply,, and have your vehicle in working order and all that safety stuff

Trail requirements:
Disclaimer, I have not run this trail since the flooding, and the last time i was out there was the summer before last.
its east peasy for the most part. there is a couple of obstacles but more stock vehicles should be fine. depending on your tolerance for bashing frame or skids. i have see stock full sized pickups at the top.

IT is very narrow and overgrown so racing stripes are likely going to happen so plan accordingly

Plan:
Meet up at 8 am on Saturday, at the town pump at the end of main street.
others can meet up elseware, but this is when im planning on leaving if anyone would like to convoy

we will be on Ham and GMRS so if someone is coming from Livingston or another town we can try to meet you at an exit as we are rolling to big timber.

we will air down at the natural bridge and start up the trail. probably arrive there around 930 plan to make the lake sometime mid afternoon depending on group size and traffic. hang out at the lake and back track a bit to make camp. no specific spot but its dispersed camping and lots of places to camp once we reach the top.

drive out on sunday. be back in bozeman sometime in the afternoon

PLEASE POST IN THE THREAD IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON SHOWING UP.
that way no one gets left behind, and i wont impose a limit on this trip but more then 10 cruzahs is gonna make for a long day of driving slow

any thing im missing just ask

make sure you get gas in big timber, at least it makes things alot easier

Tag anyone else who was interested in going

Whos going:
@halfsmilingfj
@mccracken
@CCRider
@ttFJC
@406landcruiser

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron, I was just hoping on to start this thread. I love this trail but I am going to take my daughter on a trip to Glacier NP this weekend so I am out. A few thoughts on your original post...

This is not a members only run. Anyone can attend as long as they meet the vehicle requirements, like first aid kit on board, good recovery points front and rear, full size spare tire, and having a GRMS radio to communicate. We usually have an extra radio or two but please post up if you don't meet the requirements, we'll help you figure out if you should run this one or wait for another. Try not to bring a vehicle that has a known issue to the trail, fix it at home. This is everyone's weekend and we want everyone to enjoy themselves. If you are wanting to become a member this trail ride counts towards your event/club run requirement (with attending a meeting being the other one).

I would pick a GMRS channel.

Ham we usually run 146.460

Meet up spot is HERE, find the other cruisers/toyota's in the parking lot. This is a good spot to air down. It is all dirt from here onwards.

You need to be self sufficient with food, water, gas, camping gear, any kid/puppy needs etc. Extra fuel won't likely be needed but it wouldn't hurt to have some extra if you have an easy way to carry it.

Again, this is big bear country.... be wise with food storage and when you're out and about away from the vehicles.

Not a bad spot to hang out for the weekend if you ask me.
RRZC6305.JPG

Thanks Aaron, I was just hoping on to start this thread. I love this trail but I am going to take my daughter on a trip to Glacier NP this weekend so I am out. A few thoughts on your original post...

This is not a members only run. Anyone can attend as long as they meet the vehicle requirements, like first aid kit on board, good recovery points front and rear, full size spare tire, and having a GRMS radio to communicate. We usually have an extra radio or two but please post up if you don't meet the requirements, we'll help you figure out if you should run this one or wait for another. Try not to bring a vehicle that has a known issue to the trail, fix it at home. This is everyone's weekend and we want everyone to enjoy themselves. If you are wanting to become a member this trail ride counts towards your event/club run requirement (with attending a meeting being the other one).

I would pick a GMRS channel.

Ham we usually run 146.460

Meet up spot is HERE, find the other cruisers/toyota's in the parking lot. This is a good spot to air down. It is all dirt from here onwards.

You need to be self sufficient with food, water, gas, camping gear, any kid/puppy needs etc. Extra fuel won't likely be needed but it wouldn't hurt to have some extra if you have an easy way to carry it.

Again, this is big bear country.... be wise with food storage and when you're out and about away from the vehicles.
thanks for the extra thoughts.

Ill volunteer to take the lead on this one since i've been there a couple times

This place is top three fav destinations in Montana that ive been to. second only to Cooke city area and north meadows
All club requirements apply,, and have your vehicle in working order and all that safety stuff

Trail requirements:
Disclaimer, I have not run this trail since the flooding, and the last time i was out there was the summer before last.
its east peasy for the most part. there is a couple of obstacles but more stock vehicles should be fine. depending on your tolerance for bashing frame or skids. i have see stock full sized pickups at the top.

IT is very narrow and overgrown so racing stripes are likely going to happen so plan accordingly

Plan:
Meet up at 8 am on Saturday, at the town pump at the end of main street.
others can meet up elseware, but this is when im planning on leaving if anyone would like to convoy

we will be on Ham and GMRS so if someone is coming from Livingston or another town we can try to meet you at an exit as we are rolling to big timber.

we will air down at the natural bridge and start up the trail. probably arrive there around 930 plan to make the lake sometime mid afternoon depending on group size and traffic. hang out at the lake and back track a bit to make camp. no specific spot but its dispersed camping and lots of places to camp once we reach the top.

drive out on sunday. be back in bozeman sometime in the afternoon

PLEASE POST IN THE THREAD IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON SHOWING UP.
that way no one gets left behind, and i wont impose a limit on this trip but more then 10 cruzahs is gonna make for a long day of driving slow

any thing im missing just ask

make sure you get gas in big timber, at least it makes things alot easier

@CCRider
@halfsmilingfj
@mccracken
Tag anyone else who was interested in going
@4LYoda86

There was a washed out section with deep ruts last year. Bring lots of bug spray!
how bad would you say the ruts were? I'm not concerned for me but possibly for the less experienced wheelers

Gotta a previous commitment, otherwise would go. Look out for mama bear and her 2 cubs that should be about a year old now that have a trail by the campsite to the lake.

I'm in! :cool:
Rumor swirling around the meeting last night was that taking Swingley Road from Livingston is the preferred route to the TH. Regardless I'll plan to join up with the group at the Town Pump on Sat. morning.

I'm in! :cool:
Rumor swirling around the meeting last night was that taking Swingley Road from Livingston is the preferred route to the TH. Regardless I'll plan to join up with the group at the Town Pump on Sat. morning.
I’m down for the Swingley route if we can top off at the Exxon on the north end of Livingston before. According to Google maps right now that’s the fastest way to go from Bozeman.

I’m down for the Swingley route if we can top off at the Exxon on the north end of Livingston before. According to Google maps right now that’s the fastest way to go from Bozeman.
Meet at swingley after gas fill up at like 8:40 ish? I'm in Livy so I flexible on timing.

This was that washed out spot last year. I thought I heard somewhere that it’s worse this year after the recent flooding.

61DE78EE-118D-43FB-A169-9687419C7DCE.jpeg
F3655B53-2F99-42E2-9F6D-A2FEC63E51E9.jpeg

Last edited:
i remeber this section actually, was wide enough when i did it to not me bunch of a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom