Harmonic balancer fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I get what you're saying, but I disagree on this one. My HZJ80 had no oil contamination on the balancer when it went, and it damaged other components before there were any noticeable noises. Suspiciously, the timing of when it caused problems was also a few months after I went on some serious 4x4 trails. I suspect the extra bumps and jolts from the track are what caused the hardened, embrittled rubber to finally let go.

I don't wait for my tyres to pop or my brakes to fail before I give them attention. Speaking of tyres, would you stick 20 year old tyres on your rig? I did on mine in a pinch, and your response was, and I quote:
giphy-gif.2809301

And you were right, it was a bad idea. Not sure why leaving ancient rubber holding together part of your engine while spinning at a few thousand RPM until it fails is better?

If a harmonic balancer fails catastrophically it can kill your wallet. If tires fails catastrophically it can kill people.

BIG DIFFERENCE.......

Up to this point, there have been few failures. However, as these trucks age, the rubber products get heat soaked, oil soaked, and have been in service for 24-30 years and may have over 300K miles on them.

Most of us have already been replacing the other rubber parts in the trucks such as hoses, window runs, and steering shaft boots, so it comes to reason that we will see an increase in HB failures as time continues to grind on.

Heck, I finally had to replace the rubber in the HB for my Studebaker in 2016!
That was only 57 years after it came out! Granted, it was at 90K miles.........and it was VERY oil soaked for years.

Has anyone tried a HB Rebuilder for an LC or any other vehicle?

Has anyone tried a HB Rebuilder for an LC or any other vehicle?
I'm a FeBest in mine ; Only been in a few weeks with very little mileage covered. Seems fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom