What is this thing (fell from engine bay) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fell out of the engine bay when I removed the passenger side lower engine cover. Doesn't look like it's from any of the pulleys? Center hole is slightly keyed and there's a light coating of grease at the center and edge of the ridged side.

PXL_20220618_005355443.jpg
PXL_20220618_005357739.jpg

I'll note that this lower cover hasn't been removed since I purchased this vehicle ('15 LX) last year. Unknown if this lower cover had been removed before, the bolt heads did not look like they had any tool marks on them from removal. Perhaps this is something that was picked up from the road? I'm fairly certain I've never dropped anything into the engine bay.

I belive someone recently created a thread with your same situation. Someone in that thread knew where the part comes from. Unfortunately I can't find the thread. Hopefully the person chimes in.

Does the radiator fan have a cover or cap on the hub of the fan?
No. Not from any of the pulleys.

Possibly from one of the air injection pumps in front of the right tire… but I’m more inclined to believe while driving it was on the road and blew into one of the grille slats and came to rest on the skid plates.

I'm hoping it's just some debris... But it's unnerving to not know what it is or if it's part of the car!

No. Not from any of the pulleys.

Possibly from one of the air injection pumps in front of the right tire… but I’m more inclined to believe while driving it was on the road and blew into one of the grille slats and came to rest on the skid plates.

Not from the AIR pumps at least - just disassembled them recently. Don’t recall seeing that piece anywhere in engine bay

Not from the AIR pumps at least - just disassembled them recently. Don’t recall seeing that piece anywhere in engine bay
Thanks for confirming that. I had a look at some parts diagrams for the air pumps and it didn't look like that component.

I'm hoping it's just some debris... But it's unnerving to not know what it is or if it's part of the car!
Collectively we've been through these vehicles with a fine tooth comb.. and are very willing to help problem solve. If you don't get an answer soon I'd assume it's debris. Even the air pump thing was a long shot.. one of the few things on my truck I haven't had a look at yet, so I was going on rough size/shape from what I've seen on here.

Drive on!

I know Mud loves a mystery, and I appreciate everyone who took a look at this! I buttoned everything up after changing the oil and PS fluid, and as @bloc says, I'm going to "Drive on!"

The center hole shape makes me think it goes on a hand held grinder wheel.

That part is found between the passenger side skid plate and whatever it originally protected. I believe it is some sort vibration reducer or padding of some sort. I had my factory skids off and this and this same part fell out on the ground.

That part is found between the passenger side skid plate and whatever it originally protected. I believe it is some sort vibration reducer or padding of some sort. I had my factory skids off and this and this same part fell out on the ground.
Yes that's exactly where I found it. Hmm! Next time that plate is off I'll look again for where it could go. I take it you've experienced no problems since?

Yes that's exactly where I found it. Hmm! Next time that plate is off I'll look again for where it could go. I take it you've experienced no problems since?
I just installed my new bumper last week and this is when it occurred. So my limited time since has shown no ill effects.

If nothing else...who know's how long you've been driving around with it on your skid plate where i'm sure it wasn't serving it's original purpose, so if you've seen no issues yet....

If nothing else...who know's how long you've been driving around with it on your skid plate where i'm sure it wasn't serving it's original purpose, so if you've seen no issues yet....
This is true! I'm working on putting it out of my mind. One day, I'll try to figure it out and I will be sure to update this thread.

I'm working on putting it out of my mind.
I completely relate to this and it sums me up fairly well… I’ll obsess over some random noise until I find the source or agonize over a newly found tiny dent until I just put it out of my mind. Drives my wife nuts, but also helps diagnose developing issues early on. It’s a cursed super power I guess…

Last edited:
It‘s the cover on the drive belt tensioner pulley. My 99.9% has moved to 101% as I’ve now replaced a few of them. :D

483FD9C1-4A65-42B9-9440-C2A5C1AA3A89.jpeg

Negative. See above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom