LED instrument panel/gauge cluster (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coincidental that there was another thread that was created right around same time as I posted about the mirror switch. Here's an interesting alternative:

can anyone please tell where are the leds lights for my gxr 2003..? i ordered t5 from ebay but was surprised to see there were no bulbs inside the speedometer maybe it have leds? my oil gauge bulb and alternator gauge bulb are not working and for fuel and temprature also the bulbs are so fade..encircled gauge lights not working rest all so dim.. please help

IMG_20210220_172554.jpg

IMG_20210220_202106.jpg

Is it possible to upgrade dash lights to leds in 2003+ trucks? After reading through this thread, it looks like they changed the design in 2003 and swapping to leds doesn’t get the same results

Is it possible to upgrade dash lights to leds in 2003+ trucks? After reading through this thread, it looks like they changed the design in 2003 and swapping to leds doesn’t get the same results

I had the same question and took a look inside my 03 LX. Possible I suppose, but not easy. The illumination is all LED already, so you’d have to remove and solder in a bunch of surface mount LEDs
A25B80F5-87A5-42AE-A98B-98FB6D254439.jpeg

I had the same question and took a look inside my 03 LX. Possible I suppose, but not easy. The illumination is all LED already, so you’d have to remove and solder in a bunch of surface mount LEDs
View attachment 2679007
Thanks so much for this pic! I have an 03 LX and was wondering what the lighting looked like. I hadn't felt like pulling it apart just yet.
I'm fairly certain I have a couple of LED's around the speedo and tach that are out. Those gauges are dimmer than the rest of the cluster.
I found a decent video on how to replace surface mount components. Now, do I really want to try this?

Hey as you guys can see needles are not bright enough
So what should I do for needles where can i get these from. And what is the method for replacing it?

4728381F-04BC-4B00-B5AE-985894595861.jpeg

E04CF069-6516-49F6-8954-37321B784132.jpeg

Thanks for the tips everyone. I went red for my buttons and also "de-greened" the OEM radio. I doesn't match the red, but way better than the factory color. I'll be dropping an aftermarket radio in at somepoint anyway. Dropped in red courtesy door lights in as well to not attract the bugs so bad when we go camping.

I'll post more about the radio tear down in another thread.

View attachment 2373399
View attachment 2373400
View attachment 2373402

View attachment 2373401

how did you remove the bulbs as shown , the cassete player / dvd buttons have which bulbs , are they easy to replace with LED bulbs or a pain ., can ypu share some pics of what to look for if one wants to change these factory stock bulbs

how did you remove the bulbs as shown , the cassete player / dvd buttons have which bulbs , are they easy to replace with LED bulbs or a pain ., can ypu share some pics of what to look for if one wants to change these factory stock bulbs

Here’s a couple pics of the radio pulled apart. You pull the little green condoms off the bulbs without removing the bulbs. Once the radio’s out of the car, it’s a couple clips and a couple screws. Be careful with the ribbon cable and a couple loose bits that sit behind the buttons. Hopefully that answers your question.

4AADFD72-2DC1-4A08-AF44-DC475EE415D5.jpeg

1631415193512.jpeg

but these bulbs seem to be soldered on to the board - its to risky for me to pull them apart and re solder - what size bulbs are these t3 or t4 new wedge

The bulbs themselves do not get removed. There is a green rubber cover on each bulb that can be removed with the bulb on the board. They then glow orange-white as you can see in my first set of pictures. There aren't options to replace them entirely unless you do feel comfortable removing and soldering new ones on. I don't think they are a standard bulb such at T3 or T4 from what I can tell.

anyone have the factory bulb part numbers? Searching gives so many options it's TOO much..

anyone have a quick link to the LED and NON-LED options?

anyone have the factory bulb part numbers? Searching gives so many options it's TOO much..

anyone have a quick link to the LED and NON-LED options?
For which bulbs? The gauge cluster and HVAC/center console is a combo of T3, T4, T5, and #74 bulbs. The radio bulbs cannot be replaced, they are soldered to the board as in my pic above.

Easiest is to buy a pack of 10-20 of each bulb (LED or incandescent) in the color your want and just go to town.

Was thinking about JUST replacing the factory incandescent bulbs (no LEDs).

Was thinking about JUST replacing the factory incandescent bulbs (no LEDs).
If I’m understanding you right you want to replace everything then, just with incandescent bulbs, not LEDs. Everything from the factory is incandescent. You’ll need a pack each of incandescent T3s, T4s, T5s and #74s.

The Lexus part is on eBay for around $100 shipped. But on my list of things I want to spend $100 on for my Land Cruiser, lighting that switch ain't making the top 5.

If I can find it again I’m pretty sure you can buy a mirror switch from a used or parted out LS430. I had found one on eBay a couple years back when I was figuring out I could put an illuminated older Prius switch in my 2015 Tacoma to make it light up.

Thanks for the info... my '01 LX470 had a few bulbs out, and I wanted to swap them with LED's. After pulling the cluster, I found that it's a bit more diffiicult than the TLC cluster. You can access five of the # 74 bulbs below:View attachment 915703
This is a bit of a pain, but you have to unplug 8 connectors, 5 ribbons, and undo 15 screws to get to the transmission position bulbs. The connectors require a firm tug, but mark them first so you know where to reconnect them. The ribbons need to have the plastic locker pulled up before they can be pulled out (just like any circuit board). The screws are easy, of course. After disconnecting all of those, you need to pull up the circuit board because it's attached to a bunch of connector pins for all of the gauges.View attachment 915707
The you get to the rest of the bulbs. There are 6 T4's for the transmission position bulbs. There are another 19 Type 74 bulbs under here.

I didn't buy enough the first time around. To summarize the 2001 (and I hope it's the same for other years) LX470 instrument cluster requires:
  • 6 T4's
  • 24 Type 74's
As you can see, my ECT PWR and 2nd start lights are now working. Thanks for the help!View attachment 915712 View attachment 915713

This was super helpful. Thanks!
I have a 2001 LX470 as well. Your post helped, and changing out the bulbs went off without a hitch. Just took some time and patience. I'm sure the next time will go much faster.
I did not replace with LED's but now all the indicator lights are up and running!

The bulbs themselves do not get removed. There is a green rubber cover on each bulb that can be removed with the bulb on the board. They then glow orange-white as you can see in my first set of pictures. There aren't options to replace them entirely unless you do feel comfortable removing and soldering new ones on. I don't think they are a standard bulb such at T3 or T4 from what I can tell.

You still happy with your red LED swap? I would love to give this a shot but am a tad hesitant just yet, want to go all in and convert to a single color if possible, my wife’s old 2003 CRV is all amber/red (ish) and I love it!

While fixing my climate control buttons I put in LEDs in all the switches and behind the instrument cluster. I did not change out blinkers, brights, shifter, but everything else is now a nice amber. Another LED thread has links to the website for "super bright LEDs". That was great and easy to order.

While I was at it I fixed the gas gauge needle. I had messed it up a year or two back while trying to wire in a front locker light. Since then it has read way over full and usually was empty around 1/4 of a tank. Better now!

I’m going to bump this as I’m about to swap completely to all LEDs and would like to ask if you have a picture of your Amber gauge cluster.

I’m considering trying Amber or Red but the ignition ring will be white, all the PRND21 will stay incan, radio will be swapped eventually.

Thanks in advance,
GB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom