LED instrument panel/gauge cluster (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After viewing Loud's LED thread, I had the urge to update most of the the bulbs behind my gauges to LEDs. No more dull lookin' gauges at night.

Bulbs replaced were the speedometer, tach, fuel, water, oil, and battery. Gear shift indicators, turn signals, and brights were updated as well. Didn't feel the need to change other bulbs such as VSC/TRAC, ABS, Brake, etc.

To remove the instrument panel, gently pull the black cluster panel finish towards you. It is fastened via clips and shouldn't break. The black panel houses the dimmer switch which can either be disconnected or just swung out of the way.

Unscrew the 2 black screws at the top and bottom corners of the instrument panel. Next, loosen the 2 bigger gold captive screws at the bottom of the inst. panel. Once loose, gently pull the panel towards you. If it doesn't move freely towards you, you need to further loosen the screws as they are connected to wire harness connectors behind the inst. panel.

Remove the glass inst. panel cover and top of the steering column cover. (thx Loud) You should now be able to slide the inst. panel to the left of the steering wheel.
IMG00119-20100818-1616-2.jpg

Bulb locations updated
lunapic_128259959934317_15.jpg

The 3 types of bulbs that were replaced
lunapic_128259959934317_7.jpg

Shift indicator lights were replaced with this Type B
from autolumination.com: $3.49 ea.
nw_type_b_ss_w_wm.jpg

I plan to change these as they are TOO BRIGHT at night.

All other bulbs. V-LEDS.com #74 6k white: $6.99/pair
DSC01985-1.jpg

Keyring light also takes the same #74 bulb which I switched out too.

^^ Anthony - With these types of LEDs, do you get dimming capability or a single level of brightness?

Daytime
DSC01994-1.jpg

Night
DSC01998-1.jpg

DSC02001-1.jpg

Light appears a bit bluish due to the gauge overlays, but the LEDs are white.
Big improvement over stock. Very happy at night now.

^^ Anthony - With these types of LEDs, do you get dimming capability or a single level of brightness?

Dimming capability is retained with these LEDs.

Very cool!

That looks so good! I always wondered if anyone swapped a Lexus cluster into a Cruiser, it sort of does look the same. At least in your pics it does. Are the PRNDL bulbs too bright or is it just the picture?

He said he plans on replacing the PRND2L lights, because the LEDs he has are too bright....

Just curious, does the light seem to be evenly distributed, it looks like it is in the pictures, but just want make sure. I've seen 80s with unevenly lit clusters after switching to LEDs

i like how yours tells you what side the gas tank is on. Mine doesn't have that

He said he plans on replacing the PRND2L lights, because the LEDs he has are too bright....

Just curious, does the light seem to be evenly distributed, it looks like it is in the pictures, but just want make sure. I've seen 80s with unevenly lit clusters after switching to LEDs

The led bulb I used does a pretty good job of getting light to where it needs to go.

If there were any dim parts I would say they are in the water, oil, and speedo needles. This could be due to the design of the bulb that I used, and perhaps 1 to 3 high powered LEDs at the very top of 1 bulb might spread light enough to get to said needles more evenly.

Overall, I'm happy and they are still plenty bright.

I was wondering about that. Are the 'plans' to go back to a bulb or just a less bright LED?

Ordered some of the leds today. I've been wanting to do this for a long time - just wasn't sure where to pick up the LEDs. I'm replacing the "D" lights with new OEM bulbs. Thanks Anthonycds for sharing. There is also a 10% of coupon you can use on v-leds.com enter "toyotanation" in the coupon code thingy to redeem.

I was wondering about that. Are the 'plans' to go back to a bulb or just a less bright LED?

It'll be hard to find an LED that won't be as bright since they're pretty much all that way. I may just put the stock bulb back into the "D" or do as Loud suggested and leave it out.

How about a piece of tinted tape or film to tone down the gear indicator lights.

I find the cruise control and high beam indicator too bright also.

Would you just need 6 of the #74's to do everything but the gear indicator lights and the highbeam and turnsignal indicators?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom