FZJ80 in Washington (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been lusting for an 80, or any Landcruiser for years now. Managed to pick this LX450 at a local auction a few weeks ago. Its has 240k on it. All fluids that I could easily check looked good and the underneath has zero rust or scrapes. Although the bumpers have definitely seen some use. Interior was pretty nasty but she runs and drives pretty darn good.
At this point im probably just gonna replace the bumpers and side boards. Maybe do a 2in lift and decent tires. Im debating on buying or building bumpers and sliders. Might do a combination of both. For now im just gonna be doing the needed maintenance so i can get out and explore Washington with it.

20220416_170946.jpg

20220416_170848.jpg

20220416_170903.jpg

20220416_170922.jpg

Good find!

I don't personally have these but they do look like decent bumpers: Northwest Trail Innovations - https://nwtrailinnovations.com/
Best of both worlds, its a precut, weld together yourself kit. Allows you to add some custom touches when you put it together but saves a ton of time on design side. Local WA company too.

A 2" lift and 33's will get you all kinds of places in the mountains around here. Definitely want to get a set of sliders on there though, the roots and logs will tear those boards up pretty fast. Highly recommend a winch too. If you get on some harder trails be prepared to lose those fender flares, mine got tore off on the Naches trail.

Looks familiar.

Looks familiar.

Haha yeah that's the one. Wow. An entire thread about buying it? No wonder I paid what I did. Fortunately I did have the time to look at it before I bid. Oh and I just got it back from my friend who's a detailer. Told him he could keep the dental picks.

If it were mine... I would be pulling the interior out and cleaning it. Carpet on a big tarp and start out with a 5 gallon jug of simple green and short bristle broom to scrub it. If you have a steamer that would be next for me and then move to carpet cleaner. If you have a pressure washer be careful to not shred the carpet. It will likely look like new and smell nice when you are done. Then clean the metal under where the carpet was and kill any mold there.

Take the plastics you pulled with the carpet and the plastics on the pillars etc and clean them. I found circular motions, light pressure with scotch bright pads and simple green do well on those.

Might consider pulling out the duct work in the dash... There will be dirt and maybe mold (judging by the pictures). Clean the fan too.

Clean the sun roof drains using weed trimmer line or the like. Search there are a few threads on it here.

All cheap things to do but your health will appreciate it

Doing all that will give you and idea on what needs replacing/repairing and gives you the ability to remove after market wiring you don't want and to put in wires you may want now or the future while everything is out.

Last edited:
Yup. That's exactly where I got it. Dang, I didn't realize I'd find local dudes on here. Right on.
Define local….. There are a number of us in WA and including a few free members on the east side of the volcanos. Let’s put together a plan to run the WABDR.

Obviously timing depending I'd go
I'm in the kitsap area. A
Define local….. There are a number of us in WA and including a few free members on the east side of the volcanos. Let’s put together a plan to run the WABDR.
I'm over in kitsap county. I'd love to do the WABDR! I've been talking to a buddy of mine about driving that one.

Sounds like a satisfactory plan right there. What needs to be done maintenance wise?
So far all the fluids are new. Got some maintenance records off carfax and it had a sticker in the window from its last oil change. Done back in February and still has 3000 ish miles to go! Brakes are a little mushy feeling so I'm gonna bleed em. But the records say that it got new brakes back in September. Also I'm hearing a faint metal noise from the front end when I first go from a stop. Especially when I'm turning. Kinda wondering if it's a wheel bearing, or a birfield. This is my first cruiser so I'm not extremely knowledgeable yet. But I have watched and read a fair amount. I'm loving the info you guys are so willing to share!

I’m leaning toward August on the WABDR.

Ive been lusting for an 80, or any Landcruiser for years now. Managed to pick this LX450 at a local auction a few weeks ago. Its has 240k on it. All fluids that I could easily check looked good and the underneath has zero rust or scrapes. Although the bumpers have definitely seen some use. Interior was pretty nasty but she runs and drives pretty darn good.
At this point im probably just gonna replace the bumpers and side boards. Maybe do a 2in lift and decent tires. Im debating on buying or building bumpers and sliders. Might do a combination of both. For now im just gonna be doing the needed maintenance so i can get out and explore Washington with it.

View attachment 2996309

View attachment 2996310

View attachment 2996311

View attachment 2996312
By sideboards, do you mean the rocker panels or running boards? If it’s the latter, most people in here throw them in the trash.

If you have a sunny day and live in a secluded area, try parking it with all the doors open for a day, might get rid of some of the mild before you clean it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom