Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dude, you killed it! Does this mean DV?
I should have it up and running in the next day or two, Then I need to get some miles on it to make sure all is good. but yes it's looking like I should make it. :)

Progress has been really slow.
But I did get some stuff done. all new fan and AC belts, radiator installed with fresh coolant and foam in the gaps, oil and filter change, Battery and battery reinstalled.
1648649848902.png

1648649894100.png

Fired her up and she's running great. Set the hand throttle to 1200 RPMs and let her run. The temperature gauge went to 184* and then the thermostat opened and she dropped back down to 169*
Then I let her just sit there and idle ( 800RPMs ) for about 20 minutes, temps bounce back and forth between 169* and 171* about 10 degrees cooler with the new 10% overdrive pulley :)

I also order some used LS400 horns off of Ebay. At $40.00 delivered there a great upgrade over the wimpy stock 80 horns.
There a simple plug and play upgrade, wires literally plug right in and they bolt right up with a small modification to mounting tabs.
Sound improvement is night and day over stock, very happy with these.

Old
1648652536960.png

New
1648652627911.png

But I did get some stuff done. all new fan and AC belts, radiator installed with fresh coolant and foam in the gaps, oil and filter change, Battery and battery reinstalled.
View attachment 2966575
View attachment 2966576
Fired her up and she's running great. Set the hand throttle to 1200 RPMs and let her run. The temperature gauge went to 184* and then the thermostat opened and she dropped back down to 169*
Then I let her just sit there and idle ( 800RPMs ) for about 20 minutes, temps bounce back and forth between 169* and 171* about 10 degrees cooler with the new 10% overdrive pulley :)

I also order some used LS400 horns off of Ebay. At $40.00 delivered there a great upgrade over the wimpy stock 80 horns.
There a simple plug and play upgrade, wires literally plug right in and they bolt right up with a small modification to mounting tabs.

Old
View attachment 2966607
New
View attachment 2966609
engine is surprisingly CLEAN!!!

View attachment 2966575
View attachment 2966576

Old
View attachment 2966607
New
View attachment 2966609
Man that's a clean engine bay. @FMC80 is probably going to print it out and put it on his wall.

................ I also order some used LS400 horns off of Ebay. At $40.00 delivered there a great upgrade over the wimpy stock 80 horns.

Old
View attachment 2966607
New
View attachment 2966609
Share your feelings toward the stock horns. Years ago I traded my son's Ford Taurus horns with mine. IMHO, these sound more like what a Land Cruiser should sound like. Stock harness stretched a little to make it work, but they connected with no mods to harness. Yeah, they're mounted opening side up, but they fit that way best. Drilled small holes in bottom to drain any moisture out so they wouldn't fill with water and gurgle...:rolleyes:
IMG_0394 (2).JPG

Old pic and engine bay definitely not as clean!

Last edited:
Man that's a clean engine bay. @FMC80 is probably going to print it out and put it on his wall.
Hey @Feldrian :flipoff2:

And no I didn’t print it, I saved it to my phone and filed it in the “Spank Bank” folder :flipoff2:

Does photo man have a site you can link me to for that pulley? Not running hot but I’m about to be stripping mine all apart. Really cool part over diving the pump!

Does photo man have a site you can link me to for that pulley? Not running hot but I’m about to be stripping mine all apart. Really cool part over diving the pump!
I’m not sure, I just pm him here and got it that way. @Photoman

It's been a long time since the 80 rolled out of the shop. Well it was down I repainted both bumpers the sliders and both front fenders.
Finally got all of that done and took her out for a test drive. She running really good and no leaks I need to get a few more shakedown miles on her before I head to
Cruise Moab in less then two week. Can't wait, such a great event and even better wheeling.

1649722210962.png

It's been a long time since the 80 rolled out of the shop. Well it was down I repainted both bumpers the sliders and both front fenders.
Finally got all of that done and took her out for a test drive. She running really good and no leaks I need to get a few more shakedown miles on her before I head to
Cruise Moab in less then two week. Can't wait, such a great event and even better wheeling.

View attachment 2978623
Those there be some sexy Walker Evans you got there.

just read this build thread nice job.
what is next to the dipstick?

remote mount oil filter with an area to fill oil? or a power steering fill point ?
i love all the tinkering.

how hard was it to remove the old bushings on the 4 link and push new bushings in?
i have a press and the will power.

love the reinforced stock lower rear links.
i want mine strong but don't want the squeaks and groins of heims.
have fun at cruise moab

just read this build thread nice job.
what is next to the dipstick?

remote mount oil filter with an area to fill oil? or a power steering fill point ?
i love all the tinkering.

how hard was it to remove the old bushings on the 4 link and push new bushings in?
i have a press and the will power.

love the reinforced stock lower rear links.
i want mine strong but don't want the squeaks and groins of heims.
have fun at cruise moab
That's a oversized power steering reservoir with cooling fins and utilizes the same motor oil filter that 1FZ uses ;)

If you have a press the bushing should be a easy job.

Thanks for the kind words !!

View attachment 2978623
Lookin forward to wheeling w/ you in Moab!

I was getting annoyed with the horn only working when it wanted. I had been in there before and cleaned the horn plate but it was acting up again. The Cruise Moab Tech inspection is one of the most thorough I have been through and I wanted the horn working correctly as it's required.
Here's the part.
1650033600078.png

At this point it's easy to remove the pin.
1650033699201.png

Did some cleaning when I had it apart
1650033806365.png

You can see the old Pin contact had worn down more then half way. with the new pin installed and the contact plate it rides on cleaned up
(I did not get pictures of the plate) and some Dielectric Grease on the contact points the horn now works with the steering wheel in any position:clap:
This is a 1:banana:job and well worth the effort.

Last thing I'm doing to the Cruiser before I head to CM.
I Fabbed up a mount for the new Element Fire Extinguisher, It's said to be the smallest & longest lasting extinguisher and safely and effectively puts out fires without the mess or toxicity.

1650114329273.png

Hole's where drilled and tapped into the mount for the mounting screws and it bolts the existing drivers seats bolts.
1650115372317.png

I thought the red paint was appropriate.
1650115491331.png

Element fire extinguishers are used by police, military and special forces groups around the world and are now available to the public !!

Now I need to get organized and packing for the long haul to Moab 880 miles one way, getting excited, planning to run trails for a week !!!

Oh yeah, she got a wash job.
1650117345613.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom