Builds '97 LX450 - Build it, break it, wheel it, fix it! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pull it all for a nice clean look.

make some caps for where the sensors go ;)

Yeah, you guys are probably right but in the end I'm pretty ghetto so I'll probably just clip the wires and leave the ABS sensor in there as a plug and then ignore it...

Says the guy who ordered up the Delta arms.
Make the caps😎

Well, good news, bad news. Good news is that the arms are here and fancy...bad news is that I have mangled the passenger side control arm bucket on the frame so badly that I am not sure if I can save it. I had to pull the arm out towards the rear as it is too bent to come out the bottom or the front of the bucket. I'll look a bit more after work and see what I can come up with, maybe cut it off just below the hole, make a 1/4 plate for the outside and go from there. If I wasn't so lazy I might cut off both buckets and build new ones, but that is unlikely to happen.

1647880694979.png

\
1647880761597.png

Mine look just as bad, I cut off the affected area plated both sides and added a 1/4" skid to the bottom ;)
1647883361689.png

Mine a mashed too. Derrick set me up with replacements cut from a good frame. Not sure I’ll ever use them though.

I think you should go 3 link……

@Broski did you completely remove the factory ears or just plate over them? Im thinking of removing the entire ear and trying to squeeze a 1/4 plate between the frame and the re-enforcement.

@Broski did you completely remove the factory ears or just plate over them? Im thinking of removing the entire ear and trying to squeeze a 1/4 plate between the frame and the re-enforcement.
Just plated over

Thats what I should have done, ha! Now it is so mangled that Im not sure I'll be able to save the factory mount, but who knows, never under estimate the power of a torch a BFH and a bad attitude. I have all three, so there is still hope!

The mount was pretty badly magled, looked like a "s" top to bottom and front to back. I trimmed it, heated it and then worked it over with a combination of hammer, crescent wrench and odd prying devices.

Finally, I used the plates I made and sandwiched the ear taking advantage of mucho foot pounds of torque in my impact wratchet and got it pretty straight.

I welded the brackets on and got things back together (mostly) so the truck could sit on its own weight again. Added the wheel spacers too for a bit wider stance and it looks like the beefier tie rod will clear just fine too.

I'll wrap everything up this week but so far so good. The only thing I don't like is that I had to get longer bolts for the radius arm in the back, I don't like only 1 thread showing, not safe. The issue is I could only source a 8.8 class in m18x100mm so I'll need to swap it out for a 10.9 class when I can

IMG_20220326_172900.jpg

IMG_20220326_172906.jpg

IMG_20220326_172911.jpg

IMG_20220326_172931.jpg

IMG_20220326_172951.jpg

The mount was pretty badly magled, looked like a "s" top to bottom and front to back. I trimmed it, heated it and then worked it over with a combination of hammer, crescent wrench and odd prying devices.

Finally, I used the plates I made and sandwiched the ear taking advantage of mucho foot pounds of torque in my impact wratchet and got it pretty straight.

I welded the brackets on and got things back together (mostly) so the truck could sit on its own weight again. Added the wheel spacers too for a bit wider stance and it looks like the beefier tie rod will clear just fine too.

I'll wrap everything up this week but so far so good. The only thing I don't like is that I had to get longer bolts for the radius arm in the back, I don't like only 1 thread showing, not safe. The issue is I could only source a 8.8 class in m18x100mm so I'll need to swap it out for a 10.9 class when I can

View attachment 2963491

View attachment 2963492

View attachment 2963494

View attachment 2963495

View attachment 2963496

Have you tried McMaster Carr? I used them a lot when I was a gun smith and needed new tools or hardware.

That front diff is ready for battle and those blingy arms are dope!

Have you tried McMaster Carr? I used them a lot when I was a gun smith and needed new tools or hardware.
They also have next day delivery, I use them often.

For metric Hardware & specialty automotive fasteners, BelMetric.com is the place to go. ;)

Got the new bolts and about 100 miles on the truck...I need to re-torque everything as it is making noise when I turn left or when the weight shifts front to back, sounds like the spring so might be a bad bushing somewhere or...?

As long as everything is tight, Utah here I come

Well, 1,832 miles later I am back from Cruise Moab. I had a good time and as you all know, driving to and from the trail adds a level of adventure that I really enjoy. I drove out Tuesday (13h 9min) ran Poison Spider as a shakeout run on Wednesday with @Broski then Kane Creek on Thursday and the Pickle/Mashed Potatoes on Friday. I ended up needing to come home on Saturday as my wife was out of town with my youngest daughter at a soccer tourney. I suck at taking pictures or writing up all the details, but my favorite obstacle was the gravy bowl on Mashed Potatoes (I think that is what it is called). It is a fairly deep bowl that needs a sharp right to climb up the wall. There is a crack on the right that you have to get your tire into pull the truck up. I was stuck spinning all 4 tires but couldn't get the truck over (although it did dry off the tires). I backed up, pivoted off the tire carrier, got the truck lined up and used the skinny pedal to crawl out...
Photos
Kane Creek

1651504991616.png

Poison Spider
1651505017606.png

Spanish Trail Arena
1651505119399.png

The front axle and new delta arms performed flawlessly. However, the slinky springs are really starting to piss me off, they make a LOT of noise popping and snapping, banging into the bucket mount, which I already trimmed...They are likely on their way to the parts bin once I save up a few more $$$ for something else. The only other learning was that with the wheel spacers, which were great, (I felt like the slightly wider track width helped a lot with off camber situations) and the axle moved forward an inch, I was rubbing the front lip of the inner fender at full turn. I unbolted it and used a pair of huge channel locks to bend the piece out of the way. I will use a self tapping screw to secure it in place later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom