Seat Belt Replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually,

I just looked at my spare set. They have two clear plastic covers. One clearly shows the ball bearing for stopping the belt during an accident. The other has the spring in it.

Both are stamped do not remove. Neither has screws for removal but plastic pins that look as if they would snap if I tried to remove them from around the spring. I also cannot get to the end of the belt as the reel doesn't roll that far.

Could you please do a step by step on how to adjust tension? I'd like to try this with the one I have on the bench and replace mine and I'd be grateful for the help

No need to remove any covers or plastic pins, I wouldn't touch that stuff. Your belt has to be able to completely unwind. You need to hold the spool/bracket very still and straight up as it would be positioned in the vehicle and then slowly and steadily pull the belt. I had to start and stop this a few times as it would lock up. Be patient it will unwind, it has to or it could never have been put on:cheers:

Funner,

Got it sorted!!!!!! Thanks and this has been real time help - just went to the garage and did this. With the set on the bench its a 10 min job. I used a vice grip to keep the belt from wanting to retract which freed up my hands to get the dowel out with a dental pick

Got to love IH8MUD and people like you

Cheers,

John

Last edited:
Funner,

Got it sorted!!!!!! Thanks and this has been real time help - just went to the garage and did this. With the set on the bench its a 10 min job. I used a vice grip to keep the belt from wanting to retract which freed up my hands to get the dowel out with a dental pick

Got to love IH8MUD and people like you

Cheers,

John

Happy to help, I have been on the receiving end of help a lot around here.:D

Replying to an old posting, thanks @Funner for sharing. This encouraged me to DIY vs sending out. Local PicknPull had a Camry with belts in better shape than my furball strap. BTW found that a dull 2" stiff putty knife can dislodge the retaining loop:
1622276789052.png

Mud to the rescue as usual! @Funner thanks for cross referencing this thread in the SafetyRestore one. Given my location, it saved me having any downtime on my truck and probably about $200 CAD!

I did notice a few differences with mine and I'm sure this is to do with mine being a HDJ81 from Japan. My truck is a 1994 and I pulled a seat belt from a 1995 Camry. The male end of the clasp or whatever it's called is the same, but the part around the belt is slightly different (see pic below, left from Camry and right from the LC).

AM-JKLUMez6N8FAwd9zO_rCjfG7Ug6nP99j1Lpb63YylCh65jv4ch4nyRQbFRXYYWHIDq7dYSLYat1u2mIEd2bUY4DZ-aityxLATHsduZaCQnywPRrAmysuzrArGmOFcqFcYxnk9pjfxijeb52zWCyiQsl0N=w1216-h912-no

Although different from what's in my truck the Camry one is the same as what is used for the rear seats. I also noticed the belt from the HDJ81 is about 200mm longer than the Camry.

AM-JKLU0T_olY7pyfKpAoy2mcIwUmKB_KyeIldJFW0efpfSay1STI-PHjNxNiT9LPja2vyFj8uBBTu-xDlxZpbq-fDirmfDoSkJuQsgFN-YcpN_WCH8kX-nU1ec1t1xHtJuOJuI02c2SUV55MNXdWLOM5MZN=w1216-h912-no

AM-JKLX_ZNPq2APzggtRmWBEbf-YngxkgU1rIjuW2ADGYkypsBdgvD8YcUTMo7fgjqgmh97foTcxzLg92ab_uKjEgeuSXFJ9n5bjvFd4WvFEIUYH1BSGebiv5-zgZzBGuIFjKuldhzkOuMF1vBA73A2PHVm3=w1216-h912-no

Maybe this is just due to manufacturing requirements FMVSS VS JIS? Whatever, it doesn't affect the operation and I'm not large enough that a slightly shorter belt matters.

Anyway, thanks again for the original post and the cross reference in the other thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom