Groaning and moaning in steering wheel while turning, low speed?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Groaning and moaning might signal something fantastic, but in this case it's more annoying than anything.

Turning at low speed, worse when cold weather. Sound comes from inside the car, almost as though it's very close to the steering wheel (like just behind it). Definitely not anything under the hood.

2015 with just over 100k miles. Dealer says its nothing and normal. Should I remove the covers around the turn signal arms/headlight stalk, and silicone spray? Sounds like a rubber bushing to me, but what do I know.

Have a listen (turn your volume UP):

I've noticed the same faint noise on my 2021. I'm not sure if it would be noticeable to anyone else, but it is definitely there. I know embarrassingly little about the mechanics of my new truck, compared to my 80s and 100, not sure if there is electric steering assist maybe?

I've noticed the same faint noise on my 2021. I'm not sure if it would be noticeable to anyone else, but it is definitely there. I know embarrassingly little about the mechanics of my new truck, compared to my 80s and 100, not sure if there is electric steering assist maybe?
In person it's not very faint, though the video makes it seem otherwise!

My 2019 does this in the morning when it’s cold, faintly. It’s the power steering pump. If it continues to get louder it could be a failing pump. Also check your PS fluid levels.

My 2019 does this in the morning when it’s cold, faintly. It’s the power steering pump. If it continues to get louder it could be a failing pump. Also check your PS fluid levels.
The noise is on the inside, not in the engine bay where the power steering pump is.

Does it do it in all positions (if you move the telescoping wheel in or out does it still do it)?

Does it do it in all positions (if you move the telescoping wheel in or out does it still do it)?
Yes, and after a little more inspection and putting my head down near the gas pedal, the noise seems to be coming from the rubber boot near the firewall inside the cabin

I put some silicone spray into these two places (see pictures; pulled back the rubber boot and also sprayed the knuckles) and it seems like the noise is gone. Will let you know if it comes back.

20211121_153740.jpg

20211121_153751.jpg

US market 200s have a variable ratio steering adapter on the shaft between the wheel and the steering rack. It is inside the passenger compartment.

What you hear could be this module doing it’s thing.

In the video yours just sounds scratchy to me with a lot of low rumbly bass in the background. It probably sounds different to you in person - the phone mic isn't great at this kind of detail.

My truck makes a low pitched squeaky sound when turning the steering wheel while parked or at very low speeds, particularly when cold. I've sprayed silicone lube under that rubber boot a few times (as best I can) and it seems to quiet the noise for a few weeks or maybe a month or so but then it comes back. Since mine does it while parked it was easy to put my head by the brake pedal and turn the wheel with my hand to find the general area of the noise. Agreed it's inside the cabin and definitely not the power steering pump (at least in my case)

If you figure out a more permanent solution to this I'm interested. I can't bring myself to try and dismantle the steering shaft and replace whatever rubber parts are causing the squeak because I suspect it'll be a PITA and cost an absurd amount of $ just to quiet a squeak.

Mines always done this. It's mainly affected by colder weather, like 60 and below. In south texas so it's only annoying a couple months out of the year. Goes away after it warms up though.
Spraying under that boot never silenced it. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere way higher up the shaft, like just behind the steering wheel. Remember reading someone had theirs fixed by the dealer, they replaced the whole shaft. My first truck was a sierra that did the same thing so I always figured it was haunting me for switching over to toyota.

Sub’d as am experiencing the same issue.

Good thread bump timing. Interested in this topic.

Same. After a full day/night on the trail, sitting stationary navigating around a small and tight camp site, at full lock before moving I get the normal power steering noise but with a rapid clicking it continues while moving and decreases with less turning applied.

bumpity bump bump

Mine does the same thing, that's even after power steering pump and whole line change.
The dealer said it's normal.
It's pretty bad when it's cold... when I make a turn, it sounds like someone is about to die. :(

Hi folks. This just started for me too. 2011 LX with 137k miles.

Fairly low volume, but can definitely hear it.

I had my mechanic evaluate it yesterday. As others have noted, he says it's coming from the intermediate steering shaft (my part number is slightly different from the one above; mine says 45240-60100). It does look like an expensive part ($1,700 - $2,700 online).

His recommendation was to leave it as-is for now. He was concerned that if we sprayed in lubricant, it could affect a sensor.

Fingers crossed it doesn't get worse 🤞

Any more developments on this issue? Mine was doing this. Flushed the whole trans steering fluid, went away, but now its back. Of course it is the cold season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom