What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (57 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC came out of paint today, now I can start installing the upgrades.
IMG_1596.jpg
IMG_1597.jpg

Looks like the DC Power alternator has shat the bed again :skull:
View attachment 2845983
Spoke with DC Power guys this afternoon. Let me first say they are very honest and easy to work with and never BS around. They explained that this is not unexpected! The peak voltage their 270A alternators are set to is 15.33A (see the spec sheet below). Since my truck sits outside in very cold temps (it was 19 F yesterday) and sometimes sit for more than a day without being driven, the batteries run a little low and the alternator churns out peak power. It is expected to go down to 14.2V to 14.8V range after the batteries (I have 2 of them) are topped off and and under the hood temps have climbed up a little.

To test that theory I drove for about 10 miles and noticed the reading to go down to 14.7V. At this point I think I will try it out like for a while and see if the volts stay below 15V on warm up - if they do, I will leave good enough alone.

specs for reference:
Specs.JPG

It does get louder, but only when the RPM raises above an idle. As soon as it starts driving slowly, the temps come down. That's what made me think the clutch was good, but maybe it's just on its way out.

When diagnosing my blown thermostat I noticed coolant levels were a touch low within the radiator and the A/C fan (in front of radiator) would not cycle. So when sitting still at idle in a drive-thru (which I do more than I should) or at long red lights, the temp would creep up. After replacing t-stat I tried different variations of A/C on vs. heat on vs. nothing on, etc. Even tried running direct power to the A/C fan itself, cleaning connections, etc. Nothing would crank that fan on until I topped off the radiator a few times, burped it and let it idle with all the heat on full blast for about 30 minutes. Now the A/C fan kicks on and off like new and we don't run hot at idle. :meh:

Late last year the TB/WP was replaced by a "Toyota Master Tech" at Firestone... They seemed to have replaced my red or pink coolant with green coolant and didn't even fill it all the way up. My fault for not checking behind the "master tech's" work lol This is why I have trust issues.

On our hundy's startup voltage should be 14.2, with a diode mod (for AGM batteries) 14.7, 15 is too high, you'll cook any battery at that voltage.
I tried the diode mod and my new xpower started to grow hair. Took it out and it’s been fine since.

If anyone interested

Explorer 300
Black Friday 30%

Go check them out on their site. Best bag for your buck.

View attachment 2847517
So how much are they paying you/how much free product are you getting for pushing their stuff?

Maybe its just me, but I feel people should disclose if they are affiliated or sponsored by a brand. Its one thing if someone uses a product and can recommend it to others because they just like it. Some of your posts have seemed very advertisement like. Not saying I don't like Jackery stuff, just feel like you might have some alterative motives behind your posts.

So how much are they paying you/how much free product are you getting for pushing their stuff?

Maybe its just me, but I feel people should disclose if they are affiliated or sponsored by a brand. Its one thing if someone uses a product and can recommend it to others because they just like it. Some of your posts have seemed very advertisement like. Not saying I don't like Jackery stuff, just feel like you might have some alterative motives behind your posts.
I did receive the explorer 300 from jackery. Im not getting commission. Ive bought jackery with my own money as well. Ive love jackery before they gave me a product to review. I just wanted to pass a discount to anyone thinking on getting one. Not pushing anything on anyone its just my opinion and if u can save sum money why not. I come here to forums for group buys and advice and tips. Dont take the wrong way its just me. Im just a regular Joe here with no alternative motives.

Last edited:
I did receive the explorer 300 from jackery. Im not getting commission. Ive bought jackery with my own money as well. Ive love jackery before they gave me a product to review. I just wanted to pass a discount to anyone thinking on getting one. Not pushing anything on anyone its just my opinion and if u can save sum money why not. I come here to forums for group buys and advice and tips. Dont take the wrong way its just me. Im just a regular Joe here with no alternative motives.
Alright guess I was wrong, I apologize.

I suppose the answer to "What have you done to you 100 this week?" is:

"Used it to display a product"

... but this post is more appropriate in the "deal of the day" or maybe "power systems" portions of the site.
If anyone interested

Explorer 300
Black Friday 30%

Go check them out on their site. Best bang for your buck.

Last edited:
New genuine steering knuckle complete with spindle bearings and seals, new dust seal, new genuine (should’ve got koyo and saved a bit…) wheel bearings, new 555 lower control arm ball joint.

Background: while doing routine bearing maintenance saw signs that bearings on LF whee had spun at some point. Big thanks to @bryson for getting me thinking about replacing everything. Considered used but between shipping and the cost of seals/bearings it didn’t seem like enough price difference to justify a crapshoot. Even with shipping it was about $540 from Partsouq, and I got a bunch of other parts for about zero extra shipping cost and everything was here in three days.

Then I boogered up my LCA ball joint threads by forgetting to put the nut on and using a puller with a cup-shaped fitting….drrr. So got a new 555 from NAPA and a ball joint set from Advance Auto. Kind of wrestled with the BJ trying to ensure it went in straight but eventually prevailed. And then forgot to paint it (555s are famous for instant surface rust); will see if I can hit it with sandpaper and a spray can before heading out this morning….

Had to do an axle snap ring swap because of the knuckle swap. Thank goodness I had a bag of snap rings from Cruiserteq and @TheForger ’s tool to pull the axle out nice and far to check the gap.

Bearings in there were timken, and the inside of the hub had clearly been gouged by an amateur removing the races (or I did it, which seems unlikely as I’ve removed a lot of wheel bearings and never down that before), which is weird bc the PO had almost everything done at the dealer…

5F907F53-4EB0-4018-9E5B-3BD222270FA8.jpeg
C4EC2DDE-8B4E-4DB8-99B6-E4EC9DA6B46B.jpeg
D9C96C8F-0287-46A8-98CF-FF98B6BC6698.jpeg
8E294A5F-53D4-4A1C-9B74-A155EF714577.jpeg
524E351B-4C7C-48F4-B555-67038F266602.jpeg
837782F4-D85F-442D-BDDC-74A58AB4E063.jpeg

Last edited:
The LX got new tires installed this week. First time on Falkens. Hope they live up to all the hype in the reviews I've read/watched :rofl: I went with 285/65/18 to stay at 33" and under.

i-Nv9pKQc-X3.jpg

The LX got new tires installed this week. First time on Falkens. Hope they live up to all the hype in the reviews I've read/watched :rofl: I went with 285/65/18 to stay at 33" and under.

i-Nv9pKQc-X3.jpg
How do you like them so far?

How do you like them so far?
I've driven about 50 miles so far. They are much quieter than my previous Coopers that were fairly low on tread. Much better grip on the dry road.

The power steering pump whine has stopped for now. Replaced the 3-month old OEM with another OEM. McGeorge's no hassle warranty return is making it good.

1637841842368.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom