Broken & Stranded - need of assistance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone

I have a 200 HE I took out to big bend national park. Took it on the backcountry and am assuming I snapped a UCA or ball joint. Pics attached.

Is anyone familiar with the area in who can recover the vehicle or with a bush mechanic that could diagnose & repair it?

I’m unsure as to what caused it. I’ve taken this trail several times in my 100 series and was even more gentle in this rig than my other one.

I’m in a remote part of the park. Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

DF34C73E-2AD6-4EF0-9D68-2FAD220F4839.jpeg

20CF5385-E867-4878-98FB-283AFE9FA9E3.jpeg

B1514BD9-0A72-4B06-8C2F-3B26601B6FD1.jpeg

C06D199A-BA23-4AAB-9DEA-5F98C3EAAB42.jpeg

What lift kit do you have?

Where did you have the lift installed? Based on the camber/alignment of the front tire, I’m inclined to say your UCA thru-bolt started backing itself out because it wasn’t torqued. We need pictures of the upper control arm to better diagnose.

I say this because if your UCA ball joint failed or came undone, that entire front rotating assembly (tire) would have essentially torn itself out of the truck unless you were crawling around at extreme speeds.

I’m not a good enough suspension mechanic to help, but those who are would need pics with the front wheel off. Can you jack it up, support it safely, and remove the wheel. If you were not beating things up, I’ll guess nothing broke and a bolt or nut came loose.

What lift kit do you have?

Looks like Dobinsons spring colors.

Does that inner tie rod look right - might just be the angle.

The lower ball joint seems to be at a much steeper angle than I'd expect it to be (low shaft should be more vertical). Is it possible that the lower ball joint came apart - see mine below for reference. The rubber boot appears to be taught, under tension, whereas mine is rounded/bulbous. Plus the camber/angle of the wheel is much more heeled over than I'd expect to see.

Wish I could help, but I'm nowhere nearby.

971A5894-853F-4CA2-854C-7631385A1A94.jpeg

Last edited:
Jack the rig up take the front wheel off take pics. Hard to see from this angle. If bolt came off without much else it could be a simpler fix.

My buddy who built it things the bolt came out of the UCA too. Everyone on overland USA says it’s UCA or LBJ.

Getting to the vehicle is going to be very difficult. I’ll try make it out today and get photos

With the limited pics my gut is also UCA pivot bolt loose. The bolt inserts through both pivots of the UCA from the front and nut is tightened onto the rear. If it isn’t torqued (which happens) the bolt walks out the front and the rear of the UCA will be pushed toward the engine, and upper ball joint rearward. The new misalignment of the UCA will keep the bolt jammed in the front part of the UCA.

That kinda looks like what is happening here, and if so all you should need to get it rolling is the UCA pivot bolt nut and washer, and a floor jack and probably a board or something to make sure it’ll work in the dirt.

More pictures would be better.

You could bring a lower control arm (with balljoint installed); and top bolt, washers and nut when you go back to make sure you're covered for either of those. Maybe even a full UCA, just in case. Although a LCA would be a bit of a pain to do in the field, it seems doable. Especially on a new rig where you're not dealing with years of corrosion.

I was thinking even if you can’t get the nut for the UCA bolt you may be able to use a small hose clamp and stop often to ensure it isn’t coming off.

I wouldn’t get on the freeway with family in the truck in that state, but it should let you drive it out.

With the limited pics my gut is also UCA pivot bolt loose. The bolt inserts through both pivots of the UCA from the front and nut is tightened onto the rear. If it isn’t torqued (which happens) the bolt walks out the front and the rear of the UCA will be pushed toward the engine, and upper ball joint rearward. The new misalignment of the UCA will keep the bolt jammed in the front part of the UCA.

That kinda looks like what is happening here, and if so all you should need to get it rolling is the UCA pivot bolt nut and washer, and a floor jack and probably a board or something to make sure it’ll work in the dirt.

More pictures would be better.
You were dead on. Sorry for the delay in response. The pivot bolt popped out as I guess the nut wasn’t fastened that well. I was able to refit the pivot bolt in the UCA without a nut, and ratchet strap it to get me off the trail. Had a couple more miles of climbing at it made it thankfully. Was able to secure a nut to get me home and I’ll be replacing the bolt when I get home.

Thanks for the advice guys

Great news. Glad to hear you got off the trail safely.

Nice call @shehadln and @bloc!

Ratcheting spanners work really well for tightening those nuts in that tight space.

You were dead on. Sorry for the delay in response. The pivot bolt popped out as I guess the nut wasn’t fastened that well. I was able to refit the pivot bolt in the UCA without a nut, and ratchet strap it to get me off the trail. Had a couple more miles of climbing at it made it thankfully. Was able to secure a nut to get me home and I’ll be replacing the bolt when I get home.

Thanks for the advice guys
Good to hear! I’d give that front bushing a close look when you go to put it back together correctly. With how misaligned that arm was it is possible it damaged the bushing or even maybe bent the arm.

Ratcheting spanners work really well for tightening those nuts in that tight space.

Agreed.

Plus, with most of the aftermarket arms the inner bushing sleeve turns free within the bushing, so there is no reason you can’t torque the bolt with the suspension dropped out. Meaning when there is a lot more room in the wheel well.

Stock bushings with their bonded inner sleeve are what you need to torque at ride height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom