Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KIMG2745.JPG
KIMG2741.JPG
KIMG2743.JPG

Finally got around to getting it put together. They forgot to send me the cable set, so still waiting on that, but the concept stays the same. Bike certainly sticks way out there since I have it on my spare, but the push was to have it on the swing out for quick and easy access into the cargo area. Took a bit of modification and some creativity, but it turned out pretty nice I think. I'll have to get a flag for the bars... Overall, goal achieved.

View attachment 2562971

View attachment 2562972

View attachment 2562970
Rev 2.

It FEELS stable. Seems like a lot of overhung load, though.

F40F01D2-D648-4161-9AA7-70D44307003C.jpeg

88B35DBB-97A0-4DDF-820C-5103E3377F75.jpeg

680B6F6B-1CE4-4000-8FB7-E8FD814391B9.jpeg

D9D10420-F0C8-4B43-B63F-54F9F5F25945.jpeg

Kuat NV with separate extender. I use it in lower settting due to a recommendation to clear tire and bumper but after taking these pictures I think I can raise it up as well. But completely clears tire and bumpers no problem. I like how quick it is to put on bike, the lock, and also the cam system so it won’t rattle around.

411BE2BE-87E2-4619-A35B-ADAE87346BDB.jpeg

93526095-7AC4-49A8-9629-96122DE57D03.jpeg

Last edited:
Kuat NV with separate extender. I use it in lower settting due to a recommendation to clear tire and bumper but after taking these pictures I think I can raise it up as well. But completely clears tire and bumpers no problem. I like how quick it is to put on bike, the lock, and also the cam system so it won’t rattle around.

View attachment 2762158

View attachment 2762159
Yup. Flipped it. Looks better

29D78098-75BC-40D9-BE53-79069FA73272.jpeg

1565B57B-A823-4D02-B907-186B3720E544.jpeg

EC049C31-C418-484A-9548-BA944E993DD3.jpeg

That looks great
Thanks! Still holding strong; I did shift the rack a little more to the driver's side, but the bike is centered with how I have it fastened down.

It pivots oh so slightly after slamming the tire carrier a million times this past week on my trip. May get something to square it a little better, but it definitely works. I also put one of those anti-rattle things on. Solid

D2E3F823-4DE0-4E12-9AD3-2566EDD5B2B1.jpeg

C954B86D-2B1C-4D2C-B063-05DF06003620.jpeg

Last edited:
I wanted a 1UP rack but didn't want to wait, or pay over retail for a used one. I ended up buying a Thule T2 Pro X2, its extremely solid and does a good job of holding all bike sizes. The integrated cable lock is literally useless however, so don't rely on it (you can yank the entire mechanism off).
IMG_5810.jpg

This may be the solution I have been looking for. Can we get a close up of how you attached the rack?
Here's a copy/paste I sent to another guy that was interested in another thread:

I'm not familiar with your bumper, but the ARB swingout has a 2" receiver that is centered in the spare wheel.

My 1UP is intended for a roof rack, not the typical ones you see with the swing down mount. This was important for me because it offers a T-slot the entire length of the mount and gives options to mount.

I took a drop hitch that's used on Bro-Dozers (I think this was an 11" drop?) and went from there. The mounting lugs and the bolt pattern for the spare wheel only give me space for north to south direction for a receiver pin instead of the intended west to east, so I drilled two holes through the drop hitch and used a locking pin to secure. An anti-rattle clamp should be here in a couple days to tighten it all down.

Included with the 1UP are a couple aluminum clamps that are intended to clasp around a roof rack rail, but I'm using them to clasp around the drop hitch. The drop hitch has about a 1" hole where a receiver ball would be mounted and I grabbed three 3/8" carriage bolts for the T-slot. I sized up some nylon to act as a positioning bushing for this hole and drilled a 3/8" hole for the center carriage bolt which goes from T-slot > through top clamp > through nylon bushing that's inserted into the drop hitch hole > through bottom clamp > fastened with flat washer and nylon locknut. This helped position for install but will also help promote things staying in place.

To keep the clamps inline and really crank things down, I used two shorter carriage bolts on opposing sides of the center bolt in the T-slot that fasten to security barrel nuts that run through the clamps with Loctite. This gives me three bolts that span across a 6" length clamp against the rack to help battle the overhung load. I also offset the rack about 5" from center to the driver side to help with this as well. The design of the 1UP still allows me to center the bike on the truck.

This is the best shot I have of what’s going on right now. Hopefully it makes sense.

1629862358302.png

I'll probably just keep the rack on the truck even when not in use. Can't even tell it's there and I've got a locking pin plus security nuts. 1UP does a great job with their coatings, so corrosion isn't an issue.

I would weld on a section of square tubing to the drop hitch to better counteract the torque. You would then attach the rack to the tube with longer screws. Just a thought.

bike.jpg

FJ60 paired with a 1up double hosting my XL Evil the following v3. Love Evil's used to have a reckoning and recently picked this up since I don't really need as much travel nowadays, don't really send lift accessed bike parks like I used to.

just ordered some 1UP racks. i bought the roof rack version so i can use them on my military trailer when hauling kids bikes. then i bought the 2 place trailer hitch that i can use when i’m just with my wife and don’t need the trailer. the roof racks can be adapted to the trailer hitch but not the other way around. very excited to give these a try. i’ll post some pics once i have them all set up. hauling 5-6 bikes without a pick up bed is tough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom