Why all the start up smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a new to me low ish milage BJ60 (260k km).
Wondering why all the smoke during cold starts....
I did the Wilson switch mod and it starts up right away but sputters and spews out some major smoke.
I'm more trying to understand whats actually happening vs trying to diagnose the issue since its most likely not something I can fix haha

Pretty sure I've got great compression since it actually fires up quick, is low mileage and isn't really burning any oil.

If valve stem seals or HG was the issue why would it only smoke on cold starts? If its above 5deg or I plug it in at night I get smoke free starts. Wouldn't warmer temps cause more oil or coolant to sneak into the combustion chambers?

Do injectors have anything to do with cold starts?

If you have good compression and a good working glow system, then most likely it is air getting into your fuel system. I'm not familiar with the 3B in particular, but do some searching, as this has come up many times before.

Have you checked each of your glow plugs for continuity? One bad one would give the result you are seeing.

And what colour smoke?- If it's white, then I'll double down on a bad plug.

Are we talking a puff of smoke that quickly clears, or is it smoking while idling until it warms up, and how much smoke, what color?

Glow plugs are new. I just did the wilson switch mod.

Puffs out white smoke for about 3 to 5 seconds then its clear. Idle is a bit lumpy for a couple seconds as well but smoothes out pretty quick.
Defiantly an embarrassing amount of smoke gets produced in those few seconds tho.

Have you tried glowing the plugs while its running? What color is the smoke? Does it pump in time with a cylinder?

smoke is white, which mean unburnt fuel right?
glowing the plugs during the first few second of start up doesn't do anything for the smoke.
I wonder if this could be Injectors? Bad spray pattern when they are cold?

Connect a volt meter to the bus bar and see the major drop in voltage, your original setup was 6 volt, working perfect.
Now changed to 12v with push button.
12v plugs use so much power they get 6-8 volts, it still is a glow plug problem.
Use the old ones one more time to check.

[

Connect a volt meter to the bus bar and see the major drop in voltage, your original setup was 6 volt, working perfect.
Now changed to 12v with push button.
12v plugs use so much power they get 6-8 volts, it still is a glow plug problem.
Use the old ones one more time to check.

Im pretty sure the 6V was working fine but I needed new glow plugs and it was easier to go 12V with a switch than have the dealer source me 6V.

Im not sure Im following you tho, what is wrong with just using 12V plugs and feeding them 12V?
I bypassed all the superglow stuff and using my own relay so I should be getting the full 12V?

Your saying that the 12V plugs suck so much juice that im not actually getting 12V?

You are hitting your button and powering the glowplugs when the engine is off, no alternator putting out charge, battery has at best 12.6V before you hit the glow system, it's unlikely you're getting a full 12V to the plugs.

On my HDJ81, cold start, my head unit has a display showing voltage, and it's not unusual to see it dip into the high 10's WITH the engine running! The glow plugs draw so much current that my power windows barely work!

Thanks guys. It looks like I have the correct glowplugs for the Wilson switch. NGK7493 or Y-147T
Which are 10.5V
Going to do a draw test on my batteries just to see where they are at.

Are you not asking too much from a old tired diesel old school engine in a cold weather ..?

I've got a new to me low ish milage BJ60 (260k km).

[snip]

Do injectors have anything to do with cold starts?

I wonder if this could be Injectors? Bad spray pattern when they are cold?

Yep. Injectors wear. They'll still pop open and flow fuel, but your spray pattern is getting sloppy and causing the spray to be larger droplets instead of a fine mist. Colder temperatures mean they aren't burning fully and you're getting smoke. As soon as it warms up a bit, they burn more cleanly and the smoke disappears.

Remove the busbar and check the plugs for continuity.
New glow plugs don't mean working plugs.

I had new plugs and after some months of smokey starts i checked them. One plug was burnt.
So i replaced it and i had nice starts without smoke.

Higher altitudes will contribute to more smoke during cold starts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom