Finally happened to me, Dash/Tail lights are out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The trailer harness box on PS rear quarter panel was wet on mine after a rain... But the small gage green (uninsulated) wire that runs from the PS to DS in the very back of the truck near the tailgate was close to being compromised by the sheet metal it was rubbing up against.

Probably completely different, but I’ll throw my hat into the ring! When my lights were going haywire, I tracked it down to a broken ground on pass. Front light. Ran new ground, and knock on wood.... no problems since!

Trailer harness was my issue.. I ripped it out and the hitch too

20181118_111416.jpg
I was losing tail lights due to a mouse-chewed wire from the body sill to the tailgate. I accidentally found it when the body-side grommet poped out of the sill exposing the chewed wire.

Last edited:
FINALLY I had some to much with this. One by one I disconnected and threw away all of the trailer wiring. No change. I disconnected each of the taillight housings one by one. Nothing. I then disconnected the main harness that attaches at the rear crossmember and supplies all the wiring to the back. No change. Still popping fuses.

I still have the Slee headlight wiring harness and it all still seems fine EXCEPT the connector that goes to the battery was absolutely shot to s***. Front headlights still worked fine but that short two-wire lead has got to go.

Still need to figure out what the heck it up. Frustrating. Especially since I’m leaving for Tahoe in 5 days :(

The trailer harness box on PS rear quarter panel was wet on mine after a rain... But the small gage green (uninsulated) wire that runs from the PS to DS in the very back of the truck near the tailgate was close to being compromised by the sheet metal it was rubbing up against.

Trailer harness was my issue.. I ripped it out and the hitch too

I had the trailer wiring converter be my issue on two 80's. Removing or replacing solved it for me.

View attachment 1834496 I was losing tail lights due to a mouse-chewed wire from the body sill to the tailgate. I accidentally found it when the body-side grommet poped out of the sill exposing the chewed wire.

Probably completely different, but I’ll throw my hat into the ring! When my lights were going haywire, I tracked it down to a broken ground on pass. Front light. Ran new ground, and knock on wood.... no problems since!

The ground that is on the passenger fender by the overflow tank?

The ground that is on the passenger fender by the overflow tank?

I’m in a 91 so my battery is on passenger side, but “below” my battery tray, towards the top of the metal trim panel that holds both parking lights. (Hope that makes sense!) I got lucky,when mine went out I just happened to trip, fall, and hit my head on the damaged connector..... otherwise I probably would still be hunting it down!

Check your cigarette lighter and dash area... Maybe some fancy switch holder accidentally hit something

I had an old RX-7 that the dash light dimmer went bad and did this. Doubt it's it but would be easy to bypass it with a jumper to make certain.

Have you checked the easy culprits? Removed all running light bulbs (front and rear), checked all sockets, and lastly inspected all the wiring connectors. For the rear connectors you need to remove the black plastic tail light inner shields. Corrosion on any of the above areas could short the wires together causing your fuse to blow.

for me the ashtray light was the culprit. After disconnecting it for a cb install, it found some metal to ground out on after a few years.

I’ve definitely narrowed it down to somewhere along the Slee headlight harness. I need to narrow it down some more but it’s definitely that circuit. I’ve disconnected everything else and reattached. Once I disconnected the side market light, the problem goes away. I’ll research some more. Btw, I’m not yet blaming that harness as the culprit, just that circuit. It could easily be something I did ten years ago. I’ll find out soon.

D8DDAD67-BDAC-4002-B6AC-56BA7D64807B.jpeg
B485037C-1A16-4AB9-9793-E8AB372B0C94.jpeg

There you go, blame it on "younger Joey"

100% the issue is at the passenger corner light wiring. Now gotta figure out where the short is :hmm:

100% the issue is at the passenger corner light wiring. Now gotta figure out where the short is :hmm:

Lol.... exact spot my ground let go, and had to be redone!

A faulty ground wouldn't cause a short, it would prevent the light from turning on.

Exactly...... that’s the issue I had. 12(?) 14(?) gauge wire that separated from loom going into front passenger headlight came undone from behind the thin metal panel that holds the turn signal lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom