Routine Rear Brake Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All -

I know the blog overflows with brake info, and I have sorted through as much as possible prior to posting this routine rear brake question. However my questions are from a lazier/less mechanically talented standpoint than most of you, so I apologize and hope a few of you can tell me if I'm track with the following, or not.

Toyota did a routine oil change (yes I take it there for this so I can get them to inspect the remainder of vehicle).

They discovered that A) 2mm left on rear brake pads (not sure why they didn't catch this 5k earlier) B) rotors are beyond resurfacing and in need of replacement C) calipers ok

Toyota quote at $450, which is my first question - good pricing?

Second question - what components am I after exactly aka what type of pads and OM rotor replacements? Do I upgrade the rotors to slotted or no?

Third question - I was thinking of pricing out Midas and Firestone to get a better gauge on the pricing from Toyota. End of day I only want OM parts. Any other suggestions on how to go about this process?

Fourth and final - I have rusty hubs, which you can see through the wheels. Not terrible, would prefer no rust however as is a bit unsightly. Do I take this opportunity to have the rust removed as well, is this a routine brake shop item? Any additional thoughts advice on that item appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If it helps, I just did the job myself. The rears were exceptionally easy. You need a jack, jack stands, lug wrench and your parts. In your case, rotors - and pads. I spent well under $200 for oem pads and new rotors from O’Reilly’s. I had the job done in under an hour. Go for it!

Thanks @TheForger - had no idea there were local groups, appreciate the tip there.

@dchilds - thanks for the encouragement to give it a shot. Can you confirm that the following video is consistent with what you did? I think this puts me on the right track, and after watching the video would agree this is fairly straightforward stuff:

It is extremely easy job, just one caveat, be very careful when you take the rotor off, if you mess up the e-brake stuff it's a pita to get it back together. One other thing, make sure you secure the caliper once you got it off, either from the coil spring or something else, don't leave it hanging by the line. I did use the same video as reference.
I can't remember the size of the bolt you need to get it off, could be M8 or M10 and 3 or 4 inches long. It's the same that you use to pull the CV axle to insert the snap ring.

good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom