Valve stem oil seals / rear main / oil usage questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang - long time - no board. Hope everyone is well 190K miles, original engine.

1.) How much oil can you burn from old valve stem oil seals?

2.) No oil leaking while parked - nothing on driveway or in garage, but always oil around rear main / transmission. Front oil pump seal good, oil pan seal good, valve cover gaskets good. Rear main seal? Standard stuff with oil changes, but I clean that up

3.) No visible oil burn in exhaust. Cats burning it off?

4.) EGR is disabled.

Changing and adding oil regular basis, no compression check, engine seems to run fine. Just regular stuff for a 20 year old truck. Oil is going somewhere. Comments or ideas welcome.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Going to post WTB, but thought I'd ask since some of you guys that have stuff laying around. I don't have the space. Have traded stuff here before and given things away.

Need one center cap, '97 16" alloy. Somebody decided they needed one off my truck. Will be painted black so can be worn.

Need one interior black triangular trim piece cover PS rear view mirror bolts. Broke old one while putting new piece of belt mold on door.

Thanks and take care.

Before my head gasket popped and had my head rebuilt I was getting the low oil level light. Never seen any evidence through the exhaust but my cats get pretty hot along with my floorpan and center console...

With rebuilt head which included new valve stem guides and seals, oil consumption went to 0 or close to it. I still have a slight rear main seal leak...

(My truck emissions pass with flying colors even with a disabled EGR system, so not touching the cats until after this year in which they will be deleted.)

Last edited:
I figure it's gotta be valve stem oil seals. Head gasket went out while still under warranty so no head rebuild. Fine for years. Driven mostly by wife and periodically now. Too small for me. Always was, but I had to have one - last year of solid axles. Racked up miles on highway trips. Thanks for input.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom