Staked nut options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
un-staking a nut is sometimes easy and sometimes a pain. I suppose they we invented before some of the compounds we have available now like Red Locktite. Would that be sufficient or do they have to be staked?

I still stake mine, and use Loctite also.

The FSM Specs are to stake the Nut , I always stake mine , If u don't they WILL vibrate loose in a short time

I also use Orange FIPG 00295-01281 on the Companion Flange Splines all the way to the back side of the Staked Nut to prevent

Gear Oil or ATF Fluid Thru-Spline Leaks

This method has worked well for me

DSCN7714.JPG

This 1979 FJ55L-KA had a Loose Rear axle Companion Flange Nut Due to NOT being staked by the " PO :poof: " , Water was able to

migrate in thru the pinion and contaminate the Gear Oil as shown

Stake Your Nuts per the FSM .................;)

This 1979 FJ55L-KA had a Loose Rear axle Companion Flange Nut Due to NOT being staked by the " PO :poof: " , Water was able to

migrate in thru the pinion and contaminate the Gear Oil as shown

Stake Your Nuts per the FSM .................;)

You'd have to be under water a LONG time to get water in thru a pinion seal. At that point, I'd suspect axle seals and breathers to be potential culprits as well, and would be advising the customer to have me pull and change the axle seals.

As far as the stake nut question...

see post#5

Help identify transmission/xfer case

Last edited:
The FSM Specs are to stake the Nut , I always stake mine , If u don't they WILL vibrate loose in a short time

I also use Orange FIPG 00295-01281 on the Companion Flange Splines all the way to the back side of the Staked Nut to prevent

Gear Oil or ATF Fluid Thru-Spline Leaks

This method has worked well for me

View attachment 1744845
Is the orange FIPG readily available that the Toyota dealership? NAPA? Or?

Is the orange FIPG readily available that the Toyota dealership? NAPA? Or?

YES , Toyota Dealership's Only

its fairly priced as well

Do Not buy any versions of liquid sealers at NAPA that Toyota Sells a Version of ,

The Toyota ones are Far Superior in every way .............. :popcorn:

Last edited:
That is not a manual; that is the crackaganda that Toyota ships with the 00295-01281 transaxle FIPG...

There was another pic from some manual that described what and how to take care of nut staking. Post #3 in this thread I think, but it’s not there anymore. The “crackaganda” (lol) still is. Must have been edited out. It’s not from the FSM that I have, different font and layout style. Maybe not a Toyota document either. I’ve been trying to find out what it is, there have been other threads with similar looking posts but those too have come up short on determining what this mystery document is. Kind of weird. Hijack over (again - someday maybe).

The small piece of paper that is on the wood grain desk back ground is the instructions sheet that comes with a tube of

00295-01281

it is Not a repair manual page ripped out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom