Project 80's. Any regret? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious to hear from folks here about buying a project FJ80. I understand the basics on what to look for, rust, engine problems, leaks etc. Main question is if you had to do it again would you?

I've been looking for a daily for my wife. Almost every ad suggests way more money in bills than asking price. I like to think I have ok skills but I'm no mechanic. I have good friends that wouldn't charge much and would allow me to help. We have a great 4 Runner I'd like to keep but my wife really doesn't want a third vehicle or project.

Resale for a solid FJ is crazy at the moment. Don't want to get in over my head. Thanks in advance. Joe

Take a look at my thread. I traded a rusty 2wd 190k mile Toyota pickup straight across for my blown head gasket 240k mile FJ80 and the thread documents most of what I've had to do to make it roadworthy. At this point my truck is worth at least what I have into it. It's really easy for costs to spiral out of control and if you're not doing your own work I'd recommend spending more money up front for one that's actually been maintained. If you get a clapped out one as a project your life will turn into an episode of roadkill. Good luck.

Mike's disaster of a landcruiser project, 1992 "big red"

Take a look at my thread. I traded a rusty 2wd 190k mile Toyota pickup straight across for my blown head gasket 240k mile FJ80 and the thread documents most of what I've had to do to make it roadworthy. At this point my truck is worth at least what I have into it. It's really easy for costs to spiral out of control and if you're not doing your own work I'd recommend spending more money up front for one that's actually been maintained. If you get a clapped out one as a project your life will turn into an episode of roadkill. Good luck.

Mike's disaster of a landcruiser project, 1992 "big red"
Thanks Mike. I'll look through your thread once I get to a computer. Phone sucks for reading long threads. I may have an inside for parts near cost but I don't know if he'll be able to get oem. If it's not a daily running in mint condition like suggested here wouldn't be a priority asap, i.e.fixing every single leak at once.

Projects come in a variety of shapes and sizes. For the most part a true "project" is a big undertaking and will be expensive in terms of time and $$ any way you slice it. What do you get in return for all of that time and $$? That's an important question and can help you decide if it's worth it for you. For the most part I enjoy the process of restoration, and find working with my hands in small intervals is a great counterpoint to all of the time on the computer that my job requires. That satisfaction of accomplishing something I can see, feel and drive is why I do it. It's a lot less about the finished product or about trying to save money and I'm pretty sure that 95% of the time the most efficient way to get what you want is to buy it already finished. It's not a practical way to save money the vast majority of the time unless you have pro level skills, resources, luck or whatever.

What really matters in your post/question in my opinion is where you said: "my wife really doesn't want a third vehicle or project". Listed to your wife, find the path forward that you are excited about and she is comfortable with. If she doesn't want a project then it's probably a bad idea for you, possibly in ways you can't understand now but will regret later. It's possible to follow passions and also have a happy marriage and it's well worth the effort that it takes to keep an open mind, listen to your wife and be creative to figure out how to proceed.

I'm having a blast restoring my 80, I think my wife is enjoying watching the process unfold too but the truck has it's position in our priority list and my wife helps me keep it where it should be when I would probably obsess and overdo focus on my truck and miss out on other good things or get burned out on it, etc...

In terms of finding a restoration project:

• Definitely avoid rust, this is not negotiable in my opinion/experience. If there is rust don't get involved with it.
  • Probably avoid paint and body work. This is probably harder to pull off but if you can find a truck needing mech. work and possibly interior costmetics only then you will get way more return on your time/$$ investment. Mech work is pretty much a give and relatively cheap easy given what you get out of your efforts. Interior work is also easy and cheap relative to what you get out of your investment of time/$$. Paint and body work however is time consuming, expensive and is hard to do within the value limits that 80s currently have in the market. It will be years before 80s are worth enough to justify high-end paint/body work so you'll probably have to cut corners and won't end up with a really nice exterior unless you can buy a project that is straight with good paint.

Ideal 80 projects in my books would be rust free, good paint, straight body, with relatively low miles (under 200k) and a blown head gasket for a purchase of under 2k. You could do a pretty thorough mechanical restoration, with some interior work (seat covers, cleaning, leak fixing) for under 10k if you did most of the work yourself and end up spending less or close to what the final value of the truck is worth. Even in this scenario you aren't getting paid for your time so are really losing out. You'd be way better off in terms of end results buying a nice 80 for $10k or so and then working an hourly job with your time. Only if you luck into a pristine 80 that only needs a HG and nothing else could you possibly get into a make money situation in my opinion. That being said, other folks may chime in with different numbers/experiences but I think they will be the exception.

If 80s are ever worth 20-30k then there will be more room for restorations to make some/low return on time invested but I don't think we are there yet unless I've missed an upsurge in the market.

Thanks a solid response jpoole, thanks for your insight.

I have some influential input with wife, she wants what she wants but doesn't necessarily know what it'll take. She just told me she could care less about selling the 4 Runner which broke my heart some. Its been our best vehicle all around, owned since new and we thought we'd pass down to our daughter when she turned 16.

Looking like a restore will cost a bit more. I'm a firefighter, use to have a second job but have enjoyed my off days with the family more lately. I'm the kind of person that likes to stay busy though. That being said ill have some time to tinker but don't want to be overwhelmed . Guess it'll boil down to finding the right rig.

We're leaving for a 3 week driving trip out west next month. Finishing up a trailer project for that . Once we get back late july the search will pick up.

Ive always lurked here but lately looking for input. Great resource and i thank everybody here for their input.

I bought my 80 as a daily driver with an understanding that it has its quirks and I would need to work on it from time to time. I don't regret it one bit, and I am enjoying the time tinkering on it and building it into what I want it to be. That being said, there is no way I would expect my wife to drive it daily with all the errands she runs with kids usually in tow. It's just not worth the headache to me.

Bought my 80 basically completely stock in decent shape 3 months ago knowing it was going to be a project. Only regret I have is watching my bank account empty :cry:

F980D0C2-61A8-4C3E-9B2C-0F1D7D4B0727.jpeg

I’d di it again. And again. And...

Love cruiser projects.

You mentioned that you are looking for a daily driver for your wife, but are also asking about a project.

A project vehicle can't be a daily driver in my mind. Especially for it to be the wife's daily driver.

no regerts
i bought my 80 to haul my 3 dogs around,when we go up into the hills.
i wanted a bit more room than my bronco and didn't want to mess up the bronco(sold)
fixed a few things and its work in progress also,ripped out everything south of the front seats carpet included and put down rubber mats and indoor outdoor carpet.

You mentioned that you are looking for a daily driver for your wife, but are also asking about a project.

A project vehicle can't be a daily driver in my mind. Especially for it to be the wife's daily driver.

If we got a project it'd be a third car.

yeah, a lot of regret
have two 97 80's. It's really expensive. A lot of work, a lot of money. Only do it because for some reason emotionally addicted. If I could narcan the addiction they'd both be on the block and sold down the river. Parts getting NLA. Lots of repairs, seems baselining never ends never mind the add-on projects.
If I had a brain I'd take my 97 F350, put big tires on it, a rear locker and that would be my camper / overland. No other vehicle in the US is quite as 'magical' as the 80, but if I was concerned about money to a much higher degree than I am I would go a totally different route. The only way to keep cost down to a small avalanche is to do ALL the work yourself except for the machine shop type stuff. That means big tool set, electrical knowledge, torch, welder, now you're into it regardless. If you're already very cost conscious, which seems likely via your posts, I would go a different direction. Maybe not as cool as a vehicle, but more done for less and not fighting battles of parts, high mileage vehicles and so on. As for me, I'm an addict and just looking for a fix. But in a lot of ways, rational ways, don't like being an addict at all. One day I'll get on a nicotine program and the 80's will be gone and I won't be looking back.

Honest, yoda. Beginning to think most folks share your feelings but our a little proud to say so. Guess a sweet 80 will make you forget a lot of headaches.

Bought mine a year ago completely stock with a lot of maintenance to be done. I've since deleted the running boards, mud flaps, and flares. Changed all fluids, brand new hoses for it, alternator, distributor, egr and o2, belts, and battery.

Didn't need to do some of these items but I wanted my rig to be reliable before beautiful. I wound do it again in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom