Need help! First time rear axle bearings. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had play on my rear wheel and assumed it was wheel bearings. The play was in and out not side to side, if that makes sense.
First step was to drain the pumpkin. About 6,000 miles ago, I replaced the pinion seal with Marlin Crawler's and added their magnetic hex key drain plug and replaced old 90 weight with that expensive purple stuff. It isn't purple anymore and there is significantly more metal filings on the magnet then there was last time.

IMG_20180421_120116025_HDR.jpg

Next, chalked and blocked the rear, pulled the wheels and brake hubs. Brakes look nearly new, so that's good news. Managed to get the diff cover off, pulled the 12 mm bolt that released the pin and got the driver side c-clip off and axle.
The bearings have no grease, just that synthetic purple stuff. Is this normal? Is there another seal in there?

Also, I tried to be careful, but a large cone shaped washer fell out of the diff and am not sure how it goes back in there. Anybody got a link to a diagram?

I'm a little less paniced then before, the cone washer was off of the spider gear. There is no inner seal. I did have to borrow a slide hammer to get the old bearings out. All in all, this is a straight forward job. I'm thinking the bearings were just fine and the slop was the axle pounding between the c-clip and the center pin. I'm feeling foolish but getting to know the semi floater. It's not nearly the mystery I imagined.

Photos? I love me some pictures. :)
Seems tho you had no problems other than sourcing a slide hammer to borrow.

Here you go Felicity. Shiny spider gears, 30+ years and nearly 110,000 miles. The experience was worth it, but the noise and play is still there. I'm thinking it's the nature of the semi-float axle. Also, I effed up and put the driver side bearing in backwards. I'm not sure it will matter, but the lip on the cage is the only difference. If I have to redo it, all I will need is another bearing, seal, and 3+quarts of 90 weight

IMG_20180421_135740039.jpg

IMG_20180421_135734709.jpg

IMG_20180421_140608944_HDR.jpg

something is eating something back there....you shouldn't see that much shiney in the oil after a mere 6k miles
Yeah, that's concerning. If it wasn't the Purple Power synthetic lube, then it could be stress/drive train alignment issue from the Ol Man Emu 2.5" lift. I'm at a loss to know what's going wrong.

So the thrust washers and thrust block and c clips all came in different thicknesses to take up casting and wear slip...

Slop...

So the thrust washers and thrust block and c clips all came in different thicknesses to take up casting and wear slip...
I didn't notice any washers, but a thicker thrust block and maybe thicker c clips would solve the slip. Thanks for the info. Is something I can order from Toyota?

Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom