Need help finding drop pitman arm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a 3" - 4" drop arm that fits a saginaw box 32 spline output and chevy small taper TRE (1/2" - 5/8") that is longer reach than the standard CJ7 5.5" center to center. 7" center to center (measured parallel) would be ideal but 6.5" will work.

Note: This is for a 40 with 4 bolt/4.25 turn box to Advanced Adapter drag link, 4" SUA.

I have talked to Georg at Valley Hybrids and West Texas Off Road - they thought a Jeep J20 might be right, but couldn't confirm. I have searched Mud and Pirate every way I can think of, contacted Summit, Skyjacker, and probably 1/2 dozen other parts houses (no one can provide measurements before ordering!).

Starting to think custom might be only way to go, but don't know who else to contact. But also, if someone knows for sure a manufacturer and part number, I would be very grateful.

I never found anything either I ended up doing my one hack job and building my own double steering arm for spring under. Now I am using 4x4 labs arms and have gone spring over axle. Pretty sure Luke at 4x4labs can make you some spring under axle arms .. you will love the road manners with his setup.
Most drop pitman that u will find will also be short. Custom I think is really the best option

To close the loop on this search ... Parts Mike worked really hard on this quest and came up with what I think is an outstanding solution. Installed last night and everything works perfectly. Good turning radius, no bump steer at all, heavy duty parts, easy install.

Their (PM1104) pitman, modified off a Superlift 1104 (excellent suggestion off the top of Mudrack's head!), is 3.5" drop, 6.5" center to center. It takes GM 1 ton TRE (EX2234LHD). That couples to a DOM 1.25" - .25" wall threaded tube with 7/8" - 18 threads (TT30H). Cut the RH end off to your length and weld on a FJ80 bung insert (TG130319-KIT). Ream (Reamer is TG130319-KIT) your stock 40 Tie Rod to accept an FJ80 RH TRE (FJ80R).

Don't let all this scare you away. It literally took me 5 minutes to ream the TR with a 1/2 drill and, because of waiting to cool between welds, 1 hour to weld, 15 min to paint, 15 min to put it all together. The end result is as near perfect as I could hope for and way heavier duty than AA or CJ5/7 conversion parts.

not sure what you need but the square body gm trucks you could get a drop arm for the lift kits have on or 2 here if i can find one i will measure it for you

80's Wagoneer pitman with GM high angle at the top, 60 series ends at the other three positions. 4" lift comprised of 4" rear springs plus
2 1/2" springs and S/R reversal up front. The Wagoneer arm has a bit more than a 1"drop

IMG_2046.JPG

I definitely needed at least a 3" drop pitman. Looks like your steering box is mounted a couple inches lower than mine, which I'm guessing makes the 1" drop work ok.

upload_2018-6-9_17-48-27.png

mark

try looking for a gm square body pitman arm from a 4x4 there are several different drops for those trucks 84 or so

It sounds like the OP has found a solution.

For reference, Scout II pitman arms are ridiculously long... 9.5" C-C off the top of my head. I can't tell you how, but they can be heated, re-bent, and re-treated to make a custom arm without cutting and welding. I can snap a picture of the spare I have if google won't show you one. It also has a big area where a new taper could be drilled and reemed.

1. Jeff, your Headers are going to "MELT" inside that Header wrap, they will end up full of cracks all over their entire surface. Normally Header wrap is only used by (a) racers who remove the wrap after every race, or (b) innocent souls who don't know how badly their Headers are going to melt.

2. Only dropped Pitman arm I have right now is my ebay #253745599139.

I think Kurt @cruiseroutfit carries drop pitman arms. I seem to recall him offering dropped options when I grabbed mine a couple years ago. Not sure he had options up to 4” though...

I think Kurt @cruiseroutfit carries drop pitman arms. I seem to recall him offering dropped options when I grabbed mine a couple years ago. Not sure he had options up to 4” though...

We stock 0-5" as I recall.

@cruiseroutfit
0-5" ?
How long horizontaly. ?
Drop ?

I'm currently overseas do best bet would be to inquire with the shop 801-563-1277

Edit, looks like we stock up to the 4" range. We can order 5/6" and they may have one in the shop.

20180919_045418.jpg

Last edited:
1. Jeff, your Headers are going to "MELT" inside that Header wrap, they will end up full of cracks all over their entire surface. Normally Header wrap is only used by (a) racers who remove the wrap after every race, or (b) innocent souls who don't know how badly their Headers are going to melt.

2. Only dropped Pitman arm I have right now is my ebay #253745599139.

Not sure why I missed this way back when ... but fyi, header wrap has been on these SOR headers for over 15 yrs. If they are cracked, I can't tell in any way. I can say my engine bay stays really cool, even when over 105 deg outside.

Ranger Jeff, I'm glad for you, you are a lucky guy. Normally guys find hair line cracks all through their Headers when they remove the Header wrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom