TPS Sensors - Reset (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.markkuz.com
So over the weekend I had four of my wheels changed out to 4Runner wheels with new tires. I didn't have the fifth wheel yet so I left the spare alone. No matter what pressure range I tried the light would not go out. So I figured it had something to do with the mix matched wheel and tire in the spare.
The 5th wheel is on it's way and I had someone interested in the tires so I removed the spare wheel and tire. Light is still no even with the fifth sensor away from the vehicle.
I saw a Youtube Video that said you had to hold the TPS button for 30 seconds to reset it but doing that still no luck. It just blinked once when I first pushed the button and stays lit even after 30 seconds of holding it.

So is the problem now the fact that I don't have all 5 sensors in working order and just 4 of them?

Am I doing the reset correctly with the ignition to the ON position then pushing and holding the button for 30 seconds?

Since threads are useless without pics! :hillbilly:
27c6219a-11ca-4732-9c7d-297b2d665acd-jpeg.1641896

I believe the TPMS sensor IDs have to be programmed to the ECU. When I went to that screen in Techstream, it was prompting for specific sensor IDs (x5).

The wheels look nice and clean.

I believe the TPMS sensor IDs have to be programmed to the ECU. When I went to that screen in Techstream, it was prompting for specific sensor IDs (x5).

But they are the same sensors? The shop just unscrewed them from the old wheels and put them in the new wheels.

@HomersCanyonero

Thanks, I am pretty happy with them for $200 plus $89 for a fifth one on eBay. I was hoping to paint them but too much work just for me to scratch them up.

But they are the same sensors? The shop just unscrewed them from the old wheels and put them in the new wheels.

@HomersCanyonero

Thanks, I am pretty happy with them for $200 plus $89 for a fifth one on eBay. I was hoping to paint them but too much work just for me to scratch them up.

Ahhh. Sorry, misread. If you're missing one of the five, the light should be blinking. Solid means low pressure, which is weird...hrm. Do you have techstream to take a look? Maybe one of your sensors was damaged during the swap?

Maybe this should be in the things you didn't know about your GX, but there are two modes on the TPMS - presumably the secondsis for a set of snow tires.

Check first to make sure it isn't in the wrong mode. Light was on when I bought mine. Used it to bargain, figured out the next day when reading the manual! There was no issue.

I don't have my manual handy but I think I just had to press the button to swap modes.

I have heard that discount can do it, never check to see. I just did the bypass when I had 2 go bad in one year. funny thing is that my iData hookup on my pioneer shows me the psi readout

Any tire shop should be able to look at it for you.

Yep...any tire shop can help you...

Ha, not the tire shop I had them installed at. But it is in the hood and swapping two sets was cheap.
I did order the tires online with Discount so I will probably take it into them if the reset doesn’t work once I have all 5 tires on.

As long as all the 'original' sensors you began with are aired up properly, you should not have reprogram sensor IDs into the ECU.
It's when you change sensor IDs.
TPMS sensors typically last 10 years, I just swapped a set with Denso sensors.
That reset button is all it should take.
My research has led me to believe the TechStream does NOT read the sensors over the air.
I ended up getting an Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 to save me the hassle of going to the tire shop/dealership to reprogram, since I plan to juggle wheels.

I wish they lasted 10 years, on my GX470, three where replaced the year before I purchased by a Lexus dealer and since then I have been told 2 are bad, yet the read on my pioneer head unit. Also girlfriends 2015 GX460 has one bad already. Toyota is behind the curve on TPMS, with my 2013 JKUR, you put a new one in and drive it, about 5 miles later it tells you the pressure, not just an idiot light.

As long as all the 'original' sensors you began with are aired up properly, you should not have reprogram sensor IDs into the ECU.
It's when you change sensor IDs.
TPMS sensors typically last 10 years, I just swapped a set with Denso sensors.
That reset button is all it should take.
My research has led me to believe the TechStream does NOT read the sensors over the air.
I ended up getting an Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 to save me the hassle of going to the tire shop/dealership to reprogram, since I plan to juggle wheels.

It doesn't appear to -- it specifically asks for the sensor ID when you run through setup.

I wish they lasted 10 years, on my GX470, three where replaced the year before I purchased by a Lexus dealer and since then I have been told 2 are bad, yet the read on my pioneer head unit. Also girlfriends 2015 GX460 has one bad already. Toyota is behind the curve on TPMS, with my 2013 JKUR, you put a new one in and drive it, about 5 miles later it tells you the pressure, not just an idiot light.

The TPMS sensors report pressure (you can read it from Techstream, with a bunch of other info - temperature etc), there's just no native UI to read it.

The TPMS sensors report pressure (you can read it from Techstream, with a bunch of other info - temperature etc), there's just no native UI to read it.

I know it reads it, I see through my head unit and Toyota is behind the curve not giving us that information in the dash.

I wish they lasted 10 years, on my GX470, three where replaced the year before I purchased by a Lexus dealer and since then I have been told 2 are bad, yet the read on my pioneer head unit. Also girlfriends 2015 GX460 has one bad already.

I've got 9 years so far on all 5 of the TPMS sensors on my GX, so hopefully I'll make 10 years. I have a German car too, and all of its 4 sensors had to be replaced within 6 years. Supposedly those are only rated for 5 years. :poop:

So over the weekend I had four of my wheels changed out to 4Runner wheels with new tires. I didn't have the fifth wheel yet so I left the spare alone. No matter what pressure range I tried the light would not go out. So I figured it had something to do with the mix matched wheel and tire in the spare.
The 5th wheel is on it's way and I had someone interested in the tires so I removed the spare wheel and tire. Light is still no even with the fifth sensor away from the vehicle.
I saw a Youtube Video that said you had to hold the TPS button for 30 seconds to reset it but doing that still no luck. It just blinked once when I first pushed the button and stays lit even after 30 seconds of holding it.

So is the problem now the fact that I don't have all 5 sensors in working order and just 4 of them?

Am I doing the reset correctly with the ignition to the ON position then pushing and holding the button for 30 seconds?

Since threads are useless without pics! :hillbilly:
27c6219a-11ca-4732-9c7d-297b2d665acd-jpeg.1641896

My TPS act kind of futzy alot. When I air down the sensors will come up, sometimes solid, sometimes blinking. But they've always gone away after a bit of driving. Once, even after re-pressurizing, they blinked all the way from Pismo beach to Atascadero (30 miles). And then a few weeks ago they went out almost immediately after pump up, at death valley.

I believe all 5 of mine are original and are 13 years old now.

I wonder if make sense to just replace them everytime I get a new set of tires, which is like every 5 years. Or maybe just every other tire change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom