Death Valley trip looking for input (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@beno @Cruiserdrew Truer words have never been spoken. See last photo....

IMG_3914.jpg
IMG_3943.jpg
IMG_4047.jpg
IMG_4295.jpg

Pre 1800's when there was real horse power in front of the wheels.
Ain't horses. Them there are mules. (Replied only to get subscribed. :moon:)

Great stuff so far guys, I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know what the repeater situation is down there? @alvarorb I came across a post of yours on ExPo where you mentioned having a file, but I couldn't open it for whatever reason. Do you mind sharing it here?

A word about Saline valley...

In response to recent bad behavior by certain "Jeep clubs", and in lieu of any posted regulations, the folks that consider themselves to be the stewards of this unique place have put together a list of rules that can be passed on to internet groups. I didn't create this, just thought I'd share.

Thanks for visiting Saline Valley Hot Springs.

For all visitors new and old, please respect and follow the rules below to keep Saline pristine.

1. Do not camp within 100ft of the hot spring pools or sources.
2. Pack it in. Pack it out. Do not leave garbage in the bathrooms or campfire ash.
3. Shower and use the foot bath before entering the hot springs.
4. Do not bring glass anywhere near the pools.
5. Keep dogs on leash at all times and pick up after your dog. No dogs in pools! Beware - Coyotes will attack and eat small dogs.
6. Keep all food in vehicle when away from camp. Burros, coyotes, and crows will eat your food!
7. Quiet time is at 9pm. Noise travels in the desert. This is NOT burning man!
8. Do not paint, draw, or graffiti on rocks or structures.
9. Do not feed the wild animals. Burros, coyotes, crows, rabbits.
10. Do not drive off the main roads. This means no donuts, or showing off. Slow down to keep the dust down.

If you are unsure about any rules, please ask!

Thanks for reading and enjoy your visit!

Heading out to DV this weekend with my 11yo daughter. It'll be our first off-road trip together. Plan is to do Ballarat into Striped Butte and through Warm Springs, then racetrack and down Lippincott into Saline Valley. I've done the route in my old Jeep a few times, but looking forward to taking the pig this time.

A word about Saline valley...

In response to recent bad behavior by certain "Jeep clubs", and in lieu of any posted regulations, the folks that consider themselves to be the stewards of this unique place have put together a list of rules that can be passed on to internet groups. I didn't create this, just thought I'd share.

Thanks for visiting Saline Valley Hot Springs.

For all visitors new and old, please respect and follow the rules below to keep Saline pristine.

1. Do not camp within 100ft of the hot spring pools or sources.
2. Pack it in. Pack it out. Do not leave garbage in the bathrooms or campfire ash.
3. Shower and use the foot bath before entering the hot springs.
4. Do not bring glass anywhere near the pools.
5. Keep dogs on leash at all times and pick up after your dog. No dogs in pools! Beware - Coyotes will attack and eat small dogs.
6. Keep all food in vehicle when away from camp. Burros, coyotes, and crows will eat your food!
7. Quiet time is at 9pm. Noise travels in the desert. This is NOT burning man!
8. Do not paint, draw, or graffiti on rocks or structures.
9. Do not feed the wild animals. Burros, coyotes, crows, rabbits.
10. Do not drive off the main roads. This means no donuts, or showing off. Slow down to keep the dust down.

If you are unsure about any rules, please ask!

Thanks for reading and enjoy your visit!
I usually only check out the "Road Conditions" section on that forum - I should branch out once in a while.

Heading out to DV this weekend with my 11yo daughter. It'll be our first off-road trip together. Plan is to do Ballarat into Striped Butte and through Warm Springs, then racetrack and down Lippincott into Saline Valley. I've done the route in my old Jeep a few times, but looking forward to taking the pig this time.
That's awesome, should be fantastic.

I have gone a few times with the whole fam, once with only my oldest boy (9 yo then), and once with both my oldest and youngest boys. Now that we're gearing up to go again as a whole fam, it's all the kiddos talk about. We're laying down some seriously good memories for the little dudes, and they're loving it.

20170415_073421.jpg

I'm thinking about heading to DV March 30 to April 4th, anyone else be out that way during that time frame?

I usually only check out the "Road Conditions" section on that forum - I should branch out once in a while.
Yeah, just know that it is NOT a truck forum. When the discussion turns technical, it can be downright laughable with the misconceptions people have about 4WD.

Great stuff so far guys, I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know what the repeater situation is down there? @alvarorb I came across a post of yours on ExPo where you mentioned having a file, but I couldn't open it for whatever reason. Do you mind sharing it here?

I would suggest googling around, and find some info. Mt Potosi and Keller Peak get southern DV coverage, there are machines above Bishop and Mazourka Peak that cover portions of SV. I have the Repeater Locations Guide by Kevin Karamanos (avail at Ham Radio Outlet, sometimes) that has decent info. It is a matter of scrolling through the listings an seeing which machine you can chunk. One machine doesn't cover the whole valley.

I did rag chew while driving over Steele Pas simplex with a guy in Deep Springs Valley, simplex

For better or worse cell network coveage from cells at FurnaceCreek and Stovepipe Wells

Last edited:
I'm thinking about heading to DV March 30 to April 4th, anyone else be out that way during that time frame?

I have the 24th-31st open and want to go for a few days.

I would suggest googling around, and find some info. Mt Potosi and Keller Peak get southern DV coverage, there are machines above Bishop and Mazourka Peak that cover portions of SV. I have the Repeater Locations Guide by Kevin Karamanos (avail at Ham Radio Outlet, sometimes) that has decent info.
For better or worse cell network coveage from cells at FurnaceCreek and Stovepipe Wells

Yeah I compiled a crude list from various net based sources, but many of those were fairly dated at this point.

I have the 24th-31st open and want to go for a few days.
Those overlap fairly well with our dates.

Took advantage of a rain free day to do some prep for this trip- new coolant, new gear oil in diffs/tcase, oil change, new PS fluid, completed an outstanding wiring task, replaced a broken dome light switch and most importantly for the quality of life on the long drive fixed (at least for now) a rattle on the rear swing outs and the horrible drone from my exhaust leak.

@ewillis It could be cool to link up at some point, unless we're too tame for what you're thinking.

Leaving Portland 3/24 should be in Furnace Creek area sometime on the 26th.

I am planning to be there 3/22 and 3/23.... just making the best of a quick trip to the Peoples Republic, I've got to go to a wedding on 3/24 so I figured we'd camp a night or two in death valley. We're in a semi-built 100, maybe we can meet up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom