Death Valley trip looking for input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took advantage of a rain free day to do some prep for this trip- new coolant, new gear oil in diffs/tcase, oil change, new PS fluid, completed an outstanding wiring task, replaced a broken dome light switch and most importantly for the quality of life on the long drive fixed (at least for now) a rattle on the rear swing outs and the horrible drone from my exhaust leak.

@ewillis It could be cool to link up at some point, unless we're too tame for what you're thinking.
Too tame? Nah...I'll likely be around 26th/27th depending on schedule and will be cruising with two kiddos so no shenanigans for me! I'll hit you up via PM this weekend and maybe we can link up for a bit...

Trip was fantastic. Didn't link up with @ewillis and barely saw any LCs until Saline Valley. Cruiser handled highway and and offroad conditions without a hitch except the extremely washboard roads after Racetrack to Saline Valley Springs backed off a nut holding on my light bar. If i return it will certainly be with more time.

I was also a little disappointed in how graded some of these roads were. Part of it was my route was limited from the non-lifted company I kept, but even Lippincott Road was easier than I'd imagined. I think part of it is I have very little experience in bonafide desert like this. I'm amazed at just how much more traction you get in the dusty desert on rocks and sand vs rainy wet snowy root covered trails I'm more familiar with in the PNW.

Saw several (what I believe to be) f/18 Super Hornets dog fighting as well as what I believe to be a C130 dropping down over us on Hunter Mountain into Panamint Valley. Sometimes close enough for us to see the afterburners on the jets.

Thanks to everyone on here for sharing tips and insights. It's just one more reason this community is one of the absolute best on the net.

Of course this thread would be worthless without photos....one of the guys who came with is an amazing photographer and posted some of his shots here:
Death Valley - glassriverphotography

Diggs84, great pics. I think my favorite is the jet flying by at Tea Kettle Junction. Nice timing on that one.

Looks like a great trip. DV is an amazing place with so much to see.

More (less professional) photos. Some awesome G wagens I would have loved to test out in DV. Alvord Desert Playa in SE Oregon and the mobile MASH unit we paid to stay in as a repreive from 20 degrees and relentless wind. Our camp site in Central NV and you'll see the hot spring we kept warm in all night. Met a woman in the AM at the spring who was out all night trapping sage grouse for conservation and she claimed in got down to 15. Our towels and shorts were frozen solid from the springs.

And lastly, if the Ballarat General Store doesn't exist in a couple years this picture will be proof of how they blew themselves up. The proprietor also claimed that 200 strippers and fire dancers were coming from Vegas and he had 50lbs of dynamite to blow up in the middle of the desert to close out the season.
IMG_6359.JPG
IMG_6381.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_6425.JPG
IMG_6594.JPG

Pic of stock TRD Off-Road Taco going through Mengel Pass. Managed to keep it squeeky clean (for now.)
Amazing old homesteads/mining camps out in these parts. No bums were stung in the usage of that out house. Much appreciated the good conditions these things were in. Does anyone know what MIB on these outhouses stands for?
The desert really dried me out so I had to flag down a Jeeper for my moisturizing needs.
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_6595.jpg

if the Ballarat General Store doesn't exist in a couple years this picture will be proof of how they blew themselves up. The proprietor...
Yeah, Rock is a real character. On one visit he asked me, "Do you want some ice cream? I just turned on the freezer." :lol:

@Diggs84 cool pics! I just returned myself from Saline, Panamints, and the Stovepipe wells area. I'll post some pics soon. The militarily loves to use the valleys as their playground. Nothing beats driving down Panamint Valley and have a F18 buzz by you and make you crap your pants! I'm around these things on a daily basis and it made me drive off the road lol

@Diggs84 cool pics! I'll post some pics soon. Nothing beats driving down Panamint Valley and have a F18 buzz by you and make you crap your pants! I'm around these things on a daily basis and it made me drive off the road lol

I know the feeling. For a split second, I thought I had a blowout or some other catastrophic failure when one blasted past us from behind. They also seemed to revel in buzzing tourists snapping photos at the lookouts between Panamint Springs and Hunter Mountain.

I know the feeling. For a split second, I thought I had a blowout or some other catastrophic failure when one blasted past us from behind. They also seemed to revel in buzzing tourists snapping photos at the lookouts between Panamint Springs and Hunter Mountain.

There's a canyon called Stat Wars Canyon, look it up on YouTube.

There's a canyon called Stat Wars Canyon, look it up on YouTube.

Yeah, Father Crowley point just west of Panamint Springs. You can park at the tourist attraction area. But the real deal (and where all the professional photogs go) is another 100 yards or so out to the overlook over the canyon into Panamint. Thats where you get epic shots.

Yeah, Father Crowley point just west of Panamint Springs. You can park at the tourist attraction area. But the real deal (and where all the professional photogs go) is another 100 yards or so out to the overlook over the canyon into Panamint. Thats where you get epic shots.

I think next winter or spring I will do that. @beno I'd say come on out but now you are like a million miles away!

@Diggs84 cool pics! I just returned myself from Saline, Panamints, and the Stovepipe wells area. I'll post some pics soon. The militarily loves to use the valleys as their playground. Nothing beats driving down Panamint Valley and have a F18 buzz by you and make you crap your pants! I'm around these things on a daily basis and it made me drive off the road lol

Not Father Crowley Point. Last Satureday. Too bad I wasn't ready for the two guys that came back the other way....

jet.jpg

Last edited:
His Dad was the real f-ing character.

Not to bump a thread from the dead but I went in there after hiking telescope peak (also a badass hike worth doing, if you're capable. It sucks but its worth it).
Was offered home butchered burro meat and hooch while checking out Manson's power wagon.
That place is ridiculous. I need to go back to DV soon. Weird mind-bending stuff happens there, often.

Death Valley is...well, magic. I can't get enough of it.

On our trip there this year in April, we brought a proxy of a coworker who had the means, but not the balls, to make the trip. Said proxy, pictured below, epitomizes the desert spirit.

20180408_084701.jpg

Death Valley is...well, magic. I can't get enough of it.

On our trip there this year in April, we brought a proxy of a coworker who had the means, but not the balls, to make the trip. Said proxy, pictured below, epitomizes the desert spirit.

Death Valley is a magical place! So much to see! and sadly most just see the touristy stuff. I love exploring the back mine roads that take hours to drive. Go where the average joe can't!

Is this a crazy stupid thing to do in early July? If so, is it purely because of the heat or do other factors kick in.

When I was there in early sept. last year it was 114* at 0930. Trying to sleep at 1AM at the lowest part of the valley it was zero wind and had to still be 100* turning any tent into a sauna since there was 0 wind.
I don't think its crazy to do in July but I don't think our trip was that crazy either. Bring LOTS of water and always get more when you can. I was drinking almost 2 gallons a day by myself but we also had a lot of time on foot.
Winter is the high season down there from what i've heard since its cooler out so if you can deal with the heat (which being from Orlando, I'm guessing you can) I say do it!

Thanks @Wompom. I am planning a run from the East Coast to the West Coast with a few days in Moab. Only starting to think about what happens after I leave Utah. Thinking about a run up to the Sierras and then maybe down through Yosemite and / or just cut through DV. Never been in DV before so that makes it more tempting.

Thanks @Wompom. I am planning a run from the East Coast to the West Coast with a few days in Moab. Only starting to think about what happens after I leave Utah. Thinking about a run up to the Sierras and then maybe down through Yosemite and / or just cut through DV. Never been in DV before so that makes it more tempting.

If you are from the East go visit DV, it just won't be that enjoyable that time of year in my opinion. TOO DAMN HOT, bring lots of water and make sure your vehicle is in good running order.

Dv is best to visit in the Spring/Winter. I was there end March into April and it was 80-90 degress. Not too cold at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom