Slee Headlight Harness Fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That may not be a correct assumption. I purchased a harness that looks very similar to the Slee harness from another vendor back in 1996 which was long before Slee Off Road came into existence.

Slee opened up in 1998, IIRC. The P O of my rig had done some sub contracting work for Christo, so I believe his claim that he installed a Slee Harness. I removed it and I found someone else that wanted it.

I think the idea was to use the original headlight harness as the trigger for the relay, the relay acted as the conduit to power the headlights. The Slee harness provided the power directly to the headlights via the relay. Power itself to the headlights is more direct. :wrench:

May want to check your EWD. IIRC, the power comes off of the main white wire in the fuse box by the battery, through the HD (50a?) relay, to the headlights. So the the aftermarket harness uses the output from the 50A relay to switch the 30A relay. On some older cars the power went all of the way to the dash, had benefit. Everyone of the aftermarket harness that we have measured, have delivered less, or best case same voltage as stock. At a loss to understand how the same or less voltage would make more light?

OIC..
I was wondering that, I didn't think it actually worked, any better than OEM wires in good condition..
In a non-ideal situation, it can come in handy as a patch, short of replacing the entire headlight harness, due to aging issues, and abuse, etc...

Learned more about my truck, thanks. :wrench:

Finally got around to doing this.

I will say no amount of reading up on the harness installation process really made it make sense to me until I got under the hood and started taking it apart, at which point it became obvious what to do.

I also found a damaged wire on my factory harness at the DS low beam. So in all fairness, I can't say for sure whether my problem really originated with the slee harness or my own factory harness. I fixed the damaged wire and junked the slee harness just to git'r'done and keep it simple. At any rate, everything is working and I finally have reliable headlights for the first time in 4 years! I guess I don't do much night driving :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom