1992 front suspension greasing?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. My 4x4 truck is making a noise when turning hard in either direction. It is a
squeaking sound as if it needed grease somewhere. However, I went under the truck greaser in hand and found nowhere to grease other than the shaft joints. All the rubber pieces look fine as well. Any idea what the issue may be?

Thank you.

It's your steering stops. Look for the bumpers on the swing arms, there's supposed to be plastic pieces on them but often they fatigue and fall off.

Edit: oh yeah, the plastic covers are on the knuckles. Like posted, just put some grease on the stops in the photo.

Last edited:
X2, easy fix.
driverscontrolarm-1.jpg~original

Thank you for your replies. I tried this and it didn’t work. The truck is still making the creaking noise when turning on tight areas. I’m thinking the issue is the ball joints needing greasing. The issue is that they don’t have greasing ports. Any idea how to do that?

Do they have a tiny plugs sticking out of the ball joints? They should have zerk fittings (grease fitting) but some replacements only have plugs in the hole to save 2 cents... If you have the plugs, you can remove them and get zerks for replace them.

I’ve seen some guys inject grease on the ball joints with a syringe. Have you tried that? I just had it aligned and I’d hate to pay for it again if I change parts on it.

Thanks.

Thank you for your replies. I tried this and it didn’t work. The truck is still making the creaking noise when turning on tight areas. I’m thinking the issue is the ball joints needing greasing. The issue is that they don’t have greasing ports. Any idea how to do that?

Click and Clack would ask you to mimic the noise, or better yet, provide a recording of it. IMO, there's a good chance it's still the first issue that's been identified here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom