Builds Project Killer B - 1988 BJ73 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An HS7 establishes that there is a legally-imported vehicle to validate the request for non-import parts.

Found a really nice oil separator/catch can... it has multiple mounting bosses on 3 sides, and the interior workings look pretty neat. The lower section is a swirl pot design, and the filter sits above in a separate chamber. It is made in Japan.

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

FS thread? Assembled? $?

The 15BFT is at the freight terminal in Albany!

This unit has what I believe to be a Toyota M155/Aisin AM5 transmission bolted behind it. This unit is neat in that it has an integrated oil pump which feeds all bearings, gears, and synchros (like the H15x Series). Beyond that even, is that the unit is set up for an external oil cooler. It has a cable shift mechanism, which is great for shift lever placement, but the added complexity may add to what could be a notchy shifting box. Of course, the t-case needs to be adapted.

The gear ratios are attractive for a wide ratio box.

1st. 5.099
2nd 2.91
3rd 1.652
4th 1.00
5th .674

Lol, only you! I'm not sure what it will receive.... but I'll keep it in mind.

That is an M8 bolt on the exhaust turbine support bracket. It's a CT12b... I bet it hits full boost (7 psi) before the throttle pedal can be stomped to the floor.

IMG_1894.JPG

Well, I hoped for the best, but planned for the worst.... this engine runs, has no bad noises, and outside cleaned up nice, but there is thin layer of black sludge coating everything inside the head. No sense fookin' around....REBUILD TIME! Can't wait.

Here is the diagram of the external oil to air gear box cooler on the AM5/M155. Should I utilize this transmission, I may add a thermostat, filter, and oil to coolant warmer to keep the lube at the perfect operating temp... hot or cold.

IMG_1898.GIF

The recently acquired 15BFT engine in my carriage barn needs some freshening. So being the way I am, a stock rebuild just won't do. I'll likely build the long block with the intention of running power in the 225 hp range, give or take 20hp.

The basic plan...

Bore the engine from 108 mm to 109 mm using the factory oversized pistons. This will bring displacement from 4104 cc to 4180 cc. The stock pistons on this engine are of the awesome oil gallery type. The oil jets shoot the oil into the piston gallery/chamber which then circulates through and draws out heat before draining out of the piston. Skirts will receive moly coating or WPC Treatment. Piston tops TBD. Rings will receive WPC Treatment.

The stock rods will be retained as they are far beyond adequate. They will be balanced. These have the 34 mm wrist pins, and while smaller than the 37 mm units used on the FTE, they are pressure fed oil up the center of the rod, which also cools the bushing. As far as I am aware, the FTE rods rely on splash lube for the wrist pins, which is why they needed to be upsized to 37mm. Additionally, the FT rods use a stud and nut to hold the caps on, the FTE has gone to bolts. If anyone has more info on these parts, please chime in. Wrist pins will have the super hard DLC coating applied.

The crankshaft is up the air... balancing with the flywheel and crank pulley is a must. Chamfer the oil holes for the mains and rods.

The oil pump will be blue printed.

An additional oil to air oil cooler will likely be added.

More to come....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom